troutbum70

brake band

troutbum70

I just had to replace the brake band on my 1985 417 8 speed, can you believe the cost was all but $ 90.00 dollars is that crazy or what. I should have bought a new one in 85 when I bought the tractor and kept it in the parts bin. 

N3PUY

I relined mine with a piece if leather!

JAinVA

If the metal part of the brake band was good you could have relined it.There is a vendor vender that sells the friction lining.I restore old two cylinder JD crawlers and the replacement brake bands are almost $300.00 per side.I reline each side for less than $30.00 each.Easy to do once you get the rivet tool.

• Like 1

troutbum70

I was not aware that one could get the material to reline, I should have posted before buying the new one. Oh well if I can get another 33 years out of this one I will be 96 years old and unable to get it off let alone reline it hi hi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

troutbum70

How did you bond the leather to the metal? By the way n3puy DE n3fvp

N3PUY
9 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

How did you bond the leather to the metal? By the way n3puy DE n3fvp

JB Weld and clamped it to the brake drum to dry. 

Edited by N3PUY

troutbum70

Correction I would 99 years young in 33 years. How did bonding it to the drum work out?

troutbum70

Sorry not my software this guy is all but computer illiterate I still log the old fashion way with pencil and paper hi hi. I only have a couple newer radios and I programed manually.

953 nut
4 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

How did bonding it to the drum work out?

I think he meant that the brake drum was used as a mold for the shoe to conform to while gluing it to the band. I have used silicon adhesive to attach @rmaynard break linings and found it worked well. I too use an old drum as a mold while gluing to the break band.

N3PUY
9 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Correction I would 99 years young in 33 years. How did bonding it to the drum work out?

I didn't bond it to the brake drum.... I clamped it around a brake drum so that it had the correct curve.  And the leather really stops the tractor!  Tires slide!

7 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Sorry not my software this guy is all but computer illiterate I still log the old fashion way with pencil and paper hi hi. I only have a couple newer radios and I programed manually.

Yeah…. I noticed one different letter in the callsign as I hit the send button!   (look twice, send once!)  I only have my 1st radio TS450S and a TH7DX.

troutbum70

Sri I miss read ur post I did actually think of trying leather but thought it would not last long. But a new piece of leather each year would be way cheaper, may just try it with old band.

JAinVA

It may be a little late for your situation but maybe some of the other members here will see this thread and give rmaynard a try.If you own an old WH then you can't be afraid to work on them.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

troutbum70

Yes absolutely I hope someone else may benefit from my post, I wish I would have asked before I bought. 

• Like 3

N3PUY

I got the leather at Goodwill.  Found an old , thick leather belt. 

• Like 1

troutbum70

That worked well it was already the correct width probably, I have some rubber belting about the same thickness that may work as well. I was just out by you a couple weeks ago spent about 3 hours in Grices gun shop, had to wear a bib the whole time hi hi.

N3PUY
11 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I was just out by you a couple weeks ago spent about 3 hours in Grices gun shop, had to wear a bib the whole time hi hi.

I see Grice Gun Shop every day.  I work right around the corner.  We lease a building from them.

953 nut
12 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I have some rubber belting about the same thickness that may work as well.

Lots of products could be used for brake lining but what is their coefficient of friction and how durable are they? When the inevitable happens and they fail to perform properly where will you be and what will you run into?

The material @rmaynard uses is made for the job and works well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

troutbum70
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Lots of products could be used for brake lining but what is their coefficient of friction and how durable are they? When the inevitable happens and they fail to perform properly where will you be and what will you run into?

The material @rmaynard uses is made for the job and works well.

My property is mostly side hill so having a brake is necessary component, having it fail is not an option. 

• Thanks 1

troutbum70
56 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

I see Grice Gun Shop every day.  I work right around the corner.  We lease a building from them.

It is a very nice shop well stocked, it was my first time in the store. I used to go by there once a week delivering fiberglass insulation to the building center in Curwensville, but when your over 70 feet long its hard to find a parking spot. My tractor had a 240 inch wheelbase so it did not park well there either.