dclarke

Any recommendations

dclarke

My wife and I are heading to New Orleans in a few weeks to visit the WWII Museum. Neither one of us have been there before, anybody got any suggestions on where to eat or what to see? I think we're only gonna be there about 3 days. 

Daddy Don

Make sure to go down to the French Quarter. Lots of places to eat and see all the the sites. Take the paddle wheel boat down the Mississippi. Lots of things to do there.

Have fun and good luck The French Quarter is the original New Orleans. It is best at night. Lots of police patrols there. That is where the Mardi Gras is held each year. Bourbon Street. Lots of food and fun.   

Edited by Daddy Don
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

With only 3 days , I would definitely book  a bus tour  that includes the French Quarter and an above ground cemetery      If your OK with a loud crowded bar type atmosphere, try Coops Place for some good Cajun food.    I used the downtown Holiday Inn (the one with the giant guitar painted on the side) and was pleased with the prices and was able to walk to the river and most other sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Three days ain't gonna cut it Denny....You could be ther three months and and not sample things. French market and like Don said Bourbon St. For the music but get out of the city for a day and check out the hole in the wall eating joints. All you can eat crawfish places and old plantations cemetaries. Been many years since I been ther so would guess things have changed abit. 

• Thanks 1

cschannuth

We were down there about 20 years ago for a few days and really enjoyed a swamp tour.  We also liked the cemetery tour.  The benets' (french donuts?) at Cafe Dumond are really good too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Thanks guys, we are planning a cemetery tour and Craig the benets' will definitely be sampled. 

• Like 1

DET

Denny,

We cruised out of there this summer so we only had about two days in NOLA. The cemeteries are interesting and I think you will thoroughly enjoy the WWII museum, that was my favorite thing.

If you get a chance, riding the street cars is a good mode of transportation. Eating local is always a good choice.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

This was the view from the downtown Holiday Inn.

IMG_7037.JPG.c8e4ea066967c2c6b661613379982ad4.JPG5b9f9c5edb8d5_IMG_7023(2).JPG.d7404c92f1217519545c031d8a678f06.JPGIMG_7019.JPG.1bb2746eea0beac7829aef83a93d016b.JPG

:wwp:

IMG_7021 (2).JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Be sure to try a muffaletta sandwich. Very large, "recommend" sharing.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

The WWll museum is a must see! I worked for the place that built the display cases for this and I built a couple of them and delivered them there! This is a great exhibit!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You have to stop in to Pat O'Brians and taste one of their Hurricanes.  :occasion-xmas:  They are just off of Bourbon St.

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

Be sure to try a muffaletta sandwich

:text-yeahthat: forgot about those and po boys!

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Denny, I lived there for a while in younger days.... pre-Katrina. I don't really know what's changed as I haven't been back.  A few of my must do's.....

• a St. Charles streetcar tour. (you're a tourist... that's what tourists do)
  • Cafe' Du Monde in the evening for cafe au lait and beignets. 
  • Get alligator to eat somewhere.... it's delicious. (fried on a stick, battered bites, steak, roast, whatever... just try it)
  • A fried shrimp Po' Boy.... ah I miss those soooooo much. 
  • a hurricane at Pat O'Briens.
  • Oysters on the half shell (if you can stomach them ;) ) 

Enjoy!  There's no other place like it. 

Oh, and if you have a car and can't seem to find anything else to do (yeah, right) ... take a drive north and go over the Lake Ponchatrain causeway to Mandeville... just to say you did it.  It will take you about an hour just to get over and back, it's about 25 miles. Out in the middle you really begin to wonder if there is another side.... but trust me, there is, been over it many, many times. :thumbs: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Daddy Don

Don' forget about the Court of Three Sisters in the French Quarter. Food is great. And the Lake Ponchatrain is a must.  So much to do you will have to make several more trips down there. I have been down there at six times for a week and still have not got to do all of the thing I want to.   

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

How about all the great music that New Orleans has to offer. There are a lot of great musicians there as well!

