Skipper

Snow blower education wanted

Skipper

Not being from a place that sees much snow, I have never had much use for knowledge about snowblowers. But, now my curiosity is itching.

So my big question is: 1 stage or 2 stage? What's best, and can I just assume that the second stage just helps throw the snow further, or whats the full story?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

The 2 stage will break up hard snow and feed it to the impeller.  A single stage will have a hard time when the full face of the auger is digging packed snow.  Both will work under most conditions, with the 2 stage being the winner when the going gets tough.  If you are not in a heavy snow area, I would actually prefer the single stage.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Kurt-NEPA

I've run both single and 2 stage blowers.  Both get the job done. A two stage can handle heavy and wet snow better, but takes more Power.  And yes, a two stage will throw snow further.

I've always felt a single stage will handle up to about 10 inches (250mm) with ease, above that you have to really slow down and take half cuts.  But is will get the job done. Above 10 inches the two stage comes into its own.  It will really pay off in drifts, I routinely get 36 in (1 meter) drifts, so its a two stage for me.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Thank you so much good folks!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

No doubt the 2 stage will eat more snow faster.  You have to consider how much snow you get and how often. as they are more expensive and require more ponies to run them.  Other consideration can you dedicate tractor to blower duty.  Single stages are a pain to wrestle around into storage and back on to the tractor.  Two stages are considerably worse as they are heavier and bigger.

• Like 4

squonk

Single stage 14 HP almost hitting the street light. :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Skipper
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

No doubt the 2 stage will eat more snow faster.  You have to consider how much snow you get and how often. as they are more expensive and require more ponies to run them.  Other consideration can you dedicate tractor to blower duty.  Single stages are a pain to wrestle around into storage and back on to the tractor.  Two stages are considerably worse as they are heavier and bigger.

I get your point. But I'm kind of defect, or perhaps just wired a bit wrong. I do not mind paying a bit extra, just for knowing that I got the better option, even if it is crazy overkill. HP to run it is not a concern. got enough of those, and more in the making. :-) and how often and how much use? well last time we got so much snow that we couldn't just drive thru it was 3 days in 2009, so I guess it would mostly just be a nice to have "if" kind of thing. Would just have to mount it if we ever get a real winter again here. Not much sense having it mounted permanently with that little use.

• Excellent 1

Skipper

Is there any difference on then with respect to the road type. I have a quarter mile gravel road, so if one is good on gravel roads, and not the other, that will be a big deciding point.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Is there any difference on then with respect to the road type. I have a quarter mile gravel road, so if one is good on gravel roads, and not the other, that will be a big deciding point.

keep your skids high and keep shear pins on hand and watch where you point the chute.  then in the spring have the kids pick stones out the grass 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Single stage 14 HP almost hitting the street light. :occasion-xmas:

When I had my single on my 520 even 15-18" snows were chucked like that. 

3 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I've run both single and 2 stage blowers.  Both get the job done. A two stage can handle heavy and wet snow better, but takes more Power.  And yes, a two stage will throw snow further.

I've always felt a single stage will handle up to about 10 inches (250mm) with ease, above that you have to really slow down and take half cuts.  But is will get the job done. Above 10 inches the two stage comes into its own.  It will really pay off in drifts, I routinely get 36 in (1 meter) drifts, so its a two stage for me.

Also when I had my tall chute single on my 520 it did just fine in 18+" snow falls the 2 stage now just handles wet heavy or DOT packed plow banks better plus I installed one of those "0" clearance rubber impeller paddle kits eliminates 99% of chute clog/freeze ups...

36 minutes ago, Skipper said:

now on your question I would from my experiences use only a single stage on a gravel driveway as I tried last spring to help out my BIL on his gravel driveway and ruined my impeller kit, as far as grass concrete or asphalt the 2 stage hands down...

IMAG1701.jpg

IMAG1705.jpg

IMAG4264.jpg

• Thanks 1

slufoot733

Single stage blower on a D200:

• Excellent 3