Sign in to follow this  
Rich16

How To Start p220 Onan Off WH

Rich16

I just got a running p220 Onan (engine off 520) and could use help in how to wire it up to start as a 'bare' engine.

There are some YouTube vids on 220's off machines but none show how the guys actually wired them up to start - help?

I don't want to do anything (too) stupid and screw or burn something electrical up.

Bought the engine as a spare for the '91 520h I recently posted on the forum and want to get it tuned and ready to install if ever needed.

And yeah, it's kinda fun :-)

Many thanks for all the sage wisdom offered here.

• Like 2

WH nut

Just jump 12 volts the the+ side of the coil off jumper cables, ground the motor  and the + side of the cable to the large stud on starter and and jump solenoid.

• Like 1

Rich16

Thanks WH nut - my electrical skills are poor and I kinda sorta understand what you're saying but just to be sure.

You lost me after grounding the engine.

Can I use the battery on one of my horses (without removing) similar to jumping a car?

If I connect battery side + to + on the coil and then ground between tractor frame to engine. What is the large stud on the starter?

I only see two similar screw contacts on the solenoid along with a small clip connection between them. Is one of these where I connect positive?

Apologize for my electrical ignorance - just don't want to screw anything up!

WH nut
13 hours ago, Rich16 said:

Thanks WH nut - my electrical skills are poor and I kinda sorta understand what you're saying but just to be sure.

You lost me after grounding the engine.

Can I use the battery on one of my horses (without removing) similar to jumping a car?

If I connect battery side + to + on the coil and then ground between tractor frame to engine. What is the large stud on the starter?

I only see two similar screw contacts on the solenoid along with a small clip connection between them. Is one of these where I connect positive?

Apologize for my electrical ignorance - just don't want to screw anything up!

Yes use jumpers like you are jumping a car. Neg to ground Pos. to the the battery wire on starter. Take another jumper wire to the + one the coil. Use a screw driver or jumper wire from the battery wire on starter to the small terminal on solenoid to spin the starter.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Since the engine should not be operated without a battery connected, the output of the voltage regulator should also be connected.

• Like 2

Rich16

Lynnmor - do you mean the 12v off the center prong of the rectifier that charges the battery?

lynnmor
27 minutes ago, Rich16 said:

Lynnmor - do you mean the 12v off the center prong of the rectifier that charges the battery?

Yes.