FatJackDurham

520H Hydraulic Lift slow to charge

FatJackDurham

I'm putting this here because I feel hydraulic issues are more transmission related than attachment, since that's where the hydro pump is.

On my 520H, after I first start up, the lift doesn't work. I have to push the lever back and forth and drive the tractor back and forth a little to get it to work. 

I am thinking air is building up and has to be pumped out before the piston works, but that's just my guess. ANyone have ideas?

WVHillbilly520H

Some of the Eaton 1100 are slower than others, but the operator's manual suggests that "the tractor be started up and transaxle allowed to warm up before using" some others on here have swapped over to synthetic 10w30 or even HyTran fluid vs standard dino oils, also I'm a firm believer in the O.E. Toro filters but Napa/Wix is top of most other hydro owners' list, also be sure that you have the correct level of oil in the transaxle, if you have recently drained and refilled and didn't "burp" it while refilling it could be low only check level when COLD before starting, I like to start tractor during refilling and run the lift ram through several cycles to help burp it, if I have missed anything I'm sure others will chime in...oh if you haven't already hitch it up to a tree or something solid after you get it warmed up to see if you can get the tires to break traction, if so the pump IS NOT weak, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Many 520s do this and one of mine is no exception. Winter is worse and the colder the worser. My go to snow mover.  Sometimes takes a good minute and a half when you can hear the charge pump kick in and begins to whine. No problems during the summer. I switched to Mobile 1 10w-30 syn & NAPA filter and it helped. Next change I'm going to try 5w and see if it makes a difference. This tractor has a peculiar whine to the hydro where my others 1100s don't. No loss of tire spinning power tho.

10 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Some of the Eaton 1100 are slower than others,

Agreed Jeff ....you wouldn't think so but it  seems like they are individual units with a mind of their own. All three of mine act different even tho same oil/filter and linkage setups. I believe it has something to do with how they were treated in a past life or broke in.

Edited by WHX20
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

My Eaton on the 418A was painfully slow waiting for the lift to work.  Changed to Synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30 no material improvement.  She was taken off winter snow blowing duty because it took so long to pick up the snowblower to move her outside to warm up and not fill the shop with exhaust fumes.  Has plenty of power and is a bit faster in the summer to pick up the mower deck but i can drive outside deck down so it isn't an issue.  Use Sunstrands for winter plowing and blowing...Lift works immediately year round....

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON

I have a sundstrand in my C160 and I use mobile1 10w30 and even in the cold of winter the response is immediate. 

No delay at anytime. I know the Eaton 1100 is bigger and better but it should be almost immediately able to lift and go in the summer time. I do let mine warm up some in the cold only  because the manual says to.

• Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

I have two 520H's.  My 1995 starts and the lift immediately works as it should.  320 hrs on that tractor.  My 1988 takes a long time for the lift to work.  1000 hrs on this one.  When I start it up, I get no lift at all.  In about 3-5 minutes, the lift starts working and then continues to work normally for the rest of the day.  Both tractors have 10W-30 Mobil One in them and Toro oil filters. 

Lots of posts on this issue over the years.  General consensus - it's just the way Eaton 1100's are. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Just the nature of the Eaton 1100s.   I have them in 312s,417s, and a 520 and they all act differently.  Like Jeff said, the manual states they should all be warmed up before use. Some of mine require a 5-10 minute warm up before the lift will work and some lift immediately.   I chained them all to a tree and they are all strong enough to dig holes.

• Like 5

FatJackDurham

Okay, thanks for all of the feed back. I am glad its a "normal" behavior. I was afraid it was a sign of needing some kind of rebuild.

I'll definitely check the fluids and next servicing, follow your recommendations. In the winter, I'll have the blower right in the garage, right at the door, so I'll be able to let it just slide out into the snow without having to lift it right at the beginning. Hopefully, by the end of the first pass, it will lift.

• Like 1