PeacemakerJack

Let’s Go Plowing—rolling Dirt!

Achto
52 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Should it only go on the land side tire, and could I get away with fluid filling my tires and calling that good?

Instead of fluid, which is kind of permanent weight. Why not make a set of wheel weights out of some old brake drums filled with concrete? Paint them up before installing & they should look pretty good. When you are not plowing you can pop them off and put the wheel covers back on. This will also save on weight when you are just headed to a show with it. For front weight I would suggest making a bolt on weight out of some heavy scrap metal.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Achto said:

Instead of fluid, which is kind of permanent weight. Why not make a set of wheel weights out of some old brake drums filled with concrete? Paint them up before installing & they should look pretty good. When you are not plowing you can pop them off and put the wheel covers back on. This will also save on weight when you are just headed to a show with it. For front weight I would suggest making a bolt on weight out of some heavy scrap metal.

Do I see weight used mainly on the land side, or is that all that sticks out?  I have a diesel flywheel from another recent project!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

...have a diesel flywheel from another recent project!

Kevin—I love your sense of humor! It really cracks me up:ROTF:

I definitely would recommend a little more on the land side wheel.  On GhostRider I have about 150# on the land side wheel and about 75# on the furrow wheel.  That’s how I run it anyway...hopefully @Shynonand @prondzy Check in with their thoughts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Achto said:

For front weight I would suggest making a bolt on weight out of some heavy scrap metal

Any chance I could see pics of that or get more info?

How do they bolt on?

What size/weight are they?

I've been looking into adding front weights to a couple in our woods fleet.

Thanks guys....

WHX??

My type of soil you would be fine to run what you brung. Heck I plowed the garden once with a Suburban and diamond treads with no weights just for the halibut and it did great. Granted it was just a light eight.

I wouldn't bother loading those street tires and also not a fan of chains in the dirt. They would plug up if things got wet.

I have got a extra set of ags on 953 rims we could bolt up if things got dicey.

Also my place you don't need a land wheel once,we got it dialed in. 

Coulter are general no needed either. 

20161029_130002.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I have a diesel flywheel from another recent project!

I would think that it would make a great weight.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Any chance I could see pics of that or get more info?

How do they bolt on?

What size/weight are they?

This is what I built for my plow tractor.

IMG_20180318_172821334-min.jpg.48e2d2eb08dac5a0e39172b8dbc42a8e.jpg

It weights 50lbs

IMG_20180318_173316789-min.jpg.f00072f582ce95389238afc1c7bc2542.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rp.wh

I have done this 3 year in a row it's a blast!!! And like always great good and friends and plenty to plow. Couple pic from last year :D

IMG_20181020_163700002_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181020_162611250.jpg

IMG_20181020_145517466.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

roadapples

Musta' had a laser on that lead tractor to get the rows that straight :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

Well, Jim told me that he’s planning for 10-19 weather and farmer permitting.  That happens to be the only weekend in October we don’t have prior plans for... so we’ll figure something out!  :dance:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

I found some heavy stuff...  the flywheel and the lathe chuck would be cool, the drums fit in the wheel and would be practical and even allow the hub caps to remain, and the big 1/2” plates would about cover the wheels and tires!

631B6EF2-5711-450F-958C-C92BBB3074A4.jpeg

8218862B-9541-4F11-8C96-0948F5AF1970.jpeg

• Like 3

Tractorhead
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I found some heavy stuff...  the flywheel and the lathe chuck would be cool, the drums fit in the wheel and would be practical and even allow the hub caps to remain, and the big 1/2” plates would about cover the wheels and tires!

631B6EF2-5711-450F-958C-C92BBB3074A4.jpeg

8218862B-9541-4F11-8C96-0948F5AF1970.jpeg

Sounds interesting.

i imagine, that the Brakedrums welded together with the Plates and filled with concrete..

before 2 or better 4 longer threads in and you be able to screw them outside the rims.

shall be working.. and be usable wheelweights for nearly nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat: 

1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I found some heavy stuff...  the flywheel and the lathe chuck would be cool, the drums fit in the wheel and would be practical and even allow the hub caps to remain

Set the brake drums up with studs welded to the back for easy install & removal, fill them full of concrete and you'll have a cheap set of wheel weights. That lathe chuck has to weigh a bit, I think that it would look pretty cool hanging off of the front.

Will the wheel weights off of that Sears fit on Hot Wheels any where? Or is the bolt pattern wrong? 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat: 

Set the brake drums up with studs welded to the back for easy install & removal, fill them full of concrete and you'll have a cheap set of wheel weights. That lathe chuck has to weigh a bit, I think that it would look pretty cool hanging off of the front.

Will the wheel weights off of that Sears fit on Hot Wheels any where? Or is the bolt pattern wrong? 

Good point about the hanging weight, I’ll see what Imcan come up with there!  The Sears weights fit a 12” Wheel, maybe I could make the drums into an adapter between the truck wheels and the GT weights’ bolt pattern!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I found this in the videos section of @C-101plowerpower Koen running the plow.  Is the un-used blade similar to a coulter wheel?  When is it necessary to use a coulter or this type of blade?  Only plowing virgin soil?  Not really at all with a 4 wheeled tractor?

