Gary2

New to tractors . Need advice

953 nut
4 minutes ago, WH nut said:

Why push when you can blow

Wet heavy snow like we get won't blow, but it will role off a blade with ease.

WH nut
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I blow it wet

Gary2
14 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here we go again....plow vs blower   and weight vs chains.   And it's only September.

See my avatar … both of mine are ready, but it's been 4-5 years since I used the bower.  The plow is quicker and works better in the wet sloppy stuff....and it's more fun.

My go to snow remover.  The rubber chains are the bomb.

IMG_6697.JPG.c9076796309e4c73a0a98829c49684a5.JPG

Those rubber chains look great. I'm concerned about steel chains on my asphalt driveway. Where can I buy them?

peter lena

yes ,when its dry powdery snow my 42" single stage ,like above, really gets after it, but if its wet , its the other tractor with the blade, is the way to go. also, the blade makes it easy to keep after it ,as it melts or picks up more. having been doing this for years, you know how to get things done. pete

midpack

I agree on 2 machines. when it's wet the blade works best. I had cabs on both machines last year but was thinking of only doing the plow. when a snow storm turns to rain it's nice to have a roof overhead ;)

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

And there in lies the beauty of the 2 stage blowers (single stage are actually "throwers') wet heavy or light fluffy snow it doesn't matter...

895_1.jpg

• Excellent 2

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

And there in lies the beauty of the 2 stage blowers (single stage are actually "throwers') wet heavy or light fluffy snow it doesn't matter...

895_1.jpg

If I threw the snow that high it would all blow back on me and the driveway  I just need to throw it 10 feet or so and living on a windy hill no need to blast that high

• Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

If I threw the snow that high it would all blow back on me and the driveway  I just need to throw it 10 feet or so and living on a windy hill no need to blast that high

The wind was blowing about 20-25 mph gusts that day, cab equals pneumonia prone me stays warm and dry no matter what the wind is doing, plus it's also chucking it as far to the side as high, I had a tall chute single before the deuce and it threw it just good except for the real wet stuff or DOT plow banks, just my experiences and opinion, Jeff.

• Like 3

C-85

The 8hp should work perfect for plowing, this is what we use -

5babb3e9974a5_7-13-16pics346.JPG.6e74a22b0ae080716c5a12679aa777f0.JPG

C-85

• Like 4

pfrederi
1 hour ago, C-85 said:

The 8hp should work perfect for plowing, this is what we use -

5babb3e9974a5_7-13-16pics346.JPG.6e74a22b0ae080716c5a12679aa777f0.JPG

C-85

When I first glanced I thought the front weights were to give down pressure on the blade In which case I figured you must be some body builder to lift it with no hydro:P

Edited by pfrederi
  • Haha 2

Machineguy
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

When I first glanced I thought the front weights were to give down pressure on the blade In which case I figured you must be some body builder to lift it with no hydro:P

I did the same thing! 

• Like 1

Machineguy
On 9/25/2018 at 12:46 PM, Gary2 said:

Never owned a tractor. There is a c-81 I'm thinking of buying. Only need it for plowing my drive way. About 400 ft. An d steep. I'm concerned the 10hp. won't be strong enough.  Any help would be appreciated.

As you can see from the responses there’s a few different ways of thinking here. Light snow a blade is good or multiple passes with higher accumulation. Snow blowers are good for deep snow and heavier accumulation. More moving parts on snowblowers so maintenance will be needed there a little more than a plow. In my opinion they’re both fun! The one common element here is weight and traction. 

These little things will make the power, it’s more of a question of how to get it to the ground. 

Either is fun so just do whatever you think is best for you and have fun! :handgestures-thumbupright:

:WRS:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
9 hours ago, Gary2 said:

Those rubber chains look great. I'm concerned about steel chains on my asphalt driveway. Where can I buy them?

Go back and read post # 24.

• Like 1

Red144runner

One of my dealers told me the tractor itself requires 2hp to operate the transmission and move the tractor. Now, I’d assume he was talking about the manual trans, but not sure. The other factor would be the load on the tractor and plowing 12” of snow on a 4’ blade definitely uses more than 2hp. I plow my driveway and 200’ of sidewalk part uphill with my 3-12 8. Cast iron in the wheels, and 200lbs of cast iron suitcases on a reciver hitch. I run Carlisle AGs and had no trouble last year unless I was pushing a huge pile uphill. 

8hp will be fine like everyone said, traction and weight👍

• Like 1

Tankman
On 9/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, Ed Kennell said:

The plow is quicker and works better in the wet sloppy stuff....and it's more fun.

Been plowing with one Horse or another. 40+ years. Then the sons took over. Now the grandsons are “in training”.

Why? ‘Cause it’s fun.”  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Gary2

Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice.  I bought this C-81. It runs pretty good. I'm just going over it and getting familiar with it. First time tractor. I did notice this space on the left axle. Also there is space on the front axle that I can push the wheel in. Any thoughts

20180930_175356.jpg

20180930_175307.jpg

20180930_175431.jpg

20180930_175425.jpg