J HO

520 H starts and runs for about 10 minutes then stops and has no spark

J HO

Hi Guys,

I have a 1989 520-H with an Onan engine. It starts and runs for about 10 minutes. Then shuts off like I turned the key. After is shuts off it won't start for about an hour and has no spark. I'm thinking it has something to do with heat however, I'm not getting a temp light. 

Any help will be appreciated.

WHX??

Most likely the coil is get hot and then open however it could be in the ignition trigger module. The manual below also has other trouble shooting tests.

492-4006 Onan P216 P218 P220 P224 SM.pdf

J HO

Thanks for the manual. I will investigate. I just didn't realize that it would actually run for a while if it was the trigger or coil. I thought if the coil or trigger went it wouldn't start at all?

WHX??

They have been known to run fine when cold but once they warm up they expand and open up electrically. Components cool off then work until warmed up. Might want to check safety switches as well, here is a manual that will help with that.

BMW Phil

My '96 520 behaved this way. I replaced the trigger and its all good- found a cheap replacement on ebay.

J HO

THANKS guys

I found a new coil and condenser kit for $50 I should come in the mail today. And it's easy to replace. If this doesn't work I will have to replace the trigger. Is there a trick to get the flywheel off? My gear pullers aren't big enough.

lynnmor
3 minutes ago, J HO said:

THANKS guys

I found a new coil and condenser kit for $50 I should come in the mail today. And it's easy to replace. If this doesn't work I will have to replace the trigger. Is there a trick to get the flywheel off? My gear pullers aren't big enough.

I made a simple puller by using a 1/2" thick steel plate.  Drilled the four holes for the flywheel and a threaded 1/-20 hole in the center.

J HO

Thanks. I will try that if this doesn't work.

J HO

Well the coil and condenser didn't change anything. I just ordered a new Trigger.

Thank again guys

• Sad 1

J HO

has anyone tried using the PerTronix Ignitor in replace of 166-0785 166-0767?

PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1281

pnx-1281_at_xl.jpg?rep=False