Westie

Hi, new Yorkshire member

Westie

Hi I'm Rob from Huddersfield and I've just got myself what I believe is a B81 4 speed with the 8hp vertical briggs.

Hoping to get it up to scratch and put it to work then get myself another for pulling and shows.

Got some bits to do on this first though.

20180901_111112.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Looks like you will need another tractor - your first one is already taken by the driver!!!

Westie

That's Ada and I hope to find a tiny one for her before too long :)

Edited by Westie
  • Like 2

Stormin

:WRS: Rob. Tidy looking tractor and deck. You'll have to get yourself to Newby Hall, Ripon, next year.

Westie

Thanks stormin, would it be welcome being of the stamped frame and vertical flavour?

Just trying to sort the carb, terrified of knacking the jets there in so tight.

It won't start or idle without throttle so I think the jets blocked. Need to get rid of this auto choke too

953 nut
4 hours ago, Westie said:

That's Ada and I hope to find a tiny one for her before too long :)

:WRS:

That is the way to do it, start them out right at a young age and you will have a lot of father daughter memories for the future.

:text-coolphotos:

• Thanks 1

meadowfield

Glad you made it Rob! If it has a wheelhorse badge it's welcome at Newby... if it doesn't it still is!

• Like 1

Westie

Thanks for the heads up about the forum meadowfield mate. Good grief you've got some tractors! In that case then why not, it's only up the road and I tried to get up there this year just for a look around anyway.

meadowfield

I might just know where you can get some shiny B-81 decals too...  :D

• Like 1

Westie

That would be great! I can't find any online. 

Can I ask you meadowfield, what's the best common enough horse for smallholding work in the UK?

I seem to have landed on the 8 speed c160.

My dad's retired and we seem to have settled on he wants to restore a tractor for me but I'm paying. 

I want to drag timber,  plough, push snow (what little we have) and pull a trailer ect.  I know the D series are good workhorses too but are they more expensive to fix

meadowfield

you can find me and decals by following the link at the bottom of this page. 

Best horse for reliability and parts is probably a later C series. i.e. C-101/121 or maybe a C-105/165... some people don't like the later black hoods, so they can be a little cheaper.

My reason for a later C is age, it should have fewer hours and been left out less in the rain!

Re; engine size, a 10hp is pretty powerful - you would only really need 16hp if you are chugging through long grass or running a rotavator. They really do use a lot of fuel when you work them hard and gas in the UK isn't like US prices!!!  We pay around $5.50 for a US gallon, a UK gallon is $7...

My C-101 pushes snow/dirt, pulls trailers, etc and rarely bogs down.

Whilst I like hydros, I would stay clear unless you can get one with proof it has been well maintained - otherwise they can be a pain and expensive to sort.

mark

Westie

Ah thanks I'll get some ordered.

Thanks that's just the Info I needed mate, can the hoods be swapped for the earlier style so best of both worlds?

I see people on YouTube doing all sorts with them and I want a bit of it lol. Especially when I see them ploughing and logging! How's the 4 speed if I can't find an 8?

Stormin

I wouldn't bother with a 4sp. The low range on an 8 is very handy. I doubt the hoods can be changed. Not without some mods anyway.

I've a Black Hood. '82 C-125 12hp 8sp. First WH I got, had it about 7yrs now. Only thing I've done is fit a new head gasket. Used mainly for mowing the green and verges where I live. As Mark says they can be cheaper. Got mine for £70 but you'll not get another at that price.

Westie

Good God £70 I bet you were grinning for a while off the back of that lol.

I've found a post on junkies where a bloke converted to a red square hood but I really don't mind the black anyway really.

Well I've got eBay searches saved so I guess I will just wait while I play with this b21 :) I was planning on stripping and painting it but I'm going to save the effort for my next one and just tidy up and use this one. Gunk and a pressure washer

meadowfield

we've swapped a few around, it's just the casting on the top of the hoodstand and hood that need to swap. I think everything else stays the same - well you can swap the rear fender too if you want it all to match!

• Like 1

Westie

Food for thought thanks.

I cleaned the carb the other day as it wouldn't run at anything but no choke and half throttle. 

It runs fine now if not a tad rich but my needle looks like this.

Is it worth my while changing it? Briggs 8hp

20180902_104950.jpg

20180902_104946.jpg

leachy

does anyone have PN of a  belt for a 3 blade deck on a Toro518H wheel horse. It looks to be about 85" LENGTH.  Or advise where I can get one?

Edited by leachy

gwest_ca
3 hours ago, leachy said:

does anyone have PN of a  belt for a 3 blade deck on a Toro518H wheel horse. It looks to be about 85" LENGTH.  Or advise where I can get one?

Mower decks are sized by their width of cut - not the width of the deck.

The mower belts are specific to the mower deck not the tractor so the other requirement to determine belts is side or rear discharge?

Don't see a deck with an 85" belt for the spindles or drive from the engine.

36" side or rear discharge

42" side or rear discharge

48" side discharge

Garry