Torrence20

Horrid starter noise

Torrence20

Just picked up a 2110k804 20652 from a buddy and got it running but the starter makes one hell of a grinding noise. Upon inspection thd first 1/4 of the bendix is ground off. The armature shaft feels too loose, I’m assuming this is a bronze bushing wear issue? Anyone know what size I need to replace it?. I’ve read a bunch on taking the starter out but nothing on fixing my specific problem 

07611D99-A163-43B9-86AD-082F7A9CD70E.jpeg

JAinVA

From this side I can't tell if you have a K series or a Magnum 10.Either way buy a new starter.For the cost of the parts to fix what you have you could get a new one.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here is the Kohler parts list for the M10S-461521 if that is what you have. That will give you original part numbers to search for replacement parts. Click on the picture and download from there.

There should also be a bushing in the Bendix drive but that requires replacement of the drive. That plus wear in the drive end armature bushing can add up.

You can get a aerosol can of graphite with a tube that works well in this application. The solvent evaporates real quick leaving just the graphite so it does not attract dust which is what wears the bushings.

Have also sprayed the ring gear on the flywheel. Did not reduce the noise but it has not let me down either.

This may be the same parts page but most numbers have been changed so they have to looked up individually

https://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/m10-461521-kohler-m10-engine-magnum-wheel-horse-10hp-7-5kw-specs-461500-461541/electric-start-11-10-501-rev-3-15-2006-to-show-group-description/

Here is a unit available in Canada from a Stens dealer. Just more info to help locate what you need

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=5587

This is what I was looking for but not listed for your starter number

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=1475&p=5140

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Torrence20

It’s a 10 hp magnum Koehler. I guess I’ll just take it apart and see what I’m working with. I can get some bushings at a local hardware store if I can fine one close I’ll just turn it down to make it fit. Thanks for all the info! Also anyone know where I can find a regular old gas cap for one of theses that does not have the fuel guage crap in/on it? 

520hC-120
30 minutes ago, Torrence20 said:

It’s a 10 hp magnum Koehler. I guess I’ll just take it apart and see what I’m working with. I can get some bushings at a local hardware store if I can fine one close I’ll just turn it down to make it fit. Thanks for all the info! Also anyone know where I can find a regular old gas cap for one of theses that does not have the fuel guage crap in/on it? 

:text-welcomeconfetti: You can most likely find a gas cap on eBay. If not then TSC may have it.

Torrence20

Thanks for the info I’ll post back with  a solution if I come up with one for the starter

Anglo Traction

Maybe too late for this, but if you do spot it, have a look'see at this TOPIC of sometime back. It may help resurrect the old one before resorting to a new Starter. Also check the number of teeth on the old Bendix Drive gear before buying. They can have 10 or 13 teeth if I remember rightly?.   

• Like 1

Torrence20

Sofor what it’s worth it pulled the starter off tonight and sure enuff the bushing on the end was shot. I took some measurements so I can grab a bronze bushing tomorrow at work they are about 2.50$ Its a little larger then 1/2 i.d and a little under 3/4 o.d so it will be easy to find one that will work. While on the lathe turning this bushing to size I was pondering if I should turn a small chamfer on the end of the bendix that’s chewed up to try to save it... anyone have any thoughts on if that would help engage the ring gear?

953 nut

Think I would spring for the $ 20 to buy a new Bendix while you are at it.

Torrence20

I think I need to keep searching.. the only bendix I found was 45+ ups wich was about the price of an after market starter

Edited by Torrence20

953 nut
10 hours ago, Torrence20 said:

I think I need to keep searching.. the only bendix I found was 45+ ups wich was about the price of an after market starter

Check it out, lots to choose from. You will need to give your search a little more information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kohler+bendix&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS799US799&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHhYy7vdPdAhUsyoMKHdbDCOoQ_AUIDigB&biw=1366&bih=657

Torrence20

Thank you both. That dbelectrical carries a ton of stuff! Ty for that link I feel that will come in handy. And your search definitely yielded much better results

• Thanks 1

Torrence20

On another note what’s a machine like this worth. Just a tractor no attachments rough shape but functional? Not looking for a “bluebook” value but if one of yous happened upon this at a garage sale turned the key and it started and you could drive it what would you be willing to pay

953 nut
9 hours ago, Torrence20 said:

what’s a machine like this worth.

Value would depend on how plentiful :wh: are in your area and how badly you wanted it. To me a cosmetically challenged running 300 model would be worth about $ 200 without a good deck.

• Like 2

Torrence20

I have seen some for sale around here on selling sites. But they are all asking 500+

Torrence20

Well my 2$ bushing worked. turned it down to fit, cleaned up the edge on the bendix cleaned everything up and put it back on and it works flawlessly and no noise at all it engages and disengages very smooth!

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Torrence20

So onto the next chapter of this old horse, the headlights don’t work one is burnt out I’ve tested them. No power coming from the switch so I need to pull the panel off and test the switch. I was reading on here the other day a guy had installed led lights that were direct replacements of theses but I can’t for the life of me find that thread. Any one know what’s it is? 

gwest_ca

Your headlamps are powered by AC current from a second stator on the flywheel so the engine needs to run for them to work. I don't know if Led lamps will work on AC power. Some may work.

Garry

Anglo Traction
11 hours ago, Torrence20 said:

I was reading on here the other day a guy had installed led lights that were direct replacements of theses but I can’t for the life of me find that thread. Any one know what’s it is? 

Maybe this one- LED

953 nut
40 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Maybe this one- LED

The LEDs you have directed us to are great on the older :wh: with 1157 lamps. This thread covers the 4" sealed beam direct replacement used on the 312.

Anglo Traction
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The LEDs you have directed us to are great on the older :wh: with 1157 lamps. This thread covers the 4" sealed beam direct replacement used on the 312.

My apologies, misunderstood the OP's lamp type 

• Thanks 1

Torrence20
3 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

My apologies, misunderstood the OP's lamp type 

No worries thank you though

Torrence20

Welp put in new lights and a new toggle switch, took out some crappy panel clips and installed some rivnuts changed the oil and found a new gas cap without the fuel guage on it and no hole in the top.. anyone sick of me yet?