WHX??
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Got this Brinly too

Holy crap a double score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

19richie66
29 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Holy crap a double score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

And four suitcase weights. Quadruple score!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

We could make a “plow dog” out of you yet Richie!:lol:

I was just picturing you shining up those plows by going to the local beach, slapping a set of high floatation tires (think @ebinmaine!)on your favorite tractor, hook on a plow, some sunscreen, and get to work!:auto-layrubber: Not sure how it would go over with “Baywatch” but I’ll bet you that it would draw a crowd.  The furrows would fill in fast but then you could just keep on plowing—almost like pressing the reset button on your “field” (every Plow dogs dream)!  :text-lol:

Tom—thanks for the picture.  That corrects a HUGE misconception that most people have about plow share size.  You don’t measure back along the share to determine the size, you measure out perpendicular to the landside from the suck point to the outside edge of the share.  Essentially, it is the width of how much soil you are cutting out on each pass.

A666B474-229D-4EEF-858E-D4657F0F4505.jpeg.86dfca8c4ce0b44366173c37b6a2bb62.jpeg

Dad’s Plow has a 10” share and so it cuts approximately a 10” furrow on every pass. 

48E1CF4B-EC58-4FF6-B7B9-F874AD3554C3.jpeg.cf494cac95ff5558d7bff08f01c6e1fb.jpeg

Caleb is using an 8” plow which is cutting approximately an 8” furrow.  

Hopefully between this post and Tom’s above, it clears up the misconception of how the size of a plow is measured...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

, slapping a set of high floatation tires (think @ebinmaine!)on your favorite tractor,

Hey 

Go BIG or go home!!

It probably won't be this year due to plenty on our proverbial plates already.... I've still got the thought of a Big-Wheel Horse in the future.

Our work forklifts have Carlisle ags, 31-15.50-15.

YYEEAAAAHHHHHH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66
9 hours ago, WHX21 said:

That's a real nice score Ritchie :handgestures-thumbupright:... in fact that is now my dibs plow!

I don't think I have ever saw one with that brace off the landslide. Is that a dealer sticker on it??

Believe it or not Jim, this plow is a Florida native. It was sold at Thrailkill Bike and Mower in Orlando. I have my dad’s C-120 that also was sold at the same dealer. He got it from the original owners which were friends of his. I have the bill of sale somewhere. (I hope) 

• Excellent 4

19richie66

I’ll have to figure out which tractor it would work on better. The C-120 and 953 are the only manual Tractors I have.

Edited by 19richie66

19richie66

The wheel Horse plow is a 12” plow. I believe the Brinly is too. 

• Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Richie—that is a good question. It is really hard to argue against the original Big Wheel tractors: gear driven, hydraulic lift, high clearance, classic big tractor stance.  However, the local circle here in WI all plow with conventional “small wheel” tractors and they work great.  Caleb’s JackRabbit really impressed me as well and that is a hydrostatic machine as you well know.  Honestly, I don’t think you could go wrong with either machine.  The key is to purpose build it for plowing. Doesn’t mean it CAN’T be used for another purpose but that should be its primary purpose.  When you look at Dan’s Raider, Tom’s “the Machine”, or my GhostRider, they are all set up as Plow mules. They are setup and ready to go plowing at a moments notice.  It will be fun to watch and see what you decide.  You will definitely have to start a thread...”building a plow mule!”

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

However, the local circle here in WI all plow with conventional “small wheel” tractors and they work great.

They may get the job done, but your dad's 953 gets the job done and looks so kool doing it!                :twocents-02cents:

Image result for don't be a follower, be a trendsetter                            :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

You know I like Big Wheels Richard!  One of dad’s 953 YouTube plowing videos has gone viral and has over a million hits...

8CD40990-F39A-4406-9ABC-E505A66623D1.jpeg.29bac5997043470224f7b7246cae0c16.jpeg

It is definitely a fun tractor to use.  It really comes down to what you prefer to build.  High clearance skinny tires seem to do a good job, it does take a little more work to set the plow for the height of the rear hitch.  I could see Richie building a drop hitch if the need presented itself:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 4

WHX??

Well we all know now where Dick's heart lies! :lol:

Either tractor would do just fine Ritchie. Tom's @Shynongot a boss 953 or 1054 I CRS but he plowed abit with it and did well. :text-imsorry: no pics.... maybe 'Jack or Dan @Achto does?

