SimonC

who am I, help

gwest_ca
27 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Out of curiosity, why would the regulator need 12v DC to work ?

There is a service bulletin that states the regulator must see a minimum of 4 volts to turn it on so to speak but can't find it at the moment.

I believe a diode was added to the M wire to protect the ignition from stray current. They will not tolerate any voltage.

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

There is a service bulletin that states the regulator must see a minimum of 4 volts to turn it on so to speak but can't find it at the moment.

I believe a diode was added to the M wire to protect the ignition from stray current. They will not tolerate any voltage.

Garry

Interesting the Kohler Service Manual indicates some applications had a diode in the Mag wire  to avoid leakage...  However in the 3 Chargers I have with either Breakerless or mag there is no diode...  Maybe WH didn't spec them originally????

SimonC

Ok, so I'll bypass the switch and see if the regulator comes alive. If yes, something is wrong with my switch. I could always put a dedicated switch for this as I'm guessing leaving the 12v on the regulator will drain the battery. 

Thanks

SimonC

any reason why this switch wouldn't work as a replacement if my current one is defective ? 

https://www.stens.com/430-070-ignition-switch

priced very decently (15$) and is compatible with the Stens 430-223 wiring harness to make things cleaner

thanks

pfrederi
30 minutes ago, SimonC said:

any reason why this switch wouldn't work as a replacement if my current one is defective ? 

https://www.stens.com/430-070-ignition-switch

priced very decently (15$) and is compatible with the Stens 430-223 wiring harness to make things cleaner

thanks

It will work

• Thanks 1