JC4AU

New Member, Retiring my C-195

JC4AU

Hi all! Just signed on to the forum for the first time, but I've been a fan for many years - shamelessly using your posts as valuable resources when fixing and maintaining the family WH.  The site and your posts are truly an asset to anyone using and caring for these wonderful tractors.

I've been running (and maintaining) a C-195 tractor since dad bought it new in 1983.  It's a great old tractor and it is still faithfully cutting grass to this day.  But, like most things of that era, it needs its share of TLC to keep it going.  Mind you I'm not shy of a considerable amount of wrenching on most things mechanical, but it seems like I've got more than my share of these sorts of challenges wrangling for my time these days.  Not to mention, I've still got grass to cut.

I plan to list the tractor here on the site and on my local internet swap site, but what's one of these worth?  The (original) motor smokes just a little at startup, but the tractor runs great and looks almost that good too.  If any of you familiar with these have advice on selling, I would certainly appreciate your insight.

Here's what I have:

Wheel Horse 1982/83 C-195 Tractor w/Hydrostatic Transmission (2810 Hrs)

Wheel Horse 3-point hitch and rear PTO installed

Wheel Horse 60" Mower Deck

Wheel Horse 50" Tiller Attachment

PeCo ProTwin "14" Gas Powered Bagger/Vacuum

Front Wheel Weights help to counter balance the bagger when full

All Owners Manuals and a couple Glossy Color Brochures even

All in good working order

I know you folks like to see a few photos from new members, so here's a couple quick shots.  Thanks for any insight you may have on this one.

jc

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

• Like 8

Racinbob

:WRS:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack @Sarge, here's your chance at a c195, and BTW @JC4AU :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:... Jeff.

• Like 1

953 nut

That is a fine looking C-195.            I have no idea what a fair price would be for your :wh:. The three point hitch and rear PTO option are worth as much as the tractor and I hope members who have one will be along to help.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good luck with the sale!

You are in the right place for all things :wh:!!!

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

(two grand) :thumbs:

RandyLittrell

Welcome to RS! I am sure somebody closer to you can help you with pricing, but do ya really want to sell something your Dad bought new? I can tell you that tractor is a great one to have and you won't buy a new one comparable unless you spend about 8 to 10 grand!

Either way, good luck! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

I have a few of em around, and let me tell you this. The combo of rear pto and 3pt. is what sets it over the top. That is some of the most sought after WH items/tractors. Last one I bourght was 2500 with no bagger and no tiller. It was a lower hour 84, but still. More pics would help name a price. :-)

If your tiller is as nice as the tractor, that is at least 400$ in my area.

I would not be ashamed putting it out there at 2500.

If you want to split it up, sell attachments on the side, that would certainly also be doable. I can see a few items I would not mind having dibs on :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

Aldon

1500 for just tractor and deck.

so as you have described I agree 2500 is fair in my opinion.

however supply and demand will impact that number potentially.

Most will deduct travel costs to pick up from the net they are willing to pay.

• Like 1

JC4AU

Thank you all for the warm welcome and considered opinions. I actually had a figure in mind and you are all helping to adjust that probable range before I post the ad. I’m just looking for what a fair asking price would be and you’re helping with that a great deal. In the end of coarse, it will go for the best offer. 

Keep the comments coming if you think of something. I’ll post the ad up later tonight if it’s not too late when I get home. 

• Like 1

ericj

I have a nice C195 that I don't really want to sell, I guess that's key, but I don't think I would take much less then  $ 2000.00 for it. Of course I haven't been able to sell it for that price. A C195 with three point hitch and PTO is worth a pretty penny around my parts. A 3 pt tiller is fairly rare around here also. The bagger's around here go for somewhere around $ 350.00  by themselves. When I buy something I want it as cheap as I can get it but when I sell it I want a decent price for it. You say you are going to sell it for the best offer, on here in the classified adds you can't auction something off. So you have to set the price high and then take the closest price to your desired price. If you sell it to someone on here you know it will go to a good home with somebody taking good care of it and babying it. good luck

eric j 

• Like 2

dcrage

One of the members here has a C-195 with 3 pt and rear PTO with 60” deck for sale locally for $1800. Don’t know what he will get in the end but you would think that must be pretty reasonable. He sells a lot of good tractors. 

Edited by dcrage

WildmanC120

This is one of the models I am looking for but you are too far from NY for me.  Sucks

WHX??

I agree with @ericj but neither he or I know your  area and that's what the final worth is. I think it's worth 3k all day what with the 3 PT and attachments but one would be hard pressed to get that in my area. Other areas different story. No  matter what I would dare anyone to find a tractor of this caliber that with those implements for what you are going to ask. Good luck.

• Like 1

JC4AU

Thank you again all for your help.  I've posted the ad over in the classifieds section this morning.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      The RJ58 was the big hit for spectators this year at my local festivals here in Carroll County OH. 
      the children loved getting their pictures sitting on it, then they discovered the bicycle horn under the steering wheel. It’s always a joy even in parades. Just love showing off part of my collection every year and hearing all the stories from those that had WH in their lives at one time. Can hardly wait to get to retirement so I can get some of my other models back to their glory in working order and be able to attend other shows/festivals throughout the year. My fellow tractor enthusiasts always know when a spectacular starts asking about WH, they point in my direction. I study up on the history of the different models and always intrigue those that didn’t know much about how WH came to be. This website is one place that has helped me learn so much about the WH history and I thank you for sharing your knowledge that I am able to pass on to keep WH alive and well.

• wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      Curious what aftermarket options has anyone done to add the 3 point to the C195?
      Seems that the JD 317 style could be a bolt on to the C195s uprights. Some other brands seem similar that might bolt on with some minor modifications. Otherwise I know the D series is a similar setup other than the upper arm and the center point bracket, but it looks to be a fairly simple design to build. 
      MF 1855 looks close to WH design.
      Case 446 design almost looks identical setup.

• Alex175
      By Alex175
      So after I purchased my C-195 at the end of last year, and got it up and running smooth, I have decided it's time to start putting it to work.  I've had a handful of projects, including another thread on here where I have received a lot of help in figuring out what I need to convert one of my trailers into a hydraulic dump that will be powered off of the tractor.  I am still waiting for my hydraulic cylinder to be deliver, so in the meantime I've been working on some other projects for the tractor I have affectionately nicknamed "Sloth".

One of my main goals with the C-195 is to get more landscaping done around the property. When I bought my house it was in foreclosure and the previous owner hadn't done much in the way of yard maintenance outside of basic mowing for a few years.  Areas under trees were getting overrun by saplings, especially where the previous homeowner had planted sassafras trees as a sort of privacy fence.  The problem was they had now propagated uncontested and had begun taking over the woods line, and the older trees that had originally been planted for privacy were now so big that all the yearly growth was now at a height of 5+ feet, thereby no longer performing the task they were originally planted for.  

Knowing cleaning this up was going to be my first task, I needed a way to get these saplings out of the ground with relative ease, and getting roots and all.  So my first purchase was a new 3,000 lb winch that I could mount up to the 3 point to pluck the saplings out of the ground.  The picture on the left is of the initial setup after I first got the winch.  After running it a few times, it did the job fantastically, but I found that I hated the original metal cable. My main issue was I would pluck out one sapling, go to the next one, but by the time I had the spool of remaining cable had loosened itself up and created a birds nest.  That and walking back and forth to the tractor between each pull gave it more opportunity to do so, so I decided on a few upgrades (right picture).  First I switched over to a synthetic rope which doesn't have the "memory" a metal cable has, so it doesn't unspool itself.  While I was doing that I also ordered a wireless remote system for the winch, so now plucking out all the damn sassafras trees I have will be a lot quicker.  Got it all set up where none of the electronics are bolted to the tractor, they are all a part of the hitch setup to keep things cleaner, and the tractor unmolested.  Got a quick disconnect cable running back from the battery, so now it's just a matter of hook up the power, and start pulling!

While I was working on the winch, I found two CAT 0 attachments on Facebook Marketplace, having had trouble finding much of anything that is CAT 0 so far for this machine I jumped on them, so now I have a good old plow and disc harrow.  They are real nice, heavy duty steel with a good patina, so now the question is, do I clean them up and throw some red and black paint on them, or do I keep them as they are?  Either way, they look real nice on the back of the beast, and I'm sure they will work really well.

So now I've got these items, and I've got the proper equipment to mount my mower decks and snowblower onto the C-195, I guess it's time to get to work.  But while I am doing that it's also a good time to think of what my next targets are going to be.  I'd love to find a D Series 56" plow, and maybe a grader blade, or....too many options to choose from  
    • Sarge
      By Sarge
      Been wanting to figure out a better way to move dead tractors around - some, just isn't cooperative at being towed - the AC 916H is a great example around here. Since the rear axle is a hydro, it does not disengage fully for some reason and the tires are really shot badly. The 16Auto dug some big holes the last time I tried to move it around, so the idea here is to use the D's 3pt lift and it's size/weight advantage to move other dead tractors. I also wanted a toolbar that could have adapters added for various tasks - such as cultivators, tines, rear blade, ect. I've wanted to build a wrecker for years, just never had the time to do it - this year, I decided I've had enough of my aching back and legs - this needs to get done before I end up in the hospital. Always seems there is no help available when I need it, so now is the time - here is where I'm at as of now...

All built from 1/4" thick iron, except the hub mounting plate which 1/2" thick A50 steel. Trailer hub/stub shaft is a 1750lb rated unit. In hindsight, if I ever did it again I'd use a heavier DOM tubing and just turn it to accept bearing races, make the shaft on the lathe and be done with it. Not to mention, I could control the thickness of the assembly a lot better. There are "rear tire carrier builder" parts available out there to do just that with pre-built tubing, the correct bearings and shaft - you just weld it into the square tubing of choice. Still a lot to do - need to make a set of centering springs, locking pins (for toolbar use), tire carrier arms w/tie-down rings, rear blade adapters, ect....

Just thought I'd share a bit - need to some lift testing today, hopefully.

Sarge
    • Tim T
      By Tim T
      Have had my tractor die on me a few times while mowing this year. Once my son-in-law wiggled wire from battery to 25 amp fuse to ammeter and then it started. Tractor died again a month later and noticed 25 amp fuse blew. Replaced fuse and has worked fine many hours until today. Fuse was blown. Turned ignition off to relace fuse but there was still significant power going through the wire and arced when inserting the fuse (which immediately blew). I read in this forum that corrosion around the ammeter backing strap caused his fuse to blow. I removed ammeter and inspection of the wires, connections and strap found no smoking gun. Anybody have an idea what I can check / troubleshoot to find cause of high amps running through the fuse and blowing it? Thanks in advance.