Paul Boy

How to pull a steering wheel on an antique Wheel Horse

Paul Boy

I need some advice. Worked all afternoon and was unsuccessful at removing the steering wheel from a 1961 Wheel Horse tractor. How is the wheel attached to the steering column?  There appear to be two holes where I suspect that the wheel is secured, but I cannot find a way to loosen any type of a fastener. Has anyone had a problem with this? I have a wheel puller attached but that wheel is really on there. How do I get this off?

pfrederi

The two holes line up and there is a roll pin in there you have to drive out before you pull the wheel

The Tuul Crib

Lot and lots of liquid wrench let sit a day then lots and lots of liquid wrench!! Repeat as needed.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Items needed: A "roll pin punch" to drive the pin out. Lots and lots of penetrant fluid, a piece of 2 X 4 or 4 X 4,  a big hammer, and patients!

Put the tractor near a really big tree....wedge the 2 X 4 or 4 X 4 between the tree and the steering wheel where the roll pin is located.

This will assist you while driving the pin out.

• Like 1

953 nut

HEAT!

The best way to get the roll pin out and the steering wheel off is to heat the hub with a torch, apply paraffin wax which will run into the joint to lubricate them. Brace the steering shaft against a solid object while using a pin punch to remove the roll pin and a gear puller to remove the wheel. You can get more pointers from this download, it is for a different model but has good information.

Edited by 953 nut

squonk
4 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Items needed: A "roll pin punch" to drive the pin out. Lots and lots of penetrant fluid, a piece of 2 X 4 or 4 X 4,  a big hammer, and patients!

Put the tractor near a really big tree....wedge the 2 X 4 or 4 X 4 between the tree and the steering wheel where the roll pin is located.

This will assist you while driving the pin out.

If a tree is not available grab your M-I-L ! :)

• Haha 4

wallfish

At the bottom of the steering shaft is a gear, also attached with a roll pin but those always seem much easier to get out vs the steering wheel roll pin. Remove the gear from the shaft.There will also be a lock collar up on the shaft which keeps the shaft from just sliding up and out. You'll need to remove that as well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Paul Boy

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna sleep on it and work on it again tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Paul Boy said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna sleep on it and work on it again tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

If all else fails you can use a 1/4 inch carbide drill bit to drill the roll pin out.

peter lena

in addition to the, roll pin punch , size to size with hole , and lubricant, along with a 3 lb. hammer, you need a dead stop between the bottom of wheel and your seat frame. the seat frame is a solid bolt on area, that makes the perfect point to prevent your impact bouncing on the high end of the steering column. turn your wheel, so the spoke support is  facing down toward shifter, that is your strong wheel area . now if you have a heavy wood block , like a 4x4 ,cut that to jam between bottom of seat frame and spoke support on wheel. now your roll punch will have a direct effect, and not bounce. having done this a number of times for steering column bearings , it so simple its stupid. this is just my own experience, if you have an easier , simpler effective way , by all means use it. Pete