whman01

repair wheel hub

whman01

I have worked on many Wheel Horse tractors and one thing I find on many of them is the wheel hub is wallowed out in the keyway.  This allows the hub to rotate slightly on the axle.  This will give a feeling of slippage in the drive train or transmission.  I have even found them with a piece chipped out of the axle.  I know it is important to keep the setscrew tight to keep it from movement.  Anyway, has anyone found a way to repair these hubs short of replacing them?

• Like 1

Achto

The key way in the hubs on my last build were worn quite bad. What I did was broach a new key way 90 degrees to the old one. I then drilled & tapped holes above the new key way for a set screw. The original set screw hole I used for a second set screw against the axle. This tractor is used to pull a mold board plow & so far I have had no trouble. If you don't have a broach set, a machine shop should be able to do this for you quite reasonably.

IMG_20180403_185436110-min.jpg.0e92ec8bc674222ea3d514df748e602b.jpgIMG_20180403_185827224-min.jpg.7fe9c8b28210b41ad6c3b58c7bed6806.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

WHX??

Age old and pretty common problem here. If it's not wallowed out to bad or the axle is not too bad you can go with a new woodruff and add a second setscrew. Another alternative is to broach a new keyway in the hub. Others have used JB weld to or welded and reground to fix the chipping. Talk about posting at the same time Dan!!:lol:

20161018_165835.jpg

20161011_190252.jpg

20170211_160831.jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

whman01

That sounds like a good idea.  Its better than the JB Weld I thought about using.  I will check with my machinist friend.  Thanks.

• Like 2

WHX??

Your :text-welcomewave:

953 nut

:WRS:

Here is a thread by @Ed Kennell that shows how to save an axle.