PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

19richie66

Flip that soil! One day I hope to try this out.👍

Edited by 19richie66

WHX??

That setup looks wicked Norm... the depth wheel as you call it looks a little skinny tho and might sink in on some of the soils we have here. Note on Jack's setup the scraper bar on the land wheel as we call it. I would venture to guess that's to keep clay for building up on the wheel Josh?

• Like 1

Daron1965
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Did you enjoy your time “in the saddle” today?

Yes,  I truly enjoyed it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Funny thing,  neighbor now would like me to plow a little larger area for him. He was "shocked,  that little tractor did so well".

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

For sure Jim.  Plowing in the sandy soil near your house, a scraper isn’t all that necessary, plowing in the sticky stuff near my house, that wheel could end up being 12” in diameter :-o 

Daron—you will find plowing with your GT to be quite addictive.  I’m hoping to get a little seat time tomorrow evening on Clyde if my work day goes ok.  My uncle has a bunch of open field work with pretty decent moisture content now.  If I make it out, I’ll do a write up here.

• Excellent 3

Stormin
7 hours ago, WHX20 said:

That setup looks wicked Norm... the depth wheel as you call it looks a little skinny tho and might sink in on some of the soils we have here. Note on Jack's setup the scraper bar on the land wheel as we call it. I would venture to guess that's to keep clay for building up on the wheel Josh?

I agree the wheel could be wider, but it's what I had. I'll see how it goes and keep an eye out for a wider one.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I LOVE IT WHEN SOIL CONDITIONS ARE JUST RIGHT!

Tonight, I spent a little over an hour plowing at my uncles.  I decided to use Clyde because my Dad lives just down the road from Bob’s farm.  Plus, I haven’t gotten any really good seat time on that tractor since we got it set up for plowing.  The moisture content of the soil was great, the trash was minimal, the temps were cool, and the 953 was plowing as good as I hoped that it would.  

55BC1B29-B7A0-4436-AFB0-927C85C62843.jpeg.c74521c2632c0f40763cd3a702f6472f.jpeg

The land wheel that Dad made for his plow works great.  It was easy to adjust on the fly and since the soil was pliable enough to plow to depth, it did its job as it should.

CBBEA4B6-92F2-45A2-AB7D-14696D654870.jpeg.6c21c64c8c66a65150eb8c077e292b71.jpeg

the plow was cutting a clean 5-6” deep furrow in most places.  I was very happy with how it was trailing behind the tractor.  There was even a little airspace between the landslide and the furrow wall when I stopped to check several times.

4D325540-30FE-45BF-AB46-59890E80E447.jpeg.760f7c6faabe7cd8e57dbfc3fedcddd3.jpeg

The 953/1054 platform is excellent for a plow mule!  I was totally enjoying the ground clearance, super comfortable seat (just needs an arm rest for my taste), and the overall stability of the big tractor.  

75325314-30FC-4F0F-8290-736D05AB72BC.jpeg.55ed70caf05c2ade75451c815168e3b8.jpeg

Those 7.60x15 implement tires also sit perfect in the furrow and supply an excellent amount of traction.  I plowed most of the time in second gear at about 1/2 throttle and was loving it.  One of my favorite things about fall is GT plowing!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

WHX??

Sounds like you were seat hog Josh... hope you let Dad run a few furrows! :lol:

We'll find out about that ground clearance ....if things go well about this two tractor 953 score I got lined up Dan and I might both be sleeping under tractors! :D

• Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

Ironically Jim—he is currently in Sofia, Bulgaria on a missions trip and so he wasn’t home to do some great plowing on his steed.  If he would’ve been home, I would’ve included a video of him plowing on Clyde—maybe next time.

Can’t wait to hear the skinny on those “Big Wheels”...:popcorn:

• Like 1

Daron1965
10 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

LOVE IT WHEN SOIL CONDITIONS ARE JUST RIGHT!

I'm glad too see you got some seat time.  Pictures look great. 

A true professional... :bow-blue:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Hey Josh @PeacemakerJack, how do you think these monsters would do pulling a plow?  I saw some on a UTV this weekend and was in awe of such an aggressive V tread!

306D48A9-228E-43CF-8F20-0089294FECA7.jpeg

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

I would think that they would work really well.  I haven’t personally dabbled in the ATV/UTV tire market but intent to in the near future for some of my plow rigs.  What I really like is the variety of sizes compared to the handful of GT offerings.  I want to product test a taller narrower tire on GhostRider eventually. I may have to space the fender pan up but I’m ok with that if I can get more ground clearance. I would love to experiment with a tire that is 8-9” wise but 25-26” tall.  I think Dan may be on to something when he has talked to me about the “furrow bite” of a good 8” wide AG versus the floating contact of a 10 or 12” wide AG.  I still have reserved judgment on the discussion until I have personally gotten more seat time on narrower tires.  Most everything that I’ve plowed on regularly has 23-10.50’s on it.  I love the look of the wide “meats” (call it the hot rod set in me:rolleyes:) but function is important here.  

