WHrookie

K181 Points Sparks

WHrookie

Recently completed installing points and condenser on my c81/k181s.  With engine running and points cover off, I see spark at the contacts and also on the side in the area of the adjusting screw.  What should I do to eliminate the additional spark?

ebinmaine

I don't know what the answer is but I would like to for future knowledge so I'm going to follow along

953 nut

Your condenser is supposed to reduce the amount of sparking at the points, it won't eliminate all sparking. Is the condenser connected to the "-" side of the ignition coil along with the wire from the points? Presuming the connections are correct you can remove the condenser wire from the coil and start the engine to see if the condition worsens. If little or no change is noticed you probably have a defective condenser.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Sounds like the body of the points that is secured to the engine block does not have a good electrical contact to the block. One would think the screw mounting the points would be sufficient.

Perhaps the points have a clear coating on them or an oil applied to prevent corrosion in the box is the cause.

I would remove the points and sand the side contacting the block and do the block as well.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHrookie

Thanks,  my first thought was grounding and then the cond.  the cond. is NOS and it did have some discoloration to its casing.  Ill let you know what I find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHrookie

A little background on this 1978 C81.  It hadn’t been cranked in 6.5 years and when I got it home, cleaned carb and put in a Lowe’s spark plug.  A little fuel in cylinder and it fired right up.  Happiest person in the world, until it shut off and wouldn’t crank.  Checked coil, close to being bad, so it was replaced.  Rebuilt carb, new point and cond.  went through hrs of retiming and setting point, still wouldn’t crank.  Checked fire to plug and had spark.   Bottom line was, bad new plug.  Finally figured it out by taking plug from electro 12 and there you have it.  I’m just a rookie on the small engines, but with all the help here, figured it out.  My last extra spark problem was Grounding. Removed points and sanded points base and base on block, no extra spark.  What a wonderful site to soothe from blowing up a good tractor.  Now, I will refurbish this one first and the tackle the electro 12 next.  The 12 is a running tractor but needs some love.  The C81 still smokes some, but I can live with that.  You guys are great.  Patience, I’m starting to learn since retirement. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

BOB ELLISON

@WHrookie all of us started the same way knowing nothing about these wheel horse tractors. I read a lot of the posts here just to learn from others problems.

Great people here that's why I stayed.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHrookie said:

You guys are great.  Patience, I’m starting to learn

Me too. Some everyday.

1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@WHrookie all of us started the same way knowing nothing about these wheel horse tractors. I read a lot of the posts here just to learn from others problems.

Great people here that's why I stayed.

Agreed !!!

gwest_ca

Never heard of this problem before. The points must have been varnished or there was a layer of paint on the block where they mount. The location of the arcing was the only point that it was attempting to make electrical contact to ground. One would think the mounting screw would have been sufficient. Not sure measuring point resistance would have found it either because it did run.

Learn something new every day.

Garry

• Like 1

WHrookie

Gary, must have been a film of oil preventing 100% grd.  Base of points and block looked clean but after i scuffed them and even the cam cover, it disappeared.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maybe a piece of wire fell out of the clip and is grounding out.  :think:

squonk

Parts like points are usually packaged with a very light rust inhibitor on them. Also the contacts are exposed to corrosion just sitting in the parts bag. It depends on how much humidity is in the air when the bag is sealed. There is a note packaged with them to clean the contacts before installing.Electricity seeks the least resistive path to ground  Don't ask how I know. :o

• Like 1

WHrookie
9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Maybe a piece of wire fell out of the clip and is grounding out.  :think:

Problem has been resolved.  Insufficient common grd.

• Excellent 1