ebinmaine

Can I bench test a "metal can" type voltage regulator that would have been on a starter/generator.?

ebinmaine

I'm wondering if I can determine if these are any good without plugging them into a running engine?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

I’m going to be listening and learning. :think:

Good question! 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm wondering if I can determine if these are any good without plugging them into a running engine?

Go here, if this helps, show me how to post a link from this dang dumb Android phone...

Screenshot_20180920-080601.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I looked at that post a couple years ago, the regulator he shows is not for a S/G unit. His has a grounded terminal and the S/G unit does not.

pfrederi

I took a regulator to my Starter Generator repair guy he said the only valid test was hooked to a jenny. 

• Like 1

Machineguy

So hooking a 800CCA battery to it and putting the outgoing wire on my tongue like a 9 volt battery won’t work? :ychain:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

, show me how to post a link from this dang dumb Android phone

Hey, Jeff, you're one up on me. I can't figure out how to do a screenshot from this foool thing.

I don't know how yours is set up but on mine, there are three little dots at the top of the right corner of the page below the time. If you press those one or two or three times eventually it'll make up its mind that it'll give you an option to share a link. Basically copy and paste after that.

Trina and I have a running joke that both of the phones I've had are smart dumb phones or dumb smart phones.

53 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

So hooking a 800CCA battery to it and putting the outgoing wire on my tongue like a 9 volt battery won’t work? :ychain:

Bob, Robert, Bobb-o.

Buddy ol pal.

I don't think that's quite the test results we're looking for here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Machineguy

Eric,

My electrical help is available anytime. I strongly advise anyone who listens to me on such things to have a fire extinguisher ready! :ROTF:

• Haha 6

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey, Jeff, you're one up on me. I can't figure out how to do a screenshot from this foool thing.

I don't know how yours is set up but on mine, there are three little dots at the top of the right corner of the page below the time. If you press those one or two or three times eventually it'll make up its mind that it'll give you an option to share a link. Basically copy and paste after that.

Trina and I have a running joke that both of the phones I've had are smart dumb phones or dumb smart phones.

Ok, Eric I have the dots but from there I can share via (several choices but none labeled link) as far as screen shot goes that's rather simple most Android phones are press and hold "volume down and power" (side) buttons simultaneously for a second it should take a pic of the screen therefore putting it in your "downloads" and I figured it out how to share a link now...http://www.cubcadetman.com/cc/how-tos/2010/04/checking-a-mechanical-voltage-regulator/...cool an old hillbilly can learn new tricks... @WHX20, uhmmm... Here's the funny part Eric you asked how to test a regulator and we learned how to use our cell phones, all on the greatest "tech" forum going, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine

Screenshot_20180920-120317.png.80a4d61e5874efc10e5a7b225b3cb8cf.png

Well I'll be darned.. Thanks @WVHillbilly520H Jeff!

• Thanks 1

Skipper

If you have a lab PSU, you should be able to feed it ac current, and see what comes out the other end, I would think (guessing like a mad man here). Works on the other types.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

Easiest way is to put on a S/G unit and fire it up.  14 volts running it is good.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Easiest way is to put on a S/G unit and fire it up.  14 volts running it is good.

That's likely the way I'll end up doing it.

The 1267 doesn't even have a regulator on it. Have to figure out how to wire it.

I have a 10 horse Kohler that came out of the Jacobson I think. No regulator on that either.

A bit odd.

@953 nut would you mind sharing a wiring diagram that would work for a three or four post regulator?

953 nut
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

If you have a lab PSU, you should be able to feed it ac current, and see what comes out the other end, I would think (guessing like a mad man here). Works on the other types.

This is strictly a regulator, it is not a rectifier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@953 nut would you mind sharing a wiring diagram that would work for a three or four post regulator?

Sure thing!

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Sure thing!

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

Thank you sir.

Is there one for a 3 terminal ignition switch with no solenoid?

• Like 1

953 nut

Try this one.

image.png.510059c90ac853596456d58f46f642bd.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
11 hours ago, Machineguy said:

Maybe, video please for proof!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Randy

• Haha 3

Machineguy

@RandyLittrell

I would but my lawyer thinks I’d be liable on injuries for copycats that are under age on the forum. Gotta be careful nowadays! 

:ROTF::ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

pfrederi
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Try this one.

image.png.510059c90ac853596456d58f46f642bd.png

This diagram is slightly misleading.  it doesn't show one essential wire.  On this style regulator there is a terminal on the bottom.  That has a short wire that runs directly to the armature terminal on the Genny.  There are two wires on the genny A post one heavy one for starting and the lighter one for charging via the regulator.  It doesn't show up here as it is actually a Kohler part and is shown in the Kohler engine parts manuals and came with the engine S/G unit.  .  This diagram is a Wheel horse diagram it only shows the stuff they added.  Took me a while to figure out why it doesn't show...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

doesn't show one essential wire.

Thank you for that info Paul. I was wondering about that but I wasn't going to dig into this physically until this weekend sometime or even later. I have three voltage Regulators here and two of the three have that fourth terminal on the bottom that you speak of. I don't believe any of mine are original Wheelhorse as they are darker in color. Not red.

I'll have to find a place to mount it on the tractor as well due to the fact that this tractor will have a replacement regulator which does not have a band style mount on it. Flat tabs. Not on a curve.

pfrederi

Not sure i follow about mounting ...All S/G units i have ever seen have the saddle mount regulator right on the generator.  You could use a flat mount one I suppose if you had a place to mount it.  To test the extra ones you have putting the on the genny would be quicker/easier.  This pic shows a 3 terminal regulator.  The Gen terminal goes to the Armature.  if you need lights /Lighter it goes on the Bat terminal

IMG_0210.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

@ebinmaine

The middle wire should be the one that gives you the tingle on the tongue if my electrical wizardry is correct? :auto-ambulance: 

Seriously though, the knowledge of many different things on here is fantastic! Great stuff guys!! 

Edited by Machineguy

pfrederi
43 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

@ebinmaine

The middle wire should be the one that gives you the tingle on the tongue if my electrical wizardry is correct? :auto-ambulance: 

Seriously though, the knowledge of many different things on here is fantastic! Great stuff guys!! 

Only if it running...the one on the left (yellow wir)e will give you a tingle any time running or not

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

mounting ...All S/G units i have ever seen have the saddle mount regulator right on the generator

Well, maybe I'm missing something....

Actually, let's be honest. I probably am missing something.

:lol:

Now that I have that picture to look at and compare against I'll take a double check see and try to figure out what's cookin..........