Deadguy

K341 wants to go too fast

Deadguy

What would cause a K341 to run at full speed+ even with the throttle completely closed? I took off the air cleaner cover and looked down the intake to make sure the throttle plate was closed, and it is.  Any ideas?

WHX??

Gotta be carb issues Paul...other wise I would have said Walker issues if you would reported the throttle plate not COMPLETLY closed. Very possible throttle cable issues? 

• Like 1

Deadguy

Throttle cable is fine, like I said, the throttle is closed, the governor is holding it closed, even the throttle stop screw is turned out so far that it isn’t even touching the throttle assembly.  The engine just screams!

oldredrider

Your governor is not set properly. A K series will NOT run wide open with the throttle plate closed.

I suggest you reset the the governor properly according to the Kohler manual.

Also check the rev limiter for correct positioning.

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 2

WHX??

I would guess you have the adjustment screws in and the idle stop screw backed out? Does the throttle plate rest back on the idle adjust screw? Chek the screws on the throtlle plate screws on the throttle shaft.

• Like 1

Deadguy

The governor is holding the throttle plate closed.  Isn’t that what it is supposed to do?  Is there another something that the governor operates?

Deadguy
1 minute ago, WHX20 said:

I would guess you have the adjustment screws in and the idle stop screw backed out? Does the throttle plate rest back on the idle adjust screw? Chek the screws on the throtlle plate screws on the throttle shaft.

Ok, I get it.  Loose throttle plate screws would allow the plate to wobble open a bit when the engine runs, even if the throttle is fully closed.  I will check this when I am able to pull the carb off.  Thanks!

lobo

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would say that your governor gear is broke. My C-161 did the same thing and that is what it was.  Sorry.

Deadguy
1 hour ago, lobo said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would say that your governor gear is broke. My C-161 did the same thing and that is what it was.  Sorry.

How can the governor have any effect on the engine speed when the throttle is being held closed?

WHX??

That was gonna be my next question ... does it run away with the throttle held closed? If so gotta be in the carb.

cleat

If the throttle is fully closed and the engine screams, then either the plate has fallen off (you should be able to look down through the carb and verify this) or you have a major air leak somewhere.

Are you sure the throttle stays closed when the engine starts and the governor is not pulling it open ?

• Like 1

Deadguy

Yes, I am sure the throttle is closed when it is running.  I opened the hood and stood over the carb. I even tried opening the throttle by hand (and you should have heard it scream then! And yes the governor slammed the throttle shut when I let go of the throttle linkage)  I will pull the carb and check the throttle plate after I get home.  

Deadguy

Ok, so here is the problem.  The throttle shaft screws are tight, but the throttle plate still moves somewhat independently of the throttle shaft.  When the throttle shaft is in the closed position, the plate will still rotate to nearly into the full throttle position.  

• Confused 2

Deadguy

Ok! So the shaft and plate were rotating independently of the nubby part where the governor linkage attaches.  I put a tach weld on where the nub assembly attaches to the shaft, so those parts work together now.  Once I get the carb back on, I’ll try it out.

• Like 1

Deadguy

Ok, seems to be good now! Thanks guys!

• Thanks 1

WHX??

I dunno Paul.. I would be real tempted to hop on flea bay and get a cheapy. ..I wouldn't want loose stuff going in my motor ...just sayin. 

Deadguy

There’s nothing in danger of falling into the carb, nothing inside it is loose.  The C-shaped bracket with the nubby on top just somehow worked loose from the shaft, allowing the shaft to spin independently of the nubby bracket.  Now that I added the tack weld, they are both rotating together again, and the tractor is running great.  By the way, who’s Paul?

cleat

Glad you have it fixed.

Good to find the actual cause and yours was an easy fix.

I had a k341 do that and the governor was broken, not so easy.

Cleat

WHX??
10 hours ago, Deadguy said:

By the way, who’s Paul

Sorry...I suck with names :lol: must be a CRS age thing. Call me anything you want just don't call me late for supper! :)

Glad to hear you got it fixed

Edited by WHX20