Paul Boy

Engine Replacement for 1960 - 1961 Wheel Horse

Paul Boy

We recently acquired a very old Wheel Horse tractor, its quite roached and rusted and may have part from other Wheel Horse models. The tractor itself was kept inside a shed but the engine is another story. I am almost positive that we will have to do an engine replacement. The guy we got it from said that the original engine is a 3 HP engine and it is one that is placed under the operators legs and not forward under the hood. My question is what would you suggest as a possible replacement engine?  I will appreciate any advice you can give me.

stevasaurus

The 1960 and 1961's used both 4 hsp Kohlers or 5.5 hsp Tecumsehs.  I think most of the guys, if you can't find one of those would use a Honda, Predator, or a Briggs in that hsp area for power.  :)

Paul Boy

What info do I need to know before beginning a search for an engine for this project?

AMC RULES

Depends on what direction you want your project to go...a factory original restoration, or just get it going?

953 nut

As others have suggested you need to determine the goals you have for this :wh:. If you want it to be bone stock then a Kohler K-91 is the way to go, if you just want to drive it and have fun with it then the Harbor Freight Predator engine will save you a bunch of money.

The Tuul Crib

You might want to check with Lincoln at

AZ tractors. They might have something that would work.

Paul Boy
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Depends on what direction you want your project to go...a factory original restoration, or just get it going?

At the moment just getting it going would make my wife very happy.  Its not ever going to be original but we will keep looking for parts to make it as original as possible. I know the engine that came with the parts is toast so getting her running would be a plus.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Did a search for you...

PM'd you the link. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Pict here...

of my Suburban 400, for reference. 

20180514_172956.jpg.9acf91295558c33cd9380fa69b6e23c7.jpg20180514_170757.jpg.d4994876da91c1798fb32d72321c3516.jpg

• Like 2

Paul Boy
  1. Appreciate all of your help. I think what we have here is a cut up bunch of parts from different models. Not sure how it will work out but will be something to keep us busy until spring. Have several others that I want to work on but New England winters are just too cold to work outside without heat.
  • Like 1

redone

requesting a fair market value for a rebuilt 241 kohler. No history of whom built or parts used. It has been in storage for years.

thanks for your help

Bill

953 nut
4 hours ago, redone said:

requesting a fair market value for a rebuilt 241 kohler. No history of whom built or parts used. It has been in storage for years.

thanks for your help

Bill

@redone, to me if the engine has a uncertain back-story and is non-running I wouldn't pay more than $ 100.  If it is in good running condition and has no issues like smoking or strange noises I would probably pay $ 250.

When some people say something is "rebuilt" they only put in a set of rings and didn't have the engine machine as needed. The seller should pull the head off so the cylinder condition can be seen. This tutorial will give you an idea of what you should see inside.

• Like 1

Paul Boy

We've made a bit of progress with the 551 this week. In the process of fabricating the lower portion of the hood. I think that there is a good chance that the original engine may be usable but the wife thinks we should use a replacement engine for now. I looked into the Preaditor 212cc 6.5 HP model. Would that be a sufficient replacement for this horse? Would there be much modification needed to make this engine work?  I hope to be able to utilize the original gas tank with the new engine. Does anyone think this would be a feasible move to make.

551 AFTER RESTORE.jpg