kto434

520-HC

kto434

Can someone please educate me a little on the 520HC.  I noticed in the literature the 520HC has a longer wheelbase than the 520H.  Is that because the 520HC uses a forward swept axle and that vintage 520H used a straight axle?  Or is the 520HC frame actually longer than the 520H?

I am looking at a non-running, but complete 520HC with a blown motor, thinking I will scrap the Onan and repower with a single cylinder Kohler (12, 14, or 16hp).  

Also, is it possible to replace the hydraulic lift with manual lift on a 520HC?  The tractor has an Eaton 1100 tranny.  How tough is it to use that tranny without hydraulic lift?

Finally, did the 520HC use gear reduction steering?

Thanks!

gwest_ca

Parts list. Click on the pictures

Garry

Skipper

Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I can't really see why you would want to do those things.

The 520 HC is a special and appreciated model, that many see as one of the best WH ever made.  What you want to do to it, is basically just a downgrade from some of the things that makes it special. Why not just buy a running 1 cylinder 300 or 400 series with manual lift instead. Probably leave you with cash in hand too.

You can bypass the hydraulic lift, but again, why? Some of the implements the 520 can run, her i think foremost of the 60 HD deck, is not something I would like on a manual lift.  It would take mostly a complete manual lift system off another tractor and then some, and a lot of tinkering.

Yes you can fit a single pot engine, but don't go too small. The HC has a higher gear ratio than the other horses. The frame is the same AFAIK. It is the swept front axle that makes it "longer" or more precise, makes room for a 60" deck, which you have no chance pulling with a single pot.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but to me this plan of downgrading is like putting a Fiat motor in a Ferrari, and then pull out the leather and substitute for a plastic garden chair. You will end up with an expensive Fiat in drag.  

Just my :twocents-02cents:, and not meant in any bad way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

cleat

The 520HC does not have reduction steering.

I would find out what is wrong with the Onan before just scrapping it, might be something simple (even a valve seat can be replaced so long as the block is still good).

Cleat

• Excellent 1

kto434

I appreciate all thoughts/comments, no offense taken at all.  I see your points and maybe it makes sense for me to keep looking.  The thing I like about the 520HC is it is close and cheap, and I prefer hydro over gear drive.  The hydraulic lift I could keep.  I just like simple is all and (to me) manual lift is simpler than hydraulic lift.  I would never use a 60-inch deck—too big and cumbersome for me.  I would run my 42-inch rear discharge deck.  For me, ithe tractor would be a tool only, not a collector’s piece.  I am good at working on single cylinder Kohlers, but have mostly heard horror stories about Onans around here—very expensive to repair, parts difficult to get, and none of our local shops will work on them (three strikes against them).  I would rather sell the Onan to someone who can use it/appreciate it and buy something I can work on.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.  I will report back and keep you in the loop.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@kto434, the hydraulic lift on the classic :wh: is as about as simple as one could be, single ram actuated with a single lever, power up gravity down, once you go finger strong lifting you'll never want to go back to arm strong lifting , IMHO and experiences.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

JAinVA

Swapping out the Onan for a Kohler is a viable option if you want to work the tractor.For a lot of us here these machines are tools and we don't care to show them.With that said I for one try to make sure that any modification isn't  something that can't be undone.I think an engine change out falls into this category.I agree that the hydro lift is simple and you will gain little in simplicity or ease of maintenance if it's replaced.The machine is yours.Do what works for you and your needs and don't worry about the long term value of a tool.The builders of this machine sold them as tools and that's the bottom line.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Excellent 2

Machineguy

@JAinVA

I agree, make it what you want and be happy with it. I have machines that only need to satisfy one need.....mine.  Kohler, Onan, Briggs whatever it’s your preference. Except Tecumseh, don’t do Tecumseh! Lol

@WVHillbilly520H

Hydraulics were invented for a reason! Lol 

Smarter not harder buddy! I love them! 

Finger strong....:ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

JAinVA

I have never had a Tecumseh  horizontal that didn't surge or hunt.With that said in the 80s I had a 4 horse T verticle and was impressed that it had a crank eccentric pressure oil pump.Of course it had the float carb and that was problematic to the point Briggs copied the design.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Machineguy
54 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I have never had a Tecumseh  horizontal that didn't surge or hunt.With that said in the 80s I had a 4 horse T verticle and was impressed that it had a crank eccentric pressure oil pump.Of course it had the float carb and that was problematic to the point Briggs copied the design.

I’ve had good luck with Briggs but it seems like it’s all based on the model. Tecumseh and I never seem to get along. Seems like every engine manufacturer has made good models and bad. 

• Thanks 1

Machineguy

I just missed out on an awesome deal on a 520HC yesterday. I saw the CL listing about 9 hours after it posted and found out it sold in about 2 hours. :bitch:

• Sad 2

kto434

Turned out to be all noise as the seller stopped responding so will move on and keep looking.

• Sad 2