Hoosier Hydro 520

1987 314-A Hydrostat Oil Requirements

Hoosier Hydro 520

I recently purchased a 1987 312-A...Model 21-12KE03...so far I love this little tractor (besides the backfire when shutting down).My question is concerning Hydrostatic transmission fluid requirements and service.. I have read 2 different wheel horse manuals..1 says SAE30w, the other SAE20w. Both manuals say no service interval..Does any one know correct weight of oil to use??

And it would seem to me to be prudent to replace with new oil as I don't know history on tractor??

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Have heard here 10w 30 is the way to go. 

• Confused 1

roadapples

Should be 10w30...

Crib types faster than me....

Edited by roadapples
  • Confused 1

OHRob72

Try low throttle for about 10-15 seconds before shutting down and see if this stops the backfire. My dad's C165 would backfire if I shut it down without letting it run at low idle.for a few seconds. Worked for me but others might have a better fix to this. 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

My C160 also backfires if I shutdown at some throttle  I take it to idle like mentioned above and no backfire

• Like 1

520hC-120

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

Used 10w30 in my 520h tranny. Has worked great!

• Confused 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Hoosier Hydro 520 said:

recently purchased a 1987 312-A.

:WRS:

Your 312-A should have a Eaton 700 automatic transmission (no oil filter). If that is the case then there are two oil levels to be looked at. Take a look at page 16 of this manual (page 12 of the PDF). The Eaton 700 is not serviceable, just add oils.

Edited by 953 nut

Hoosier Hydro 520

Thanks 953..so Reading the pdf...SAE20w for Hydrostatic transmission fluid with 3/4 of a quart capacity..and no service interval.. This pump has no drain plug so would have to draw out oil from plastic resovoir on top..or would you just leave it alone?? I have no idea when this oil has been replaced if ever...

gwest_ca

Garry

953 nut

If your transmission is performing properly I would leave well enough alone. This manual covers your Eaton. I do not own an Eaton 700 and posted to correct the incorrect information posted by others. There are several threads on here covering the 700 for further information.

pfrederi

Newer engines have an anti backfire device.  Issue was the exhaust system is hot ..carbon build up etc.  When you shut her off the engine turns over several times sucking in fuel mixture no spark to ignite it it gets blown out to the muffler build up and hot spot ignites it,  newcarbs have a solenoid that shuts off the fuel when the switch is turned off.  Let her idle down..cools off exhaust system and the engine turns over fewer time after shut off pumps less unburned gas into muffler.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, Hoosier Hydro 520 said:

Thanks 953..so Reading the pdf...SAE20w for Hydrostatic transmission fluid with 3/4 of a quart capacity..and no service interval.. This pump has no drain plug so would have to draw out oil from plastic resovoir on top..or would you just leave it alone?? I have no idea when this oil has been replaced if ever...

You could use a turkey baster to draw it off. There actually is a drain plug on the transmission but difficult to find. The transaxle  has its own oil sump with a drain plug underneath. It should be a 1/4" allen head plug.The transaxle uses 10W-30 motor oil.

With regards to the backfire, each time it does backfire it affects the muffler. It will eventually split. On the Kohler 5xi tractors, a shutdown procedure to prevent backfires was to allow it to idle down and then give it full throttle while turning the ignition off.

Hoosier Hydro 520

I don't think this eaton pump has a drain.. the transaxle does..1/4" plug..I have already changed that.It takes 10w30.but the hydro reservoir is separate on this unit..

I may take your advice 953..sometimes leaving well enough alone is best..I just hate to leave that pump oil in there not knowing how nasty it is..Maybe that turkey baster idea..

as for the backfire,,,I tried it all...low idle,,fast idle,,mid idle,, changed plug, seafoam,,marvel mystery oil, now back to standard gas. It made no difference..still sounds like a deer rifle when I shut it off

• Like 1

953 nut
50 minutes ago, Hoosier Hydro 520 said:

backfire,,,I tried it all...low idle,,fast idle,,mid idle,, changed plug, seafoam,,marvel mystery oil, now back to standard gas. It made no difference..still sounds like a deer rifle when I shut it off

If you engage the PTO momentarily to load the engine (presuming there is a mower or snow blower hooked to it) the load will stop that.