RJR49

woodruff key problem

RJR49

Trying to put it back together after repairing the frame. Never had a problem with this before but the woodruff key will not go past the washer as shown in this picture. I'm guessing that I'll have to take it apart to see whats hanging it up but if anyone has experienced this I would appreciate your incite.

tractor3.jpg

RJR49

I booked down and took it apart. The spring was slightly off center but it appears that the woodruff key is on the open / spring side of the shaft. I'm thinking that it should be on the plate side. Full disclosure I eelded it there. But, the other end has no trace of ever seen a weld

stevasaurus

I hope you have a since, cents, sense of humor...because I can't figure out what you are talking about...or what horse.  I do want to say that...WOW what a nice bench top to be doing things like that on.  You are either single, or the MRS. is not home.

Seriously, could you elaborate a little if you still need any help???  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

daveoman1966

Did you get this put back together yet???   I've done this a few time myself...can probably help out.

MOTION 001A.jpg

MOTION 003.jpg

MOTION 007A.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

RJR49

Dave, Thank you for the pictures. They confirm that I'm a dumb a_ _. I took it apart because the tab broke off the end of the shaft. There wasn't a trace of weld on the end nearest the Woodruff key, and there seemed to be a trace on the other end so you know what happened. The reason it got stuck was because the woodruff key couldn't  get past the threaded collar. I already took the tab off, now I have to make a new one, and put it on the right end. I don't have a welder so I'm thinking that I'll braze the new on. The tab is about 90 degrees from the key. Very much like Dave's picture but it doesn't seem that critical. I'm going to put it back that way but I'm wondering how fussy I need to be.  Anyone have thoughts on that, or brazing? 

Last question. Isn't there a brass bushing on the other end of the shaft?

Steve is correct. She's not home.

The tractor is mostly a 1975 C-160. But, some of the sheet metal is off other C's that I have owned.  Plus one of Matt's foot pedals simply modified for C's. I can send the details to anyone interested.

Edited by RJR49
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RJR49 said:

Steve is correct. She's not home

I can't help you with your transmission problem at all but I do appreciate your honesty about the above sentence.

:ROTF:

• Like 1

daveoman1966
4 hours ago, RJR49 said:

Dave, Thank you for the pictures. They confirm that I'm a dumb a_ _. I took it apart because the tab broke off the end of the shaft. There wasn't a trace of weld on the end nearest the Woodruff key, and there seemed to be a trace on the other end so you know what happened. The reason it got stuck was because the woodruff key couldn't  get past the threaded collar. I already took the tab off, now I have to make a new one, and put it on the right end. I don't have a welder so I'm thinking that I'll braze the new on. The tab is about 90 degrees from the key. Very much like Dave's picture but it doesn't seem that critical. I'm going to put it back that way but I'm wondering how fussy I need to be.  Anyone have thoughts on that, or brazing? 

Last question. Isn't there a brass bushing on the other end of the shaft?

Steve is correct. She's not home.

The tractor is mostly a 1975 C-160. But, some of the sheet metal is off other C's that I have owned.  Plus one of Matt's foot pedals simply modified for C's. I can send the details to anyone interested.

Yes...you can braze the broken tab.  Do it so the KEY SLOT is in the UP position, but not really critical.  As for the BRASS COLLAR....there is only one, at the end near the tab...not the other end.  However, you MAY want to peen the hoodstand hole for the opposite end as it wears too. 

RJR49

Guys

Thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on you.

Randy

• Like 1