Eventually I will have one of my 953's ready to plow just a matter of having the project time, getting two 953's to function as one ain't exactly a weekend project but certainly up on the project list. Hydraulics are a plus for us old farts with bad shoulders:text-lol:

BTW fellas my plow day is tentatively set for 10/19/19 but that's up in the air as of this writing. I have yet to officially put in on the RS calendar. Everthing is going to hinge on the harvest.... growers getting their beans/corn off. Who knows what the fall is going to be like. One thing fer sure with what we did last year people were impressed we plowed what we did with a single bottom.  Weather be damned we can honestly say we plowed in snow! 

I have also been approached by a vintage tractor club about some advertising in their newsletter and a monetary donation. Still on the fence about that till we have a high level meeting :occasion-xmas: with those who help me put this gig on.   

Your excused Ritchie due to

(1) Distance

(2) Maybe not having a tractor ready

(3) Being beaver whipped 

(4) :laughing-rolling:

Edited by WHX21
  • Haha 5

Shynon

@WHX21 1054 with a 12hp, 8 pinion differential. 

1054.jpg

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 7

19richie66
8 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Well we all know now where Dick's heart lies! :lol:

Either tractor would do just fine Ritchie. Tom's @Shynongot a boss 953 or 1054 I CRS but he plowed abit with it and did well. :text-imsorry: no pics.... maybe 'Jack or Dan @Achto does?

Eventually I will have one of my 953's ready to plow just a matter of having the project time, getting two 953's to function as one ain't exactly a weekend project but certainly up on the project list. Hydraulics are a plus for us old farts with bad shoulders:text-lol:

BTW fellas my plow day is tentatively set for 10/19/19 but that's up in the air as of this writing. I have yet to officially put in on the RS calendar. Everthing is going to hinge on the harvest.... growers getting their beans/corn off. Who knows what the fall is going to be like. One thing fer sure with what we did last year people were impressed we plowed what we did with a single bottom.  Weather be damned we can honestly say we plowed in snow! 

I have also been approached by a vintage tractor club about some advertising in their newsletter and a monetary donation. Still on the fence about that till we have a high level meeting :occasion-xmas: with those who help me put this gig on.   

Your excused Ritchie due to

(1) Distance

(2) Maybe not having a tractor ready

(3) Being beaver whipped 

(4) :laughing-rolling:

1) :handgestures-thumbupright:

2) :confusion-shrug:

3)   :confusion-confused:

4) :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

Achto

Although I did not build Radpferd with plowing in mind, I had an opportunity to hitch him up to a 10" Brinly and do a little work with him. Given the fact that he is a short frame with no added weight I was a little skeptical. At the start I did not sink the plow in all of the way. After I noticed that he was not struggling and the front end was not getting light, I decided to sink the plow and try to give him a work out. With the plow buried deep enough to almost high center the poor guy following me, Radpferd trudged along in 2nd gear at 1/2 throttle with very little effort. The diesel engine in him is rated at 10hp at 3600RPMs, but the max torque of 18ft lbs comes in at the 2800RPM range. The 26x12x12 tires never slipped, although they did not really fit in the furrow very well. The front end stayed firmly planted to the ground, more weight up front would not hurt anything though. The Ohio Rubber seat is very comfy and set up for the long haul. All in all this would be a simple tractor to set up as a "plow mule". Looking forward to an opportunity to hitch him up to a 12" Brinly, @PeacemakerJack.

Two improvements that I would make If I were to plow with this tractor more often.

1 - More weight

2 - Hydraulic Lift.    

DSCN2671-min.JPG.384621df84ff95325e4ff4899e6f4b0f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: thanks for the write up Dan!  That thing looks like it handles the plow duties with ease.  We will definitely hook the Punisher to him at some point in the near future.  Sounds like the next installment for WH Comics, “Radpferd and the Punisher”!:D

I can’t wait to get a little seat time on that thing.  My guess is, if we can get it behind another 12” plow, those monster meats will fit better in the furrow.  Mike’s White Knight is like that with the same size tires as yours on the rear.   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Sounds like the next installment for WH Comics, “Radpferd and the Punisher”!:D

:ROTF:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

@Achto

Do you know the weight of that diesel in comparison to say an 8 or 10 horse Kohler?