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Is the un-used blade similar to a coulter wheel?  When is it necessary to use a coulter or this type of blade?  Only plowing virgin soil?  Not really at all with a 4 wheeled tractor?

I can't say that I've ever saw a blade like that in use, not really sure of its purpose.

The purpose of a coulter wheel is to cut through trash (corn stalks, wheat or oat stalks, sod etc) to give a cleaner cut & help prevent the plow from plugging. I've found that on a GT plow with a coulter wheel that they seem to plug up more often. This is not true in all cases though. I may start with a coulter and then opp to take it off if the plow is plugging up frequently. I have also heard of cases where the ground was partially frozen, that the coulter would prevent the plow from sucking into the ground. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

WHX??

I seldom run the coulter. At my plow daze the type of soil and beans coming off a coulter is just not needed.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I found this in the videos section of @C-101plowerpower Koen running the plow.  Is the un-used blade similar to a coulter wheel?  When is it necessary to use a coulter or this type of blade?  Only plowing virgin soil?  Not really at all with a 4 wheeled tractor?

the unused blade where the coulter usually sits? normally these are used on bigger plows in combination with the coulter to roll under manure and stubble. on these little plows they dont do anything other than scratching the surface and cause a build up of stuff thats otherwise plowed under. my plow came with some sort of coulter replacement welded to the plow shear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

the unused blade where the coulter usually sits? normally these are used on bigger plows in combination with the coulter to roll under manure and stubble. on these little plows they dont do anything other than scratching the surface and cause a build up of stuff thats otherwise plowed under. my plow came with some sort of coulter replacement welded to the plow shear

Good to hear from you, Koen!  It looks like you’ve been busy with your car adventures!

C-101plowerpower
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Good to hear from you, Koen!  It looks like you’ve been busy with your car adventures!

have been quite busy with all the car related stuff and havent been doing much with the horse of lately, but im getting back into the swing of things

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Got to do some plowing this weekend!  The field conditions weren't great as in we could've used about an inch of rain at the beginning of the week to soak in and loosen up the clay a little bit but we still found a section of field that worked pretty well.  I've included this video of my buddy Nate plowing on dad's Clyde and it is pretty crazy.  It is probably one of the worst videos that I've shot in awhile because I practically had to run to keep up with him.  I'm still amazed at how well that 10hp motor handles the plow and the tough soil.  Those 953/1054's make awesome plow rigs when setup right.  Keep an eye out in the background for the Vintage full size tractors plowing across the field...

The hydraulic lift is awesome and the upright seating position is comfortable for longer stints in the saddle.  Who can argue with the saaaaweet big tractor look?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7
  • Heart 1

Stormin

I got myself a Brinly 10" plough/plow a while back. Made a hitch to fit the Black Horses slot hitch.. Thanks to Squonk for sending me the measurements.

Tried it out a couple of weeks back. Did three decent furrows then the lift linkage broke. Went back to a manual lift early this year, as the electric lift was to slow.

Looks like this now, though the plough, due to the broken lift, is cocked up to clear the ground.

P1010161.JPG.f08c0121bc999fd676669cf5cbdd69e8.JPG

• Like 2

Pullstart

For record keeping here, I attempt to do some plowing with Hot Wheels yesterday!  I think the ground was too hard to get a great furrow, but it was decent at least!  The share? (back tail piece) was sticking way up, which tells me it could have dug deeper, but it just wouldn’t dig much.  I settled with the fact that I wasn’t getting any deeper and started to adjust the plow so the share was closer to the ground.  Once Hot Wheels started acting up a bit, I decided another day would be alright... but improvements were made along the way!

536912BF-0CEC-476B-961D-FE28EE2ADD41.jpeg

5D394C2A-DF2E-48C1-86D1-956A84B25FEB.jpeg

EB3E3633-A60B-4F51-A46E-598D3BEFC506.jpeg

40CC7192-9E69-4220-A0CC-CF90EDB578DC.jpeg

405D78B1-5932-49E8-8189-B75A3F109341.jpeg

42AA5FE5-7CC5-4827-AB4C-183232DD7BD9.jpeg

ED9366A8-738E-41DC-951B-615D46E520C0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Ya you need to come to plow daze and get educated! Looks like your angles were not quite set up with the rear end, properly called the land slide,  up like that. With well rooted grass/weeds like that it might have been best to use a coulter but a application of round up a couple of weeks ahead might have been preferably. Was the share nice and shiny? Looks like the furrows weren't rolling as should but real tough to do in that kind of soil with out a good setup. Looks like ya got seat time anyway! :lol: 

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

a nice shiney plow shear will help alot, looks like the plow is rolled to much towards the land side, ie set up for a deeper furrow and thus more angle on the tractor. once you've fixed that the plows heel, the sticky out bit should be prettymuch flat with the ground. even in hard soil it should work

• Excellent 1