Sign in to follow this  
DarylJ

800 Automatic towing

DarylJ

The 1971 800 Automatic has an Eaton 6 hydrostatic transmission.  Today I tried moving it without starting the engine (tow).  There is a small lever on the shift console that is to be moved from the “drive” position to the “tow” position when moving the tractor without starting and driving it forward or in reverse.  When doing this, I am assuming that both rear wheels should rotate together....but that is not what my 800 Automatic does.  When in the “tow” mode, pushing or pulling the tractor causes one rear wheel to rotate forward and the other backward.  Clearly, this isn’t the way it should work.  The tow valve’s console lever can be easily moved back and forth, so the external part of the valve is not impeded, but I can’t determine if there is an internal issue with the valve.  Anyone here with an 800 Automatic, or knowledge of how its hydrostatic system should work, care to offer some suggestions as to what might be causing this?  The tranny fluid was changed about a year ago and the reservoir screen is clean.  In normal “drive” mode, the tranny seems to work just fine.  I’m stumped on this...

Edited by DarylJ

gwest_ca

Don't know anything about this system but the wheels turning in opposite directions is an indication the tow valve is not being opened. The differential has to and is working because the input can't or will not turn.

Garry

DarylJ

Thanks for weighing in on this Garry.  It certainly seems that way, the valve isn’t doing what it is supposed to do.  Next will be to determine whether or not it is possible to free up the valve without pulling the hydro and disassembling it.  Not likely....