Gary2

New to tractors . Need advice

Gary2

Never owned a tractor. There is a c-81 I'm thinking of buying. Only need it for plowing my drive way. About 400 ft. An d steep. I'm concerned the 10hp. won't be strong enough.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 4

Achto

:WRS:  A C-81 should have an 8hp engine, unless it was changed by a previous owner. I would think that it would do well pushing snow. I would suggest adding weight to the back and also a set of tire chains.  

• Like 4

pfrederi

Welcome to RS.  A c-81 would only be 8 hp not 10 if the engine was original.  For plowing 8 hp or 10 is more than enough the issue is traction

• Like 3

WH nut

I would suggest a snow blower. 400ft is a lot of snow to push back.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Weights and chains...lots of weights your run out of traction plowing long before power even with 8hp

IMG_0064.JPG

• Like 6

WH nut
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Weights and chains...lots of weights your run out of traction plowing long before power even with 8hp

IMG_0064.JPG

I agree, for a short drive. With 400ft to push back he is going to have to start out 50ft wide.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

pfrederi

Snow Blower you will want more than 8 hp. 

also depends on how much snow you get and if it hangs around all winter or disappears between storms

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WH nut
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Snow Blower you will want more than 8 hp. 

also depends on how much snow you get and if it hangs around all winter or disappears between storms

And 8hp will do just fine as long as you arent trying to move 2ft of wet snow. He is in NJ, I think snow stays around along while.

jellyghost

For fun, I blade about a half mile of road with a 10hp engine.  I just tilt the blade, and it shoves the snow nicely to the side.  I have bladed up to 3inches, without the slightest problem.  I think an 8hp would be fine unless you get a 10inch snowfall.  I don't think NJ usually gets that type of snow.  I wouldn't mess with a blower.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

As long as you have some place to push the snow to there will be no problem plowing with an 8 or 10 HP :wh:. On the steepest portions of my driveway I can only plow going down hill, have to lift the plow on the return trip. Chains, wheel weights liquid filled tires and a weight box are all methods of improving traction for snow removal. I have used this 10 HP 1055 with a 42" blade for years and live on a mountain side. I plow about 300 feet of driveway with an elevation change of eighty feet. There are several threads on this site about liquid filled tires.

010.JPG.9041546ab0568ac32989133ca7189134.JPG5baa91248cefc_seattime001.JPG.29623d03f9176a17948e5f5a07414224.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

jellyghost

I would be happy to hear everyone's thoughts, but I think a good set of chains is more important than weights.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ed Kennell

Here we go again....plow vs blower   and weight vs chains.   And it's only September.

See my avatar … both of mine are ready, but it's been 4-5 years since I used the bower.  The plow is quicker and works better in the wet sloppy stuff....and it's more fun.

My go to snow remover.  The rubber chains are the bomb.

IMG_6697.JPG.c9076796309e4c73a0a98829c49684a5.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

KC9KAS

@Gary2:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I plowed with a B-80 for a long time.....weighted tires & chains!

• Like 1

Dan693

Maybe not apples to apples but I plow anything I want with my little dynamo LR. It turned over 3 inches of packed snow on my street like nothing.

I think weight and traction are the 2 biggies. I have a 100 pound weight box and ags and it never slips a tire. Pretty amazing and super fun to boot.

Grand total of 6.5 HP and powers through anything Indy weather can give......ok maybe not the '78 blizzard but thats another level lol.

Still plan to get the dang thing red though jeez

snow ranger.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, Dan693 said:

.ok maybe not the '78 blizzard

A lot of really BIG tractors had trouble that year....ask me how I know!

• Like 1

Gary2

Thanks  for all the great advice  gentlemen. My driveway and property look very much like 953 nuts driveway.  So I will be plowing down.  On another subject.I get the sense that these old rigs are built a lot tougher than say  a late model Craftsmen?  Yes? What are some of the known weak points of these machines and can I get parts?  Thanks again guys.     And special thanks to all the Vets on here for your service.

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Gary2 said:

these old rigs are built a lot tougher than say  a late model Craftsmen?  Yes?

Image result for yes      :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Gary2 said:

What are some of the known weak points of these machines and can I get parts?

The biggest weakness of the :wh: is previous owners who neglected them. If they receive proper maintenance they will last a loooooooong time. bearings and seals for the transmission are all standard hardware items and Kohler engine parts are plentiful. There are some good dealers who salvage good used parts to be used to keep the rest of our herds going and a couple of our vendors have been reproducing new parts that are exact matches.

• Like 3

Tankman

Pushed snow, plenty! 40+ years ago 1st, 8 hp, never a problem.

Chains and weights, need 'em.

Weather man says, "Could get two feet."

I go plow every six inches, then back to the java, Another six, pushin' the cold wet white junque, then back to the donuts 'n coffee.

When the boys were ready, all I did was keep the gas can full and the rock salt nearby.

Kept the coffee brewing and the donuts comin'!  Back to the Sapranos, new episode tonight.  :ROTF:

Done plowing, backup into the garage. Wheels with chains on 2" x 6" planks, blade own on a wood block.

Water dribbles off. There are times Horse outdoors, waitin' for more snow. Tractor covered. :handgestures-thumbupright:

953nut's driveway heated? When I lived in NC never saw snow like that? Camp Lejeune. :rolleyes:

416-414-Plows-www.JPG.3480011e08410321bbb41d8db8733ada.JPGChristian_Plow-www.jpg.cc5bfc113f4a79e5c27ea181aef45c34.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Machineguy
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here we go again....plow vs blower   and weight vs chains.   And it's only September.

See my avatar … both of mine are ready, but it's been 4-5 years since I used the bower.  The plow is quicker and works better in the wet sloppy stuff....and it's more fun.

My go to snow remover.  The rubber chains are the bomb.

IMG_6697.JPG.c9076796309e4c73a0a98829c49684a5.JPG

Where would a guy get a set of those rubber chains Ed? 

SylvanLakeWH

Now for something a bit different... ran with chains and about 60 lbs added dumbbell weight first two seasons I had the :wh:...

Last year I experimented with no weight no chains and my 10 HP did just fine - 3 driveways - 100' long each - pretty flat... 2 asphalt - 1 concrete...Typical Michigan slop...

Trick is to do it a few times during big storms so there is somewhere to put the snow and easy to push...I usually do 3-4" a push and no issues. More seat time that way too...

Added benefit is no thumps ride and no marring of the pavement with chains...

I won't be using chains or weight again this year - maybe just lazy, but it really worked fine so I am not going to add the chains and weight to my fall workload...

:twocents-02cents: 

IMG_1603.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Tankman said:

953nut's driveway heated? When I lived in NC never saw snow like that? Camp Lejeune.

Solar heat!  I live in the mountains of Western NC about a half hour from the great Smoky Mountain National Park. We average three or four good snows each year.  Seems to only snow when temperatures are barely below freezing and that results in wet heavy snow. If I don't get the snow off the drive early in the day it will half thaw in the sunshine and then freeze to a sheet of ice over night.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Solar heat!  I live in the mountains of Western NC about a half hour from the great Smoky Mountain National Park. We average three or four good snows each year.  Seems to only snow when temperatures are barely below freezing and that results in wet heavy snow. If I don't get the snow off the drive early in the day it will half thaw in the sunshine and then freeze to a sheet of ice over night.

We often have the same problem here too.

WH nut

Why push when you can blow

Blowing snow1.jpg

Blowing snow2.jpg

Edited by WH nut
  • Like 2