PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

Achto
13 hours ago, JoeliusZ28 said:

Thank you!  OK i found some on ebay. :handgestures-thumbupright:

In order for the lift to work you will also require the cable that goes from the rock shaft to the hitch. You find get these at https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/parts.html

• Like 1

Firebug

Learning a lot from this. I’m on the fence about a c-160 with a plow. I don’t have a huge plot to turn, but would still like to add it to the herd. I’ve seen videos of the plow days and it looks like a blast.  I know the inter web is a good place to find out when and where, but does any one have any information on locations where they do this. I’m in northeast Ohio and I’ve never heard of any of them locally. Not opposed to driving to get to one but don’t want to eat up my weekend getting there. 

• Like 1

Cetan08
30 minutes ago, Firebug said:

Learning a lot from this. I’m on the fence about a c-160 with a plow. I don’t have a huge plot to turn, but would still like to add it to the herd. I’ve seen videos of the plow days and it looks like a blast.  I know the inter web is a good place to find out when and where, but does any one have any information on locations where they do this. I’m in northeast Ohio and I’ve never heard of any of them locally. Not opposed to driving to get to one but don’t want to eat up my weekend getting there. 

I am east central Ohio and I would love to find a GT plow days locally. I did find an antique power equipment club that has plow days and they invited me to run with the big dogs. At my own pace mind you. LOL

• Excellent 2

Firebug

I’ve been looking and it seems like the closest one is a few hours over into pa. 

Firebug

I just looked at that site. I had no idea there were so many close to me. In fact there’s one in the next town over, where they hold it is less than 5 miles from the house, and I’ve never heard of it. Time to start making some calls to see what events they all have. Great website!! Thank you for the contact link!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: this is a VERY addictive hobby (as if collecting :wh:‘s isn’t)!  You’ve been forewarned!:ychain:  

However, there may be some challenges your first few times at it.  Don’t be afraid to ask someone at the first plow day you attend to help you if you are struggling a little with your setup.  Also, we would love to help you as much as we can here. Don’t be afraid to post pictures of your setup and we can discuss the details.  If you are patient though, you will get your tractor setup and when complete, plowing is a super fun GT activity!  Glad you found some PD’s close to you...

• Like 3

Firebug

Oh I’ve caight the big, now I’m just looking to expand on the uses for them I guess is one way to put it. I have 4 now that I use, I’ve never been one to let equipment sit. They were built to work so that’s what I intend to do with them. And I’ve been very happy with how they perform. Gets a little frustrating at times when I need to get something done and have to spend more time wrenching, but that’s the joy of “antique” tractors. Have one thing left on my d 200 and it will be a “restored” worker. I fought the big and I hope there’s no cure

briankd

just plowed my garden few weeks ago the old 857 did great was wanting to go across the road and play in the field but it was way to wet garden was plenty wet plowing

1545016462435[1].jpeg

1545016461491[1].jpeg

1545016460579[1].jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Before watching this video, put down your coffee, soda, or other preferred beverage...I don’t want you to spill it on your favorite electronic device, ruining it in the process! This is an example of how NOT TO PLOW!

This is a powerful diesel cub with John Deere 15 Cat O 3pt Plow. He is cutting a clean furrow but that is about the only positive I can take away from this video.  I was looking for a turbo diesel Cub video for a close friend today and stumbled across this. I’d like my experienced plow dogs to Chime in with comments—good, bad, ugly, and of course comedic (where’s @squonk) Lots can be learned from this...

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

squonk

I wonder how much their clothes stink after that escapade. Would make a great ad for Whisk

• Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, That's what the rednecks around here call "Rollin Coal" and the hillbilly in me would say he was "Rollin Sod" but techinally he was "slinging sod" at that speed with a side of "Death Wish"  from his "mobile ballast"...OSHA is probably having a coronary watching this or maybe using this video as a PSA...now Josh if you have learned anything from this is you need take your 1572 and go W.O. :auto-layrubber: at the next plow day :ROTF: slinging sod and rollin coal just don't use a mobile ballast device though :auto-ambulance: .

