ebinmaine

Can you add steps to a "stirrup tractor" ??

ebinmaine

Curious to see how you have added steps to your pre 68 tractors...

• Like 1

953 nut

Are you talking about the running boards that started being used in '68 or '69?  If that is it all you need is a second piece of 3/4" round stock on each side near the back of the running boards to support them.

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

Eric, someone bought a tractor recently that had put the running boards on an earlier tractor I wish I could remember who that was.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Are you talking about the running boards that started being used in '68 or '69?  If that is it all you need is a second piece of 3/4" round stock on each side near the back of the running boards to support them.

I guess I'm not really sure what I want. I was thinking of something that was just a flat step without the vertical portion. I don't want the tractor to look like I'm trying to imitate the later models.

1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

Eric, someone bought a tractor recently that had put the running boards on an earlier tractor I wish I could remember who that was.

Maybe they'll chime in.....

JAinVA

The c120 had running board foot rests and no 3/4" rear bars.There was a bracket bolted to the hood stand and the rear portion of the rests bolt to this bracket. Go to parts tree and look up the c120 parts list.

• Thanks 1

JAinVA

If you just want  a short rest then a fabricated angle iron bracket could be bolted to the frame on each side.For obvious reasons the support can't go completely across the frame.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

I bought an 857 at the big show that most guys said belonged to a set of stirrups originally but came with running boards... it doesn’t have the second round bar out back but considering her weight, I doubt that is a concern.  The rear of the running board bolts to the front fender support/latch bar.

AFFFB933-9188-417A-8E6D-C4B971C86F3B.jpeg

3B2F4773-D95D-492E-8251-3094610D1C70.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Wrong picture, but kept the Commando 800 for comparison
  • Like 5

RandyLittrell

Yup, that's the one I was thinking about!!

Randy

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

@ebinmaine, if my 1277 didn't have a loader on it, I would need something too. I have short legs plus "all gut, no but" syndrome so I can barely reach the pedal. Don't really need to since it doesn't have brakes anyway. I rest my foot on the loader mount.

KIMG0250.jpg

• Like 2

Mikey the Monkey

KIMG0302.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

The c120 had running board foot rests and no 3/4" rear bars.There was a bracket bolted to the hood stand and the rear portion of the rests bolt to this bracket. Go to parts tree and look up the c120 parts list.

I have several B and C series rigs here to compare.

I'd like something flat but without the rear attachment point I'm going to be pretty limited I think...

Main issue is. Well ... Me.:D

EACH step needs to support over 250 pounds when I'm getting on/off the tractor.

• Like 2

Machineguy
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have several B and C series rigs here to compare.

I'd like something flat but without the rear attachment point I'm going to be pretty limited I think...

Main issue is. Well ... Me.:D

EACH step needs to support over 250 pounds when I'm getting on/off the tractor.

:text-yeahthat:We have the same concern with structural support. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

KIMG0302.jpg

Mike thanks for posting that pic.

Those wooden running boards could be the ticket.... Plain varnish....

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

KIMG0302.jpg

My concern would be just how much weight that would hold? Its strap bent at an angle bolted to angle iron. I am closer to 280 and I am thinking it would go to the ground with me. 

How about it @Mikey the Monkey, whats the rating? 

I think if you used some 1" tubing that went all the way across underneath, that would be pretty sturdy. Would it be in the way if it did? I don't have a deck on an older Horse. But if I take the loader off my 1277, I am gonna want to do something like that. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

JAinVA

It depends on how long you want foot rest to be.If far enough back you could fab something that goes all the way across.It would only have to clear the mower lift arm.If you are 250 plus it might be a good thing to have a foot rest to take pressure off the steering column when mounting.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

It depends on how long you want foot rest to be.If far enough back you could fab something that goes all the way across.It would only have to clear the mower lift arm.If you are 250 plus it might be a good thing to have a foot rest to take pressure off the steering column when mounting.

I have no mowers here so that clearance isn't an issue.

• Like 1

JAinVA

If mowers are not an issue then lets us what you come up with.If you are like the rest of us and you wrench on them you should be able to come up with what works best for you.Let us see some photos when you get done.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I've never really thought about this but I'm thinking like @pullstart that the rear bar isn't needed. I had to pull up a picture of the Commando 800 I restored for my grandson and it doesn't look like there's a rear bar unless I can't see it in the picture. That tractor was original when we got it in the early 80's and still going strong today with no stress issues. Then again, it hasn't had a 'full grown' operator as all of us are in the mid 100's. Having the bar would certainly add strength. :)

DSCN0291.JPG.d03ef5c4d51d60ad245ffd14fbbc34d9.JPG 

• Like 3

Racinbob

I just looked at a picture of my 76 and don't see one there either. I should know because I just had that one apart but I'd have to look to make sure. :rolleyes:

Edit: The parts manual doesn't show a rear bar on the 76 so apparently it isn't needed. My 2005 does have one so I guess it's based on the year and how the sheet metal is attached to the frame. 

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

@ebinmaine, I bet if you went to the hardware store, picked up a length of square tubing, oak stair tread, and some hardware, you could build you some running boards pretty easy! 

Randy

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

@ebinmaine, I bet if you went to the hardware store, picked up a length of square tubing, oak stair tread, and some hardware, you could build you some running boards pretty easy! 

Randy

You may have yourself a pretty neat idea right there Randy.

I have plenty of wood scraps around already but I'm not sure if I have any Square stock that is smaller than about 2 in.

@Racinbob @pullstart

I'm thinking I'd like to add some that do not have the vertical portion at the back. Kind of keep with a unique look of the tractor.

• Like 3

Mikey the Monkey

The steel is 1.5 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick. I can put all 199 lbs on it no problem. I like how they look. Interesting add on by original owner who's been gone a long time. 

Edited by Mikey the Monkey
  • Like 1

Mikey the Monkey
20 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

My concern would be just how much weight that would hold? Its strap bent at an angle bolted to angle iron. I am closer to 280 and I am thinking it would go to the ground with me. 

How about it @Mikey the Monkey, whats the rating? 

I think if you used some 1" tubing that went all the way across underneath, that would be pretty sturdy. Would it be in the way if it did? I don't have a deck on an older Horse. But if I take the loader off my 1277, I am gonna want to do something like that. 

Randy

Chris G

You could use some old cub foot rest as I did. Then I just fabricated a bracket holding the rear of them up and bolted to the frame. I made the bracket to hold them at the position I wanted. I'm only around 185 pounds and they hold up to me pushing on them and all the abuse I put to them.

Screenshot_2018-09-05-20-53-36.png

Screenshot_2018-09-05-20-53-15.png

• Like 3