Paul Boy

What model am I?

Paul Boy

Picked this little gem up this morning. Can anyone tell me what model this might be?  No other identifying marks5b994d483a897_wheelhorseoldone2.jpg.e64066e00fa52b1e6052399b70f03166.jpg on it but WHEEL HORSE.5b994d005fd03_wheelhorseoldone.jpg.a00b03c9b75e4b92aec8d71fe6896c9a.jpg

• Like 6

ol550

Chopped 551

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:a somewhat neglected 1961 551 at that. . Footrests might have been worth the pickup alone tho.

oliver2-44

:woohoo:

If the correct Tecumseh or Clinton engine, or even a kohler K90/91 is up front under that hood  and the transmission is not full of water you might have enough good parts to make it worth restoring..  But finding a new front hood is expensive.

• Like 1

Chris G

I'd agree on the 1961 suburban 551. Definitely needs some attention, but you could bring it back to life. 

Paul Boy

Its been stored inside of a shed for 25 - 30 years. I have some parts from another similar model. Took a chance on it and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the input.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Wrong transmission for a 551 guys...………….;)

Edit:

A second look and maybe that is a 5007. Looked like a three piece case at first. :wacko:

Edited by Racinbob

WHX??

Same here @Racinbob... I had to zoom in on it... yup definitely a early unidrive.  

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

What about that gauge mounted on top of the hood.?  Is it just me or is it facing the wrong way ?

• Like 1

Achto
9 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

What about that gauge mounted on top of the hood.?  Is it just me or is it facing the wrong way ?

& is it up side down? :laughing-rollingyellow:

• Haha 1

prondzy

Isnt that a bent exhaust pipe for a tecky?

Edited by prondzy

Shynon
24 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Isnt that a bent exhaust pipe for a tecky?

Yes, battery up front 2 piece cast transmission. 1961 551

stevasaurus

It is a 2 piece tranny...you can see the bolt in front of the shifter.  #5007  You would think you would see the mounting bolts through the frame plate...not sure what is going on there.  :)

• Excellent 1

Paul Boy

We've made some progress on our little find. A couple of questions. Are those footrests correct for a 1961 551?  This has an ignition switch that is attached on the right hand side of the hood, would that have been a feature on a 1961 551?  The original engine is now freed up and turning very smooth. There is no brand name on the engine but there is a metal plate with some numbers on it attached. I will try to photograph it tomorrow and maybe someone can tell me something about it.  It looks good and hope to get to try it over the weekend. The body is now in full primer and looking forward to working on it again this weekend. To answer the question about the gauge that appeared to be upside down. Its an add on amp meter and the housing was cracked and broken off and it was just sitting there.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Yup... :text-imsorry:  Paul we need :text-coolphotos: ...all further info on such said tractor is herby withheld untill such said photos are released....:ychain:

Paul Boy

Have only these two photos that I took a couple of days ago.

61 wh in prime.jpg

61 wh engine.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Those are the correct footrests and I believe the original engine would have been a Tecumseh HH55D-2113. Not sure on the ignition switch.

stevasaurus

That engine does look like a Tecumseh...googled images of old Tecumseh engines.  :ph34r:

This was my 5.5 with a different spec number then yours.

2008_07261962-5020003.JPG

2008_07261962-5020001.JPG