ryanmfairbank

K181 Throttle Adjusment

ryanmfairbank

As you may know from my previous posts, I’m going through my k181 on my ‘77 B80, and one thing I’ve had difficulty with in the past that I’d like to fix is  my throttle control...it seems like I have very little fine adjustment...it’s either way low or way high...what can I do to alleviate this problem?

7987CACE-3D9D-4B0E-8305-D341425296B0.jpeg

ebinmaine

Without comparing it to the other couple of 8- Kohlers I have at home it looks like you've got everything in there correctly.

one thing that you could possibly do is punch in to the search window about how to adjust your governor.

I can't remember my situation exactly but I had a point where my Governor got out of adjustment.

not only did it run disgusting but it also did exactly what you're describing. Way too low or way too high.

As a side note, do you have the top shield for that engine?

pfrederi

Again the manual explains things well.

gov1.JPG

Gov2.JPG

Gov 3.JPG

• Excellent 2

DarylJ

Have you tried moving the small linkage rod to the outermost holes? I notice the rod is in the innermost holes currently. Doing so will give you a bit more throttle cable travel between slow idle and high idle speeds, giving you a little more latitude to adjust throttle speed.   From my own tribulations adjusting them, I have found that governor spring tension is quite critical in impacting how much throttle cable “working” range one will have.  If the spring tension is too great, most throttle adjustment seems to fall in the last half inch from the full throttle location.  If too little spring tension, you will not be able to achieve full throttle, particularly when the engine governor calls for it.  With some trial and error, loosen and relighten the throttle cable clamp, moving the throttle cable and speed control disc until the ideal spring tension can be found.  Also keep in mind that you have fine adjustment of the engine’s governed top end rpm by moving the throttle cable bracket, either clockwise or counterclockwise.  One more little feature.....that small drive pin.  Check to see that it is not interfering in some way with the amount of rotation in the speed control disc.  A couple of times, I have had to simply remove the pin to allow for enough rotation to give the spring ample tension.  Unless you are the original owner of the tractor, it is certainly possible a previous owner has been tinkering with the throttle adjustment as well....maybe for the better, maybe not.  

Edited by DarylJ
  • Excellent 1