eibbed

Attach cup to spindle

eibbed

DSC01532.JPG.92ce892859df26b6c4dae46c63d23cb4.JPGHi guys, 

I was getting ready to install gator blades on my TORO 48" mower deck and noticed that one spindle cup was not where it should be when I removed the old blade.

DSC01535.JPG.277def74682e2cc911b451b94574ec4f.JPGDSC01534.JPG.4bfcbf85f0ceb248e9b2c5be240c9725.JPGThe mower deck is a TORO Model #78363 and Serial #8900333

How can I safely install the cup back on to the spindle?

DSC01535.JPG

gwest_ca

You would need to remove the spindle, add the cup to the spindle and reassemble.

Make sure the other parts are all there and in the correct order.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mower-deck-assemblies/78363-toro-48-side-discharge-mower-deck-for-5xi-garden-tractors-sn-8900001-8999999-1998/spindle-and-blade-assembly/

Garry

• Like 1

eibbed

Hi guys, 

I was getting ready to install gator blades on my TORO 48" mower deck and noticed that one spindle cup was not where it should be when I removed the old blade.  How do I get the cup back on the spindle?

DSC01535.JPG.277def74682e2cc911b451b94574ec4f.JPG

DSC01534.JPG

DSC01534.JPG

eibbed

Attached is picture of a spindle with cup properly attached.

Thank you,

Dave

DSC01532.JPG

eibbed

Deck is a TORO 48" Model# 78363,  Serial #8900333

eibbed

I haven't been able to budge the pulley on top, or the nut on the bottom.  Should one or both unscrew?  

cleat

You already have the nut off the bottom.

The hex you see is part of the shaft.

Pulley should just slide off now but is being held on by rust.

You may need to heat the center of the pulley to break the rust bond.

Here is a picture showing all the parts in roughly the right order.

5b91504477e28_Spindlesandpulleyscleanedupreadyforassembly.JPG.6a349bf2930190171956c061f8086c74.JPG.247662a66dbad99ce721648ac3b1f797.JPG

Here is an exploded parts diagram.

42 and 48 inch deck parts manual bolt lengths shown.pdf

Cleat

• Like 1

eibbed

Hi Cleat,

Thanks for your reply.

Once the pulley slides off, will I be able to slide the cup on the spindle and slide it back into the housing?

Dave 

eibbed

Hi Cleat,

I'll try the heat in the morning.

Thanks,

Dave

cleat
8 hours ago, eibbed said:

Hi Cleat,

Thanks for your reply.

Once the pulley slides off, will I be able to slide the cup on the spindle and slide it back into the housing?

Dave 

Yes, once the pulley is off the shaft will drop out.

Put a 1-1/8 wrench on the shaft hex underneath while holding the pulley with a strap wrench or wrapping an old belt around it and you might be able to turn the pulley on the shaft breaking it free.

Resist the urge to pry up on the pulley as that will just bend it.

Your does not look rusty so it should come off.

Make sure you have the spacer (#27 in the parts diagram) between the cup and the bearing.

There might be a small 'O' ring under the pulley on the shaft that you will need to slide up and off for the shaft to easily slide out.

I think this ring is just used to keep the spindle together during assembly at the factory so no big deal if it breaks.

Make sure to use never seize or at least grease on the shaft and it will come apart better next time.

Cleat

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

eibbed

Hi Cleat,

Unfortunately, I didn't get to work on the mower deck today.  I am looking forward to working on it tomorrow. and will keep you informed.

Thanks again for helping me.

Dave 

eibbed

No luck yet. 

I put heat on the pulley and tapped on it with a hammer.  I held a 1 1/8" socket on a breaker bar on the bottom hex nut.  Then I put a nylon choker around the pulley. it slipped.  Next I put a ratchet strap around the pulley.  It slipped too.  I put PB Blaster on the top of the spindle for it to soak tonight while I try to come up with something that won't slip.  I don't have an old belt so I am trying to think of something else.

Dave   

cleat

As a last resort because you might break the spindle housing you can back the pulley nut off until it is just flush with end of shaft then while supporting bottom of deck drive the shaft down through the pulley.

This might break the spindle housing at the snap ring groove so only do this if absolutely necessary.

Cleat

eibbed

I removed the pulley and  tapped the spindle down with a hammer and block of wood.  I can move it up and down by hand, but it will only go as far down as what you can see in the photo.  It acts like it is catching on something but I don't know what it could be.  Any suggestions?

DSC01540.JPG

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If it went that far it should go the rest of the way.

Has it gone far enough you can reach in with a set of bent-nose snap ring pliers and remove the internal snap ring? That way the lower bearing could come out with the shaft. Don't see how that would help because the shaft should already be through the lower bearing a ways meaning the bearing can't be seized to the shaft.

Garry

bc.gold

Looks to me that you or the previous owner has hammered directly onto the end of the spindle shaft, possibly mushroomed.

spinner.png

Edited by bcgold

lynnmor

Might be mushroomed, but it looks off center to me.  Tap it back a bit and spin it to see if it is bent.

eibbed

Now that you mention it, I think it may be bent a little.  Could that be keeping it from dropping out the bottom?  

eibbed

I tapped the spindle up again and spun it around.  I don't think it is bent.  The tip looks out of round and that is what was deceiving me.  When I tap the spindle up,  it  catches, requiring  me to tap it for it to go back down.  When it is down, I have to tap it  a little for it to go up.

DSC01543.JPG

DSC01549.JPG

Edited by eibbed
Clarify status of spindle

cleat

Clean and sand the shaft that you have sticking up. It must have a mushroom top or a burr on it.

You can tap it through with a punch if necessary.

Also, you can now unbolt it from the deck and get it up on a work bench where it is easier to work on it.

Cleat

• Excellent 1

eibbed

Hi Cleat,

Tomorrow I will do what you have suggested.  

Dave

eibbed

Thank you Cleat and Garry, 

The cup and spacer are on the spindle.

Cleat, per your suggestion, I polished the spindle and put anti-seize on it before putting it back on.       

I will put the blades on in the morning when it is cooler.

You guys are great!

Dave

Edited by eibbed
  • Thanks 1

eibbed

I neglected to mention that I used a 5 ton pulley puller I borrowed from Auto Zone and applied heat to the pulley neck with my blow torch. 

Once the pulley was removed, I tapped the spindle down with a hammer and block of wood and finally knocked it through the housing with a tap or two on my punch. 

Everything is now working great.

Thanks again,

Dave

Edited by eibbed