Larcor69

416- 8 onan powered

Larcor69

Just picked this up, changed filter, oil, lubed her up, ran great for about 10 mins, then started lopping, even under load, engine goes from 3000 rpm to 1800 rpm up and down, would this be caused by a governor or a dirty carb? Thanks

• Like 1

ol550

I'll vote dirty carburetor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat: X 2

Larcor69

I put some seafoam in gas tank, if it persists after another tank of gas, guess I will get a rebuild kit,  Thank you everyone 

• Like 2

lynnmor

If you let it cool down completely and then it runs normally till it warms again, that is a sign of a governor problem.   If you run the engine at high speed, say 3200 RPM, and then it overspeeds after warmup with no change in throttle setting, let me know.   But yes, clean that carb to rule out problems in there.  Often you can clean the carb without buying parts.

Larcor69
Just now, lynnmor said:

If you let it cool down completely and then it runs normally till it warms again, that is a sign of a governor problem.   If you run the engine at high speed, say 3200 RPM, and then it overspeeds after warmup with no change in throttle setting, let me know.   But yes, clean that carb to rule out problems in there.  Often you can clean the carb without buying parts.

Larcor69

Yes,  I let it cool off for about 20-30 mins and it ran fine, doesn't sound as if it over speeds at all

WVHillbilly520H

Might be the ignition module, does it back fire and die, then once it cools down it fires back up.

Larcor69

No, it runs just rpms go up and down