dalez

Tractors and storage space

dalez

For you guys that restore as a hobby or to stay busy, what do you do with your finished tractors? If I do a tractor a year they would add up fast. 

Do you sell? Give them to family or just squirrel them away?

• Haha 1

Chris G

Well I have sold a few, gave my brother one and my dad two. But most there parked in a row or two waiting for there work detail to come up.

• Like 5

SPINJIM

Figure the maximum number you can store indoors, without your wife getting too upset.   When you get more than than ideal number, sell your least favorites.   Either that, or put an addition onto your storage area.   Someday, I might be able to get a car into my garage.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Machineguy
33 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Well I have sold a few, gave my brother one and my dad two. But most there parked in a row or two waiting for there work detail to come up.

I need a brother like you! You can adopt me as a brother and gift me a tractor if you need more room! 

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Machineguy
36 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The rest of us are NUTS.

I cannot confirm nor deny these allegations....:ROTF:

• Haha 4

Machineguy
1 hour ago, dalez said:

For you guys that restore as a hobby or to stay busy, what do you do with your finished tractors? If I do a tractor a year they would add up fast. 

We’re more like a group of enablers that allows tractor hoarding. Most of the people here have taken the first step and admitted they have a problem! 

:ROTF:

Fun hobby with many different approaches. Enjoy one a while and sell or keep an heirloom. Just a question of interest at the moment you’re in. Can’t decide, then keep it! That’s my way of approaching it. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
9 hours ago, dalez said:

This is the central unanswered question for a large number of Wheel Horse collectors!  

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I just keep saying I will the next the one

chip61

My intention has been to restore a couple of my Horses, but I have yet to do so. They all run, and I use several of them and I still want to restore my C160 and Automatic10. As far as storage, I have one at my house, an Allis Chalmers B112 and a Sears SS12 at my parent's place, 4 in Mathews along with a Farmall 140, and a friend borrowed my 310-8 last spring and I haven't seen it since! I have only sold one since I started collecting them and I wish I hadn't! 

I have a hard time selling tractors and trucks I guess I really do have a problem now that I think about it. :roll:

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

Most of mine are squirreled away, but I've sold a few over the years too. I told myself I was going to quit buying four or five tractors ago LOL :ROTF:

• Haha 8

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Machineguy said:

I cannot confirm nor deny these allegations....:ROTF:

I can definitely confirm

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JoeM

I pretty much gave up on restorations because of a zoning issue not allowing a building of size for storage.

My biggest issue is the left over parts. To good to scrap, not really interested in selling, just kind of keeping them. I end getting machines that I may want a few parts off of, then disassemble the rest and store under tarps. Maybe "parts hording"?

• Like 2

dalez

Great answers, I can relate to all of them. What about parts machines? Strip them down and and hang/box up parts or leave them whole and cannibalize as needed?

Joe- I posted this just as you posted your reply

Edited by dalez

rmaynard

Most of my restored ones have been housed in the next-door neighbor's garage. However, he passed away and the house is being sold. Looks like I only have until December to use the free storage. Hoping to add on to my existing 14' x 14' shed. 

• Sad 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, dalez said:

Great answers, I can relate to all of them. What about parts machines? Strip them down and and hang/box up parts or leave them whole and cannibalize as needed...

I like to have the parts ready for usage instead of having to have them removed from another tractor first.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like to have the parts ready for usage instead of having to have them removed from another tractor first.

You just like auctions too much. HA HA

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You just like auctions too much. HA HA

YYEEESSSSS !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

c-series don

I store them everywhere. In my basement,two sheds,garage and inclosed trailer. I'm pretty much out of room though. Which is why I'm really only interested in oddball implements and Wheel Horse signage and memorabilia. I have to store all these! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

pfrederi

I have all the ones in the picture have added 3 more since.  also have to house Farmall M, Case DC3, Case VAC. M-37, M274., Antique hayrake loader and hay wagon, Bush hog, 3 finish mowers, 7'Sicklebar.  Nothing stays outside but there is a bunch of shifting around if i need to get one out or work on something....

IMG_0085.JPG

• Like 5

squonk
On 9/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, roadapples said:

We've got a lot of squirrels here :ROTF:

sp2.jpg.bd8e3589329fbf9cf722ebd19f739642.jpg

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Yep, all of 'em trying to get a :wh: nut. 

Related image

• Haha 2

pfrederi

This has been a good year for the Hickory trees lots of nuts.  i will be finding them inside engine shrouds Under seats   every where in and on my equipment.

• Like 1