elcamino/wheelhorse

Software Help needed

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have copies of MS Word Document from my old computer that is dying. I want to transfer these documents to new PC. I know that I have to buy MS office 365 and install. Do I have to wait to transfer the word documents until I have installed 365 or can I transfer now knowing that I will not be able to access documents until 365 is installed. MS help guy was no help. English was not his first language. If don't know can you ask your teenager ? 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Your documents should be saved in a folder named "documents". You can copy that folder to your new computer without having MS Word installed. You just won't be able to read them. However, there is an open source program called Open Office. It does everything that MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. The big difference is it's FREE.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

wfrpalm

I would save to a flash drive just to be safe before trying to copy them.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@rmaynard Will it read my current documents . Not sure what a source program is. I am old and don't even have a cell phone .

1 hour ago, wfrpalm said:

I would save to a flash drive just to be safe before trying to copy them.

@wfrpalm Already done that .

• Like 1

KC9KAS
16 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Your documents should be saved in a folder named "documents". You can copy that folder to your new computer without having MS Word installed. You just won't be able to read them. However, there is an open source program called Open Office. It does everything that MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. The big difference is it's FREE.

We had Open Office at work, and a lot of the documents were not as compatible as one would hope!

Once they got me back on Microsoft, all was well!

• Like 1

rmaynard
18 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

We had Open Office at work, and a lot of the documents were not as compatible as one would hope!

Once they got me back on Microsoft, all was well!

As a "work" tool, I would spend the money for Microsoft. However, since it's only for me, and I'm cheap, a free alternative to the pricey MS stuff has been fine. I only use it for reading and composing documents. No Excel or Powerpoint.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

If you MASSIVE files some of which might include resource hungry data such as pictures, I'd copy it all to an external hard drive.

I've got one here that I have stored two or three computers worth of files that would have been lost or not easily accessed, once those internal hard drives crashed.

Just a suggestion. Its a great backup to any currently used computer as well.

953 nut

I bought one of these devices on Ebay for about $ 20.00 and it transferred everything within about a half hour or less. Did a great job and the few items it didn't send properly I used a thumb drive for. If I could do it then it has to be computer idiot proof.

s-l1600.jpg