PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

Stormin
51 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Can’t wait to get a garden going of my own. 

Just wish I had that much ground. With things shut down here, no ploughing for me this year. :(

• Sad 3

WVHillbilly520H

I have gotten the orders from the boss to break ground for a garden this year so pics and possibly a video or 2 to come... First I need to shine up the Brinly like @Achto has his above. Gonna try tiller out on the 315-8 this go round so stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Got at it this evening with the "paint and rust" strippers on the moldboard of my $50 Brinly (not as shiny as Dan's) and a $35 set of front wheel weights and some self etching primer, next some paint on the weights and installed on the 315. 

20200324_161344.jpg

20200324_170841.jpg

20200324_170849.jpg

20200324_164238.jpg

• Excellent 6

WHX??

Take a flap wheel on the  4 inch to it Billy then work it! Need I tell you to grease it down afterwards? Something looks fishy the way those share bolts are drawn or is just the pics?... Sounds like you had a nice score tho? :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Take a flap wheel on the  4 inch to it Billy then work it! Need I tell you to grease it down afterwards? Something looks fishy the way those share bolts are drawn or is just the pics?... Sounds like you had a nice score tho? :handgestures-thumbupright:

What grit do you recommend?    As you can see in the 1st pic it was only used a few times then put up without cleaning/oiling so grease or as my dad used to do on the old Allis Chalmers afterwards was burnt motor oil.    Yes those bolts are drawn bit deep I suppose I could go buy some new ones. I basically cleaned up all the rusted metal and peeling paint till I get going turning earth.

Achto
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

What grit do you recommend?

120 grit would work to shine it up. A Scotchbrite pad a on a grinder also works really well to knock the rust off of the share. The final shine on mine came from a few 1/4 mile long passes in some clay/loam mix soil. It's not often that I get to plow in such soil & end up with an almost chrome appearance on the plow, but it sure looks cool when it happens.:) Around home sandy soil is more of the norm, sand still puts a shine on but the share will have little more of a dull finish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Andy N.

Thanks to the unexpected staycation (going on week 2), I was able to complete a couple major indoor projects that we wanted to get done (master bathroom and main bathroom renovations). However, today I had enough of the inside work and needed to get out and do something with the WH's. I removed the front blade from the 418-A and put on a Brinly plow that came with the 520-H donor tractor that I picked up last fall. It was a little wet, but I decided to plow the garden anyway. Here's a pic and a little slow motion garden plowing drive by. 

IMG_0242.JPG

• Like 5

Pullstart

Any input as to whether these tires would be any good weighted down and pullin’ a plow?

They’re Carlisle and have been cut for pulling.

8D09AC4F-B467-41DF-9F01-E4B5ED3C6438.jpeg

A8E678BB-C97E-45D6-B8FE-E2934DFB5422.jpeg

• Like 1

Razorback

I think those would be OK, but I get the best bang for the buck by putting chains on turf tires, or you can even put the chains on the bar tires.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

These are for sale locally, cheaper on rims than I can buy a set of Deestones for.  I’d rather support local than overseas in this time of need if I can help it.

• Like 5

Achto
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Any input as to whether these tires would be any good weighted down and pullin’ a plow?

I would think that those would work out good Kevin. The sharper lugs should give a good bite in the field.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

I agree with Dan.  If you look closely at the tires I have on GhostRider, they are about the same as those.  I haven’t had any complaints with them concerning traction.  If those are a good price Kevin...go for it!  We love those AG’s on our GT’s😁

F8C73600-3381-4B14-947A-4F17B7CB51C4.jpeg.bfdf010c82de28be3b648749b9d15d81.jpeg

948E11F3-4C86-43C2-BEEA-6D8EED36E113.jpeg.4b2d97a8bd5c466cf8b9e778ba55c323.jpeg

“I never met a set of AG’s I didn’t like!”—😆

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I never met a set of AG’s I didn’t like!”—😆

That’s one for the history books!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I would get those if the price is right Kev. Loaded or with weights they'll work fine last a long time. Check the offset on those rims tho looks awfully deep …. IDK might just be the pic. 

Cool vid @Andy N. :handgestures-thumbupright: ….you just scored yourself an invite to plow day! 

Hey Dan is that yer wallet layin  ther in Jack's pic??? :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Pullstart
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I would get those if the price is right Kev. Loaded or with weights they'll work fine last a long time. Check the offset on those rims tho looks awfully deep …. IDK might just be the pic. 

Cool vid @Andy N. :handgestures-thumbupright: ….you just scored yourself an invite to plow day! 

Hey Dan is that yer wallet layin  ther in Jack's pic??? :lol:

They are centered.  He said that’s their preference for pulling.  Asking price is 120 obo.  Think 100’s out of line?

roadapples

You may need spacers with that back set...

WHX??

That's what i was thinkin too Jay...Problem ther is spacers may stuff the tire out of the furrow??? Especially as wide as they look.

No way Kev... 100 is a smokin deal with rims. If they pulled on a track they'll pull a plow. Even if you have to peel them off and on other rims still  a good deal. If they fit with no interference might be good to go as is. 

Edited by WHX24

WHX??

Maybe time to think outside the box here Kev... use one of those tires on the land side and weight the snot out of it. Use something narrower on the furrow side? Might work best with a 5060 or any LS tranny??? What say ye Jack or am I on crack?

Achto
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

They are centered.  He said that’s their preference for pulling

Pullers want the back end of the tractor narrowed up, this helps to keep the diff from unloading on one side or the other. It also makes it easier to keep the tractor in a straight line. For the money I would pick them up, peel the tires off of those rims & put them on some :wh: rims with the correct off set. Weight them down & run 'em.

:confusion-confused:If you don't have some extra rims laying around, you are capable enough to drill the spot welds out that hold the centers in those rims and move them so that the off set is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

A few days back I found a video of a guy using concrete, a bucket, garbage bag, coffee can, four bolts with backer nuts and jam nuts and some cardboard to make Wheel weights cast into the wheel.

If those wheels were used as outers for a dually setup... that means more concrete!  I could use threaded rod and more backer nuts / jam nuts to mount the dually rims.

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I could use threaded rod and more backer nuts / jam nuts to mount the dually rims

Sound like it would work to me.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

roadapples
18 hours ago, WHX24 said:

That's what i was thinkin too Jay...Problem ther is spacers may stuff the tire out of the furrow??? Especially as wide as they look.

No way Kev... 100 is a smokin deal with rims. If they pulled on a track they'll pull a plow. Even if you have to peel them off and on other rims still  a good deal. If they fit with no interference might be good to go as is. 

The right size spacers would make the off set right...

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, @WHX24, @Achto, @pullstart, think this will do as a start of plowing season? Josh for you a couple things, my last weight hanger and arm rests. Jim and Dan hope the plow is shiny 'nuff now, Kevin see there aren't no junk 520s :P... Rollin' sod and dirt to come later.

20200327_125358.jpg

20200327_125409.jpg

20200327_125628_HDR.jpg

20200327_125610.jpg

20200327_125628_HDR.jpg

20200327_125816.jpg

20200327_125823.jpg

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I was thinking I need to get that new GoPro out in the field to prep a spot for some soil turnage and maybe some digging Jeff!

• Excellent 1

Achto
57 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Jim and Dan hope the plow is shiny 'nuff now,

Looks like a right awesome rig Jeff. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I'm diggin' the weight bar on the front, that should keep 'er from bucking on you. The mold board & share look great, they should scour off real nice in the dirt. Looking forward to seeing everything in action.

• Thanks 1