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Would make a great ad for Whisk

Maybe that way Whisk would not have been discontinued in 2017 :confusion-confused:...

• Haha 3

19richie66

At least no animals were harmed making that video :laughing-rolling: 

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

Could you imagine if half way down that furrow he would have hooked a 500# boulder or a better yet a 5” diameter tree root!!!:greetings-waveyellow::techie-offtheair:

2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

...technically he was "slinging sod" at that speed with a side of "Death Wish"  from his "mobile ballast"...

Jeff—all I can think of is “most trips to the emergency room begin with the line—Hey Guys, watch this!” :scared-yipes:

3 hours ago, squonk said:

I wonder how much their clothes stink after that escapade. Would make a great ad for Whisk

My son was laughing hysterically when they disappeared into a cloud of smoke at the opposite end of the field.  He’s like, “they vanished out of sight!”  Bet they had less mosquitoes though:ROTF:

• Haha 5

Razorback

How do you spell stupid???

I guess that’s one way to make up for weight, traction, etc.... and a good way to kill your friend!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Daron1965

I always get amazed by some of the odd, dangerous things that people do. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

19richie66

Picked this up yesterday. A little far away to come plowing but I’m sure I’ll find something to dig into when I get moved. 

A08B842F-422C-44AF-81CA-802AEF2D07A2.jpeg

D4FCA78C-EB0C-4DAB-853D-868BF7DACDCB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack

Hey Tom @Shynon and Mike @prondzy what do you guys think—that looks like a 12” to me.  :eusa-think:  Nice looking plow for sure. When the time is right to actually put it to use, you’ll want to clean that moldboard and share up as detailed on the first page or two of this thread. 

Richie, you will have to come up some time for Jim’s PD!  You would not only be able to learn a few more tricks of the trade but be able to get some serious seat time.

C9E8898E-FA7C-4BCF-AF06-B1461C04B2A6.jpeg.4d8086322220fc8c557e49b04fabbd5a.jpeg

oh yea...if you ever make it up, you might  have to borrow some of  our cold weather gear if it is 25 degrees like last year!  (You certainly would have a free place to stay with us should you ever make it up...)

Glad you found the right plow for you Richie! 

Well done.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo
31 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I’m sure I’ll find something to dig into when I get moved.

Richie if you run that plow in the Florida sand, it should clean the "slight" oxidation on the coulter, share, and moldboard very easily.

That will make it glide through that Tarheel soil like going through butter!    ;) :ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

WHX??

That's a real nice score Ritchie :handgestures-thumbupright:... in fact that is now my dibs plow!

I don't think I have ever saw one with that brace off the landslide. Is that a dealer sticker on it??

19richie66

Yes it has a dealer sticker but I can’t make out where its from. I’ll get a better look tonight. Got this Brinly too

71C054E4-F842-46AB-B1CD-F264AB03DE04.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

That's a real nice score Ritchie :handgestures-thumbupright:... 

I don't think I have ever saw one with that brace off the landslide...

That’s another thing that leads me to believe that is a 12” plow...

93344C3D-C6F1-4F19-B7DD-AE92800E576D.jpeg.979a49b1271f387c1e69a43f3ad23d60.jpeg

Notice that Punisher has the same bracket.  Both of my older flat beam Brinly’s also have a brace but (it is shaped a little different) none of my other plows do.  I love that factory land wheel on that plow Richie!  When you compare the two plows side by side Richie, if the red one is a 12” the moldboard and share will be noticeably bigger and the whole plow will be quite a bit heavier...

• Like 1

19richie66

We’ll I’m a plowing idiot but wanting to learn.:laughing-rolling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

prondzy

I Think your right @PeacemakerJack, the brace was only used on a 12in as a Brinly, but that looks like an Ohio steel with the way the adjusters bolt is welded onto the top of the beams like that. Should look up the manuals and see what they say.

• Thanks 1