Achto
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you know the weight of that diesel in comparison to say an 8 or 10 horse Kohler?

I don't know the weight of the Kohlers off hand, the Hatz 1B40 tips the scale around 115lbs.

• Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Achto said:

I don't know the weight of the Kohlers off hand, the Hatz 1B40 tips the scale around 115lbs.

Seems as though the small blocks are probably 75 or 85 lb and the Big blocks are around 120 or so, give or take.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, Achto said:

...the Hatz 1B40 tips the scale around 115lbs.

If memory serves me correct, the M18 twin is about 125-30#.  That puts that “little” 10hp single in some beastly company:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Ok, I’ll be pulling for reinforcements here  @PeacemakerJack, @WHX24, @Achto...

As soon as it sold, I kicked myself for not bidding on the full hooded David Bradley walk behind, outfitted with 15” ag tires and outside wheel weights at the Portage auction.  It went for a measly $95!  Once invited to the plow day at Jim’s this fall, I immediately thought of Hot Wheels!  With the largest gas tank in my fleet, high ground clearance and the hydraulic lift, why not make this into a plow dog furrow monster?

I heard the soil is perfect for even @stevasaurus‘ turf tires?  It gives me the feeling that the Hankook Radial T34’s will probably be plenty enough bite?  My guess is there is at least 5/8” tread depth on them.  It appears that one set of chains I picked up is for a 15” tire of some sort... maybe they’d fit something I have to roll around on!

Weight.  I know weight is almost the most important aspect of plowing.  Should it only go on the land side tire, and could I get away with fluid filling my tires and calling that good?  @953 nut do you recall if Hot Wheels has tubes in the front or back, or should I break them down and double check?  The rears are 235/75/15 and fronts are 5.7-8.  From the weight of filling my 4-8’s and 23x8.50R12 Deestones, I know there will be serious weight added.

I believe the plow I have is a 10” and I have a coulter wheel for it.  Also attached is a picture of the Brinly type hitch I built.  I imagine it’ll work just dandy on Hot Wheels.

Am I missing much?

5F22EC08-5878-4509-A19B-74337E317607.jpeg

A1E22818-B007-421A-9CAD-68587EEC044E.jpeg

C7F21519-5D5F-4FB1-AF28-3CF1E8980573.jpeg

BC049FB6-E8AA-48DB-B89E-16A74A88B2CA.jpeg

6DC127F7-2C1D-4612-81B4-F08203C4A14A.jpeg

F929BCBD-D370-4882-BD2D-5D8BCA3BD547.jpeg

2F93072A-4D38-4137-BF80-8D77C0ADD299.jpeg

9DC87D81-69D3-433F-8954-D4A2C694170C.jpeg

FAED1090-0D4A-4BBC-ADA3-41854870B570.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
47 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@953 nut do you recall if Hot Wheels has tubes in the front or back, or should I break them down and double check?  The rears are 235/75/15 and fronts are 5.7-8.

Kevin, I don't know if the rear tires have tubes or not, they were on the 953 when I got it. The fronts are tubeless. I plowed with "Hot Wheels" once and had no problem with traction. My plow is a "Slot Hitch" 10 inch and the oversize rear tires and wider rear track width caused the plow to not quite fall where it should. With a sleeve hitch you could adjust the plow over a bit to solve that problem.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Kevin—I think that you are right on track there!  Ag’s Would be nice eventually even if just for the “tractor look”.  However, you certainly can “run what you brung” for the first outing and see how it goes.  I have several buckets of tire chains that we could splice some together as a backup if you feel you are spinning too much.  However, with fluid filling those tires, I think you’ll have plenty of weight.  Dad’s Clyde has only the inside rear wheel weights on it and traction definitely hasn’t been an issue.  You will want to fabricate a stop for your hitch (Talk to Dan on that one, he gave me a couple of suggestions for GhostRider when I change it to an electric lift that I like) or build a land wheel or gauge wheel or depth wheel (whatever you want to call it) for the plow.  That way you can preset the depth, drive into the furrow, drop the plow and go.  Clyde is a pleasure to plow with and once you get Hot Wheels dialed in, I know that you will really enjoy it too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1