• Like 1

clueless

My advice to you is to go on line and find out about all the things to do and see in NOLA, Then pick your top 5 with another 5 as backup. The Holiday Inn, Ed, mentioned is a nice place in a good location for the price. Also NO. has a great trolley and bus system that can get you in walking distance of most anything you want to see, I believe a 3 day pass is around $15.00, well worth it. WWII museum is a must, then it comes down to what you're interested in. I've been going there for 55+ years and still haven't seen everything I want to see, they just keep adding stuff. I see your the same age as me, so the night life in the French Quarter my not be your cup of tea, are what ever your liquid of choice is, but worth experiencing. The French Quarter is still worth seeing in the day time, along with the river front, and the Jackson Square area, all accessible from a trolley or bus. One note, it is still hot and HUMID this time of year, but not unbearable.

Now as far as the FOOD goes, if your looking for good food then there is a place on just about every corner, if you looking for great food then that would be on every other corner. If your going to do the river front, and Jackson Square then beignets and coffee at the Cafe Du Monde for a late breakfast, then split a muffuletta from Central Grocery and Deli for a late lunch. Also you need to try some Creole Seafood Gumbo, two of the best are at Galatoires, and Dook Chases in the 7th ward. When it comes to great food NOLA is your oyster, and they have some of the best at the Acme Oyster House.

Have a Great Time,

Your cruise director.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Your  gonna need to go on a diet when you get back!

Hey while your down there Denny hop on CL and see if there's any :wh: wrangling to be done! :ph34r::lol:

wh500special

Denny,

I've only been to NO a few times and found it to be an interesting place.  But it's always been for work so not any time to do touristy stuff.  Seeing the lay of the land reveals why flooding is such a big deal to these people.

I'm not much for nightlife, so avoided the Bourbon Street melee after dark.  But it's an interesting place to visit in the daytime too.  There is always plenty of music (and lots of drunks) pouring out of the bars.  It's a long way from Pawnee but worth seeing.  And fun!

I have to admit there were times I didn't feel entirely safe.  Obviously it isn't a bad idea to stay in groups if you can.  We typically stayed on Canal Street (Sheraton I think = $$$) for conferences and seminars and walked everywhere, but you have to keep your wits about you and your eyes open. I feel more safe in NO than I do here in St. Louis, but be aware of your surroundings and maybe carry your wallet in your front pocket and split your valuables between your person and your hotel safe (like everywhere else in this world).

It's been mentioned already, but Cafe du Monde is an icon.  You HAVE to go there.  You'll recognize the place immediately from countless TV shows and movies.  The beignets are wonderful and the coffee has chicory in it which is a novelty.  It is a must stop, and I don't even like coffee!  It's right across the street from the french quarter and the St. Louis cathedral.

I like to eat, and when traveling for work I'm doing it on someone else's dime.  I tried a variety of things but one of my absolute favorites - and apparently a New Orleans staple - was the shrimp and grits.  I had it at a number of places, but recall Drago's was really good.  Theirs was "Shrimp with Grits and Tasso" and the sauce is soooo wonderfully rich you'll want to inject it directly into your bloodstream since that's where it's going anyway.

As an aside, one of my frequent travel mates never ventures from chain restaurants...really.  If you've been in one Applebee's, you've been in them all.  It's always more fun to pick weird things because you never know what you might discover.  I'm so rarely disappointed.

NO has been the ONLY place I've visited where people on the plane ride were eager to share everything you should see and do (and eat!) while you're there.  I was never able to make it happen (work, remember) but apparently some of NO's biggest restaurant traditions are the small, intimate places that are literally in someone's home.  No advertising, no signs, etc.   I wish I had written down the recommendations, but I'm sure your hotel host can help if you're looking for something off the wall and unusual.

Clueless is right...eat Oysters!  We don't have those here in the Land of Lincoln.

Enjoy your trip!

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Wow, ask and ye shall recieve. Thanks guys for all the advice. I’m gettin hungry just reading all this. 

• Thanks 1

clueless

Denny, just curious as to how you liked NOLA?

dclarke
On 11/16/2018 at 8:49 AM, clueless said:

Denny, just curious as to how you liked NOLA?

Sorry for the late reply Chris, I just noticed your reply. I really enjoyed it, we stayed at a nice hotel just a few blocks from the French Quarter. The WWII museum is amazing, we spent several hours there and could have spent the entire day.