KWA520H

1995 Wheelhorse 520H electric fuel pump conversion help

KWA520H

I have a 1995 Wheel horse with 20 hp onan engine.I've replaced the vacuum fuel pump once already.It worked fine for a while.Now it's doing the same thing again.Engine cracks but no fuel.I spray starting fluid in carb and it runs and stops.Checked and was getting vacuum ok to pump.But no suction on line to tank.Can anyone guide me in the right way to install an electric pump on this tractor?Should I get a pump and a regulator?Or just an electric pump?Youtube videos say to have a return line to tank because electric pumps put out a constant pressure and they will flood  engine out at idle.Any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated.

ronhatch

i just installed a FACET # 60304 pump from AIRCRAFT SPRUCE (they have the best prices - $36.) on my Case 4016 Onan engine. It only has a max PSI of 2 lbs, so no regulator or return lines necessary.  I also ordered a $5. FACET filter that screws into the inlet port of the pump, which makes for a nice clean installation.  Works GREAT!  Even though the system was completely 'dry' after installing the pump and all new gas lines, it started right up. Don't forget to include a 3 amp fuse to protect the pump  

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

Or a cheap reliable stock vacuum style pump from eBay or Amazon...

Screenshot_20180907-172258.png

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I'm a big fan of electric fuel pumps.  I have one on each of my 4 horses. 

Here is where I put one on my 1995 520H.

5b93143f8d4d5_ElectricFuelPump.jpg.e1cdbecdb5c0a5e82b3be303eefd087e.jpg

I used this pump from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C1LW0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, I hooked it up with a relay on 10 amp fuse.  No regulator required.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rod Bender

nice work

lynnmor
11 minutes ago, Rod Bender said:

nice work

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You responded to a five year old post, probably gathering information on your 520H..  If you ever want a rear lift, that position for a fuel pump will be in the way.

Rod Bender

1/4 inch fuel line?   My 520 h is giving me fits with the fuel delivery

lynnmor
15 hours ago, Rod Bender said:

1/4 inch fuel line?   My 520 h is giving me fits with the fuel delivery

Yes, all lines are 1/4".

Do yourself a favor and remove the seat, fender, left side panel and fuel tank, then do a proper cleaning of the tank and the area  that is now exposed, I use engine cleaner and a garden hose.  Oil all the moving parts except the friction washer on the cam.  Flush the tank and reassemble with a new bushing in the tank and replace the screened petcock if needed.  Replace all fuel line from the engine to the carburetor.  Now you can go a few years before having another fit.

• Like 1

Sam D

having a problem with stalling. noticed clear fuel filter has low fuel level. replaced pulse pump still having low fuel issue. considering going electric.any advice? 520-H onan

lynnmor

If you are seeing air in a clear fuel filter, that is perfectly normal.  Did you remove and clean the petcock screen in the tank?

Sam D

very low fuel in filter barely wets the paper element. did not remove and clean screen. removed hose and got full flow out of petcock. blew through lines, appeared to be clear. how do I remove petcock?

lynnmor
45 minutes ago, Sam D said:

very low fuel in filter barely wets the paper element. did not remove and clean screen. removed hose and got full flow out of petcock. blew through lines, appeared to be clear. how do I remove petcock?

The petcock is just pressed into the rubber bushing.  It would be a good time to flush the tank and replace the old bushing.  The bushings can be found at numerous places including your local lawnmower shop.

It sounds like your problem may be elsewhere, try removing the line from the carburetor and direct it into a container, then crank the engine to see if fuel is being pumped, of course take all precautions when doing this.

Do you know if the pulse hose behind the fuel pump is connected at each end and in good condition?

Sam D

Will check those items, Thank you for your suggestions. Machine is used at a remote location and I will bring it in to my garage to perform the procedures end post my results.

peter lena

@Sam D  on the first electric pump i installed years ago , also added a  single green LED pump on  light  , to tell me its working , simple ignition switch tye in , always experimenting .  pete

Sam D

Removed fuel line at carb got strong stream, all lines clear so apparently no issue with petcock screen. Mowed about an acre, mower shut off two or three times, fuel filter was almost dry each time. Slight choke, pumped gas a few times started right up. sat at idle cut out again. can't seem to replicate conditions that make it stall. If I shake the fuel filter it will sometime stall. Any thoughts?IMG_1479.jpeg.c5d216eb6afbb3a1be7a08e077c4101f.jpeg

Edited by Sam D
omission of word

lynnmor

Engine failing at higher temperatures is often the ignition module breaking down from heat.  If letting it sit for an hour and then starting and running normal for awhile is a clue.  Try pulling a spark plug wire immediately and attaching it to a spare plug to check for spark.

And quit being obsessed with that air in the fuel filter, duct tape over it will keep it out of sight and mind.

Sam D

Keep a 5/16 bolt wired to my steering wheel, when mower would quit ,pull wire and check spark, has spark. Kept a quart bottle of gas with me, mower would quit, remove air filter ,squirt of gas, starts right up. seems to be a fuel issue. maybe I will take off the pump and check the vac.hose. Could be an intermittent vacuum problem causing the pump malfunction.   seems like the carb is running out of gas   Thanks again for your ideas, duct tape solves many of man's problems...

lynnmor

You might want to start at the beginning and pull the petcock.  You may not have a screen or it is damaged. Debris in the tank, and there will be some, may be intermittently blocking fuel, so flush the tank.  Since this is a hydro, you will want to remove the tank and do a complete cleaning under there, debris blocks air flow and causes rust.