ryanmfairbank

K181 will crank but not fire

ryanmfairbank

I recently rebuilt the fuel system from tank to carb, the ignition circuit, and replaced all the gaskets in my k181...it would start and run a week ago, but since replacing the gaskets, I can’t get it to fire. I’ve got spark...new plug, condenser, plug wire...I’ve checked the plug gap, and that it’s properly seated...not sure what else to do...

The Gman

Have you dribbled a little gas straight into the carb throttle body and/or into the cylinder to check that it will cough and  sputter for a few seconds? If not gas then starter fluid?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

It all boils down to fuel, spark, air/compression. Test each item and rule out till locate problem. 

• Thanks 1

ryanmfairbank

It’s coughing a bit and it backfired once or twice...I’m headed to work and will have to get back on it tomorrow morning...

This was my first project and experience working with a small engine, so I’m trying to learn how to troubleshoot...

Skipper

Make sure it is airtight from carb to head. Then take a look at the carb. It sounds like it does not get any fuel at all.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

520hC-120

The float on your carb may be stuck or the needle is. First tap the bowl of the carb GENTLY. If that does not work take your carb off. I’ve found that when a new carb kit is bought the fuel needle (in pic one) is a little too big and gets caught in the seat. So if this is the problem then use your original needle to fix it. I’ve had to do this trick over 5 times!

74A9D83D-3C31-4958-84BE-FB78ECAF5277.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Achto

This may seem like a dumb question, but most have us have been bitten by this once or twice - Is the gas valve on the tank open?

Did you replace the points? If so, do you have the gap set correctly?  An improper gap can cause the ignition to be out of time.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

The only proper way to set ignition points is to use the Static Timing method. The points gap sets the ignition timing and you don't have to be too far off to make a big difference.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

A pair of small gator clips on the leads of your multi meter will be very helpful.

• Excellent 1

ryanmfairbank

@953 nut Thanks for this information...I decided to try this first, but I’m not sure that I completely understand this...I have checked multiple times and the point at which the points open is not even close to the “S” mark...so, what does this mean by “vary the point gap...to either side”? I’m not sure what I’m adjusting...the points open based on the plunger which rides in the cam, right? So how am I adjust when they open? What am I missing here?

Edited by ryanmfairbank
  • Thanks 1

ryanmfairbank

Thank you all for the advice...I did check that I was getting fuel, and it’s at least getting to the carb...

I’m checking the points first with this static timing method and will also double check the carb...I’m assuming that it isn’t the carb, as I put a new one one a year ago and it ran fine just last week...the points however are new, and this may be the issue...

• Excellent 1

WH nut

You are making to way

to complicated. Squirt some starting fluid into the carb while cranking. It should start. If not you have a problem with the ignition system. Start there and lets walk you through it. One step at a time

Edited by WH nut

ryanmfairbank

I checked the ignition timing and it’s way off, so how is that complicated? I also found a video with a great explanation:

• Excellent 1

WH nut
2 hours ago, ryanmfairbank said:

I checked the ignition timing and it’s way off, so how is that complicated? I also found a video with a great explanation:

Set you points at .018 and check for spark You seem to be running around the block here. If you have spark try starting fluid.  and report back

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

This isn’t setting the gap...it’s setting the ignition timing itself....

• Excellent 1

ryanmfairbank

I’m happy to report that it fired on the first turn of the key!!!

• Excellent 2

WH nut

This isn’t setting the gap...it’s setting the ignition timing itself....

This isnt my first rodeo, I have been working on these machines for 45 years. Glad you got it running.

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

I believe you @WH nut ! That’s 4 1/2 years longer than I’ve been alive...but I knew that the only thing I changed since it was running other than the gaskets was the points and condenser...so, this made sense to me...the timing was way way out...

WH nut

I believe you @WH nut ! That’s 4 1/2 years longer than I’ve been alive...but I knew that the only thing I changed since it was running other than the gaskets was the points and condenser...so, this made sense to me...the timing was way way out...

By reading through the whole post, you were all over the place so I though by starting at the beginning would prove better results.

ryanmfairbank

All over the place? I had just posted what I had previously done to the motor...fuel system and ignition system rebuild...then, after replacing the gaskets, it wouldn’t fire...that’s all...

ryanmfairbank

@WH nut since you have 45 years of experience, help a newbie out and give me a brief explanation on how to properly adjust a carb...if you don’t mind? 

• Haha 1

pfrederi

Manual explains it all.

carb1.JPG

carb2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ryanmfairbank

Excellent! Thank you @pfrederi ... this forum has been a world of help!!!

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, ryanmfairbank said:

Excellent! Thank you @pfrederi ... this forum has been a world of help!!!

Have you down.loaded the entire manual?

ryanmfairbank

My carb is an aftermarket carb...how do I determine which needle is which? I guess if I better understood how the carb works, I could determine this myself...

272F2ECE-5728-49E7-BDCB-B07B7CE9D7E7.jpeg

WH nut

Top one is the high speed jet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1