Short answer—if you are building a plow mule Kevin, I wouldn’t hesitate to run those tires on it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Razorback

I might have missed it, but on the subject of best tires for ploughing:

I have used Ag's and turf's with chains. I think I like the turf's with chains the best. Might have something to do with the fact that the chains wrap up the side of the tire. Gives it that much more bite.

My hands-down favorite machine for ploughing is our Speedex 1631..... sits tall, nice tall ag's, plenty of weight, digs a nice deep furrow.

DSCF2269.JPG

• Like 2

Stormin

Those High Lifter Outlaws look like a sand tyre to me. I wouldn't bother with them personally. Ags are fine. I've 7" wide ags on narrowed wheels on my plough tractor. Work fine.

Cetan08

Following this post with excitement and enthusiasm. Going over today to pick up a Brinly plow, if all goes well, that was listed on CL for $35. Never count my chickens until they hatch but have already went to Brinly's site to get the manual. I will use this post to get up and running. Thanks for all the great information.

Got back with the plow and it is in great condition.

01616_jMlXumYZHKg_600x450.jpg

Edited by Cetan08
new information.
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Never bought one that cheap! :greetings-clappingyellow: well done.  As you get it hooked up be sure to check in here and ask any questions that you may have.  One of us can chime in to answer and since this is intended to be an informational thread, it will help future “potential plow dogs” in their first outings turning earth.  First thing I will say that is already mentioned above—clean up that moldboard and share before you try to plow... 

• Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Here's my $50 version...

IMAG3296.jpg

IMAG3297.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Cetan08
22 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Never bought one that cheap! :greetings-clappingyellow: well done.  As you get it hooked up be sure to check in here and ask any questions that you may have.  One of us can chime in to answer and since this is intended to be an informational thread, it will help future “potential plow dogs” in their first outings turning earth.  First thing I will say that is already mentioned above—clean up that moldboard and share before you try to plow... 

I will do that for sure. Now I am in a hurry for Spring to get here.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
42 minutes ago, Cetan08 said:

I will do that for sure. Now I am in a hurry for Spring to get here.

You may want to invest in some form of front weights as well...

IMAG3374.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Daron1965

There's just a special feeling of plowing the ground.  I really enjoy it. :greetings-clappingyellow:

It is very relaxing to me. 

• Like 4

squonk

• Like 2

Cetan08
13 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You may want to invest in some form of front weights as well...

IMAG3374.jpg

I don't have ags so I will need to look into those plus weights. I think that I am going to use my 416-8. It is the one that I am putting the cast iron Briggs in.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Yes...I have an addiction to plows.

C87A405D-BEC5-400A-B53D-18708858798E.jpeg.05348b05b2446d1bb31c75f67c93410c.jpeg

The one on the far left is a “sod bottom” wall behind plow, presumably from a David Bradley giving the light blue paint under the black. It is about a 7” share. Planning to make a slot hitch adapter for it to put on Comanche one of these days. Plow #2 and 5 are the old style “straight beam” Brinly’s with one hole in the hitch.  The two middle are standard 10” Brinly’s and of course the 12” Punisher on the end. The only other plow missing from this group that is at my uncles is my old style Cat 0 that I call “the Monster”.  Still don’t have a tractor set up for that one yet...one of these days.

B4965742-80AD-439A-8972-2FB550A0D986.jpeg.c2ede4a6c253fe277fd8a921d62e6b63.jpeg

Some of these plows were used last week and some haven’t been in the ground in years, possibly decades...

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JoeliusZ28

Does anyone have a picture of how the wheel horse style sleeve hitch plows attach?  (as opposed to the brinly style hitch?) Found one local to me but I'm not sure how they connect and lift with the draw bar I can't seem to find any pictures showing the attachment.  

Edit: maybe slot hitch is the correct term.  Where can i find one?

Edited by JoeliusZ28

PeacemakerJack

The slot hitch plows have a tongue on the attachment end, it goes in the slot hitch commonly found on the Wheel Horse tractors that looks like this...

71E7CEE3-1965-452F-A4E4-7BE67215A5ED.jpeg.5d618dada86f6abccc5bf122d817a908.jpeg

You can see the hitch pin in this picture in the middle of the slot hitch. Pull that pin and slide the tongue of the plow in and re insert the pin through hitch and plow.

In order to use a slot hitch plow, you must have a hitch that looks like this or an adapter that looks like this. 

9F12B2E9-B794-438C-AD4B-44E63218AF8C.jpeg.c2058b49e292d08e984df1525b397738.jpeg

when connected, you end up with this!  

What type of wheel horse are you looking to put a plow on?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeliusZ28

Thank you!  OK i found some on ebay. :handgestures-thumbupright: