Sarge

3pt Wrecker attachment

KC9KAS

I have been toying with the idea of making a "wrecker" type lift for the same reason!

Yours looks very strong!

• Like 1

pacer

Been waiting for this ever since you started talking about making one:woohoo:  And looking good too!

• Like 1

Daron1965

Looks good, great idea.   :greetings-clappingyellow:

19richie66

Very nice Sarge! Watching this closely.

DennisThornton

You have my attention. 

Sarge

Hopefully, I'll have time today or this weekend to start building all the bracketry for the wheel lift parts. Also, have to come up with a set of locking pins and pins to help return it to center for certain tasks. Need to mow again first, playing catch up with the grass in September is a bit odd but we've had some really heavy rains lately.

I ran into some odd magnetic field issues when trying to weld the inside of those braces with the Tig, spent a whole lot of time destroying tungsten and having to use the die grinder to remove the debris. Finally just took it out and stick welded that last couple of welds - still fought with some arc blow. Need to check our electrical supply again, seems like one leg is weak or the neutral is not working consistently - that stuff really shows up in some weird places with welders. Both the Miller Dynasty 200DX and the AHP Alpha160 are having some weird issues at times. Really wish we had 3ph here, but even those that do here in town it's not a true 3ph power, but a false type. 

The hardest part to figure out is the lift range and getting clearance to the tires on the D, plus, I wanted to keep it as short as possible to give the D's lift the most advantage I can. If it were built too far back, the D might not lift the 2/3 weight factor of a dead tractor and also make it harder to maneuver.

Fall/winter is coming way too fast, I'll be lucky if it can be completed this year, let alone blasted/painted.

Sarge

WHX??

While on the subject of wreckers this was seen at the BS this year. Wished I would have got better pics of it. This guy had just bought it and was moving dead :wh: :deadhorse: around at the show for guys.

20180622_150118.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

have to come up with a set of locking pins and pins to help return it to center for certain tasks. 

What about something like the front pivot of a snow plow with a spring loaded locking pin/release?

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

Sarge

Working on that very thing this weekend, after I pick up the clippings from this very wet month we've had already. Been mowing every 3-4 days here, that's just nuts for September.

The D's pump is still quite stout after all the work - tested it's lifting power by nearly getting the rear axle off the ground on the '77 Land Cruiser, that was pretty impressive.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Got enough of the assembly finished to do some more testing - picked up and moved a dead AC916H and tow it around the block. So far so good, nothing bending and the D handles the added stress just fine. I will have to make up a front weight to act as a counterbalance, front end did start to slide at one point when going uphill.

Here's a decent view of the wedges and arms and how they work. I would have preferred to have a pivot point to make it easier to initially hook the assembly up, but it does work fine and isn't an issue with clearing the old Allis' bent-up deck.

163307579_20181001_1446221.jpg.d18bf78e01b9f36a6d855d96d8daa6da.jpg

1949029634_20181001_1446061.jpg.2300171a84f61ce383d81a0f43063b55.jpg

That 916H is quite heavy, but it is a full-on garden capable GT.

625184900_20181001_1445551.jpg.c2789a0ff007bb2dd8d969024830cc28.jpg

Flat tires and all - no problem, the D just drags it around like it's not even back there.

One thing I'd love to modify/add - a hydraulic top link but that will require another spool valve, which I'd like to add a twin one and front/rear ports anyway.

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

ericj
On 9/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, Sarge said:

Been wanting to figure out a better way to move dead tractors around - some, just isn't cooperative at being towed - the AC 916H is a great example around here. Since the rear axle is a hydro, it does not disengage fully for some reason and the tires are really shot badly. The 16Auto dug some big holes the last time I tried to move it around, so the idea here is to use the D's 3pt lift and it's size/weight advantage to move other dead tractors. I also wanted a toolbar that could have adapters added for various tasks - such as cultivators, tines, rear blade, ect. I've wanted to build a wrecker for years, just never had the time to do it - this year, I decided I've had enough of my aching back and legs - this needs to get done before I end up in the hospital. Always seems there is no help available when I need it, so now is the time - here is where I'm at as of now...

5b95181a3ad84_20180908_1310561.jpg.491162bc031e7afb2d841d0d3d09a928.jpg

5b95186068d74_20180908_1311081.jpg.d9c603c2e9e26573b5aab11313ec5d92.jpg

5b95189058804_20180908_1311391.jpg.782a52115561c32f405ea9e400707b9a.jpg

5b9518b7d73a9_20180908_1311491.jpg.51f663ceccbaf42a134de11a197bc117.jpg

All built from 1/4" thick iron, except the hub mounting plate which 1/2" thick A50 steel. Trailer hub/stub shaft is a 1750lb rated unit. In hindsight, if I ever did it again I'd use a heavier DOM tubing and just turn it to accept bearing races, make the shaft on the lathe and be done with it. Not to mention, I could control the thickness of the assembly a lot better. There are "rear tire carrier builder" parts available out there to do just that with pre-built tubing, the correct bearings and shaft - you just weld it into the square tubing of choice. Still a lot to do - need to make a set of centering springs, locking pins (for toolbar use), tire carrier arms w/tie-down rings, rear blade adapters, ect....

Just thought I'd share a bit - need to some lift testing today, hopefully.

Sarge

sorry I've been real busy lately and just found this thread, here are pictures of the lift that I helped design and my friend Charlie Culley help build then welded up. Should have been a little wider to accept a 520 front tires. I also need to add some front weights to the ol D200 because it does tend to push the front tires in a corner. Depending on were the pins for the tires to set on it will catch a mower deck when lifted. 

I like the way your tire holders work and look, just like the full sized rigs, but this was an easy set up to make and works

eric j 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4