Sign in to follow this  
Machineguy

D-series pros and cons?

Machineguy

The D-series has been growing on me with their heavy capabilities. I’m putting some thought into making a “D” my next Horse. I was hoping to hear from you guys about them. The Good The Bad And The Ugly? Lol

You can PM me if you prefer. 

Edited by Machineguy

pfrederi

They are ugly...hard to work on and expensive to fix...but when they work they are awesome

IMG_0107.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

I had a D160 with an FEL. Seemed similar in size to my neighbors BX. I sold the tractor and refitted the FEL on a 520H. The D160 was under powered compared to a 520H. D160 had coupler issues with the splines on the hydro pump. I would say parts are getting hard to find too.

IMG00392-20110320-1831.jpg.4e96b7d9363597290285aaa89a1c7914.jpg

• Thanks 1

Skipper

I like the D's for their size and strength. Also like the direct shaft drive over belt. Their weight and size makes them way better at handeling a FEL and heavy rear attachments. The shaft drive rear and front PTO is simple and good.

That being said, they sure also have their week spots, and shortcomings too. Parts availability, turning radius of a million miles, under powered for what it is sized and planned for to handle, IMO that is. 2000 rpm pto with limited number of attachments. Oh and did I mention their looks. That sure is an acquired taste.:D

That being said, I haven't ruled out letting a D inn again. Don't really know why, since they land right in between what I in reality need. Must be that damn red bug that bid me again.  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1