TonyToro

Rear end strength questions

TonyToro

I was wondering if the the 8 speed rear end was stronger or the same as a 4 speed? I have the chance to get a 4 speed and was going to use this for a puller. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

prondzy

The only difference between the 4 and 8 speeds is the use of low gear, possibly 1 inch vs 1 1/8 inch axles depending on the models each transaxle is out of.

Shynon

4 pinions 1" axle in 4 speed, 8 pinions 1 1/8 axle in 8 speed. 8 speed better IMO

• Like 5

TonyToro

Ok....great information. Thank you!

I’m glad I asked before I made another mistake. Lol

• Like 1

Spareparts

I'am glad this came up, I am thinking of dropping back to a 4 speed , less gears equalls to less drag

Can I put 1 1/8" axles in the 4 speed and can I use the 8 pinion diff  out of the 8 speed. Thought about doing some 

experiamenting (SP)  and picking up a 4 speed to learn with, but if someone has done this that would 

be cheaper. We have a speed limit so I only use 2nd gear @ 3000 rpm in the lighter classes and 4000rpm in 

the fast classes. What are your thoughts.

• Like 1

TonyToro
11 hours ago, Spareparts said:

I'am glad this came up, I am thinking of dropping back to a 4 speed , less gears equalls to less drag

Can I put 1 1/8" axles in the 4 speed and can I use the 8 pinion diff  out of the 8 speed. Thought about doing some 

experiamenting (SP)  and picking up a 4 speed to learn with, but if someone has done this that would 

be cheaper. We have a speed limit so I only use 2nd gear @ 3000 rpm in the lighter classes and 4000rpm in 

the fast classes. What are your thoughts.

Good thought. The case looks the same.  

ebinmaine
On 9/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, Spareparts said:

Can I put 1 1/8" axles in the 4 speed and can I use the 8 pinion diff  out of the 8 speed.

Not sure about the differential.

I'm thinking you'd have to machine the ends of the axle tubes to accept the larger bearings.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

dieselpuller

The 8 speed is better I think it works for me. My buddy (wheel Horse Dealer ) used to pull in the 70,s He used parts from 1054 rearends in his 8 speed Raider .Walt

• Like 2

TonyToro

A few of us here in Connecticut have been talking about this recently. One guy is thinking to remove unnecessary gears in the 8 speed. Less rotating mass. Another is thinking he has located bearings to accept the 1 1/8” axle into the 4 speed rear end. Then another guy has some extra special top secret  super slick gear lube to pour into these gearboxes. 

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

A few of us here in Connecticut have been talking about this recently. One guy is thinking to remove unnecessary gears in the 8 speed. Less rotating mass. Another is thinking he has located bearings to accept the 1 1/8” axle into the 4 speed rear end. Then another guy has some extra special top secret  super slick gear lube to pour into these gearboxes. 

Let me just put right up in the forefront that I am by no means a Garden Tractor Puller.

All of these seem like decent reasonable ideas and I'm not trying to downplay any of them ... watch this video which is using a 4-speed transmission.

I have a great appreciation for the fact that you guys are trying to pull some very heavy loads.

I guess I'm just kind of wondering if you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist yet.

Are you guys breaking axles or breaking casings or breaking gears?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TonyToro
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Let me just put right up in the forefront that I am by no means a Garden Tractor Puller.

All of these seem like decent reasonable ideas and I'm not trying to downplay any of them ... watch this video which is using a 4-speed transmission.

I have a great appreciation for the fact that you guys are trying to pull some very heavy loads.

I guess I'm just kind of wondering if you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist yet.

Are you guys breaking axles or breaking casings or breaking gears?

Nice! I am really impressed what these tractors can do!

We just trying something new and to get the edge on the competition. Lol

We are trying to keep maximum strength and deliver the most power to the tires. These tractors were only meant to do limited work. Pulling is really pushing what the tractor was designed to do. 

The nice thing with Wheelhorse is that the weak link is either the belt or keyway in the axle. 

Our newest tractor is a 14hp engine with lots of engine work. I am going to do some more work to it before next season and have it dyno'd. We are thinking it should be around 22hp when dialed in. We pull in 3rd gear at 4000RPM. So we need to get those tires turning.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, TonyToro said:

thinking it should be around 22hp

AWESOME

TonyToro
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

There are 8-speed transmissions out there with 1" axles. Look down this lists that is in no particular order.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="6 forward speeds"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Garry

Thank you Garry

I have some reading to do!

fast88pu
On November 4, 2018 at 1:32 PM, TonyToro said:

Nice! I am really impressed what these tractors can do!

We just trying something new and to get the edge on the competition. Lol

We are trying to keep maximum strength and deliver the most power to the tires. These tractors were only meant to do limited work. Pulling is really pushing what the tractor was designed to do. 

The nice thing with Wheelhorse is that the weak link is either the belt or keyway in the axle. 

Our newest tractor is a 14hp engine with lots of engine work. I am going to do some more work to it before next season and have it dyno'd. We are thinking it should be around 22hp when dialed in. We pull in 3rd gear at 4000RPM. So we need to get those tires turning.

About 50hp 3rd gear hi at 4500 rpms

44037112_2216536075295790_8054614055819673600_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

TonyToro
5 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

About 50hp 3rd gear hi at 4500 rpms

44037112_2216536075295790_8054614055819673600_o.jpg

Awesome! Nice machine! I really like the sound of a twin and over 4000Rpm is even better!lol

Are you running quick change pulleys? I need to get an assortment of those for my sons new tractor. 

Is that a transfer sled? 

fast88pu
1 minute ago, TonyToro said:

Awesome! Nice machine! I really like the sound of a twin and over 4000Rpm is even better!lol

Are you running quick change pulleys? I need to get an assortment of those for my sons new tractor. 

Is that a transfer sled? 

Pulling a transfer sled. Running stock pulleys. Stock wheel horse belt and stock single spring. Leaving at 2500 rpms and no issues. 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 11/4/2018 at 1:32 PM, TonyToro said:

You’ve broken an axle keyway?

TonyToro
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

You’ve broken an axle keyway?

Yes, a few months ago the keyway broke and then destroyed the hub. I guess it is fairly common when pulling, or so I have been told. 

ebinmaine

Do they run 2 set screws?

TonyToro
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Do they run 2 set screws?

The Raider I guess from new only had one large set screw but the replacement hub I got from a member here has 2 set screws.

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

The Raider I guess from new only had one large set screw but the replacement hub I got from a member here has 2 set screws.

Yeah, the older ones had the light-duty Hub with one set screw. Up until the late 70s. Then there was the heavier Duty Hub like you have but with only one set screw. Sometime in the early to mid 1980s they went to a twin set screw heavy duty hub.

• Like 1

TonyToro
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah, the older ones had the light-duty Hub with one set screw. Up until the late 70s. Then there was the heavier Duty Hub like you have but with only one set screw. Sometime in the early to mid 1980s they went to a twin set screw heavy duty hub.

As I break stuff I learn along the way! Lol