nylyon

I need local help

nylyon

I have the small 15x6.00-6 tires on my 310-8.  One of the tires split and I bought 2 new ones along with 2 tubes.  It was a bear to get the old tire off of the rim and even harder to get the new one on.  I ended up going to a tire shop and 2 tire men with big tire tools cursed and moaned trying to get this little tire onto the rim and in the end, either they or I pinched the tube and now the tube needs to be replaced.

Anyone around me have the skills, patience or tricks to help me change these stinking tires?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I never tried it Karl.     Just sayin, maybe baking them in the oven at 150F for 30 minutes would help.    Don't forget to wear your oven mitts.

midpack

I've done the 8" fronts, They were a bear... about the only advice I could give you is to use soapy water on the bead.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

My Lincoln tire dealer is the only guy around with a tire changing machine small enough to do that.  May check with your Miller tire dealer.  They were not expensive, and for a few buck, I just picked them up when they called.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHNJ701

old tires thar are not being saved come off easy with a Sawzall 

• Haha 1

KC9KAS

I leave my motorcycle and garden tractor tires in the sun before I attempt to change them...It really helps!

CasualObserver

I do my own with that cheap little Harbor Freight mini changer... but if you don't want to futz with them, I'd check with an ATV dealer or find a kart-racing shop.

The 6" rims are kind of a pain to work with.

953 nut

I have bolted the 6" rims to a very sturdy work bench and used a pair of vise grips on the rim to keep the tire from spinning as I worked it around with three tire irons. Those 6" rims should be two piece like the 4" are!      :soapbox:

WHX??
20 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

I just tubed the 6" fronts on a A-81 and had no problem other than scratching new paint. :blink: I used nothing more than a pair of medium screwdrivers. I'm too cheap to buy a set of small irons. I did manage to pinch one new tube but I was trying to talk and chew gum. :wacko: Like KC9 I set them in the sun.

• Haha 2

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, CasualObserver said:

I do my own with that cheap little Harbor Freight mini changer... but if you don't want to futz with them, I'd check with an ATV dealer or find a kart-racing shop.

just curious do you like that changer I was going to buy one, I am getting tired of using big screwdrivers 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I'll lend you a hand Karl...

whenever you want, I'll be there.

• Excellent 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

just curious do you like that changer I was going to buy one, I am getting tired of using big screwdrivers 

@Zeek did a product review on that changer Jabel. ..think it's in instructionals or tools? Seems to me he gave it a favorable.

25 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

I'll lend you a hand Karl...

whenever you want, I'll be there.

Oh Oh .... make sure you have extra tubes and a first aid kit on hand Karl... maybe even 911 on speed dial....:ychain:

• Haha 1

953 nut
19 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

@Zeek did a product review on that changer Jabel. ..think it's in instructionals or tools? Seems to me he gave it a favorable.

Oh Oh .... make sure you have extra tubes and a first aid kit on hand Karl... maybe even 911 on speed dial....:ychain:

Here you go.

• Thanks 1

CasualObserver
22 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

@Zeek did a product review on that changer

Yep... That's the one.

• Like 1

WHX??

Thank you Richard I have issues with links on a tablet.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

CasualObserver
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

just curious do you like that changer I was going to buy one

Yes. I have both the mini and the larger one, and I like them both. Like Zeek's review, for what they are, they serve their purpose, and it's better than busting them with spoons on the floor! To me the biggest plus they have are the bead breaker. When doing some of these old tires, they can be rusted pretty hard to the rim.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have posted it before but I'll pop it up again my personal home made bead buster (unfortunately I welded it solid for 8" rims but it could be made to do 4",6",8",10 or 12" wheels...some angle iron, 1/2" x???  flat and 3/4-16 all thread, Jeff.

IMAG2326.jpg

IMAG2327.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

I hear ya Jason... I recently tried to bust a set of tires off cloride rims and ripped the bead to sidewall. The tires were actually in good shape and orginal 'Burb  tires. Might not have happened had I the proper tool(s). Going to try to save them anyway.

Nice Billy but on older stuff where you are trying to save a 60 year old tire or rim?? You have to go very easy. Especially if they have sat that long with the nasty in them

20180924_201811.jpg

Sorry if going off topic here Karl, you know how we get, might be best with Craig's offer but keep the speed dial thing in mind! :lol:

Edited by WHX20
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

With skinny or small tires, I’ve found that pinching one side with a c clamp helps a ton.  It will help you to keep one part of the bead in the center section of the rim, where it is a much smaller diameter and gives room to work the rest of the bead in.  I’ve also clamped the tire into a vise and worked the wheel into the tire.

• Like 3