RJ Hamner

Has Anyone Ever Seen or Know a Reason For This??

RJ Hamner

I was breaking down the engine getting it ready to go to the machine shop. Everything was pretty normal until it tried to remove the PTO race and the engine pulley.  As I was setting up the "puller" I noticed the end of the crankshaft looked different but never gave it much thought.  After a half a can of PB Blaster,destroying the engine pulley and turning the air in the shop blue I was able to get the crankshaft free.  There was a LOT of baked on crud and grease and I thought that was the problem.  Cleaned everything up and found the race would not slide on the crankshaft???  Got out the measuring tools and found the answer.  The end of the crankshaft was expanded will past the 1.125".

I had another crankshaft so I looked at the PTO end.  It almost looks like someone bored the end and inserted some kind of tapered shaft and/or beat the heck out of the end and swelled the last 1/2"-3/4" of the crankshaft.

Can anyone think of a reason???

DSC_0791.JPG

Achto
57 minutes ago, RJ Hamner said:

beat the heck out of the end and swelled the last 1/2"-3/4" of the crankshaft.

This would be my guess. This can happen when a puller with a cone shaped end on the screw is used. Specially if tension on the puller is followed by hammering the end of the puller.  

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

ol550

:think: :text-yeahthat:

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

This would be my guess

:text-yeahthat:Mushrooming is the correct term. Don't ask me how I know :hide: Most of my 'rooming work has been on small 1/2" electric motor shafts although I could see it happening with brown welded steering wheels & hubs. Perhaps the machine shop can take it back down a few .001s

Edited by WHX20

Short Circuit

It looks like a bolt broken off flush with the end of the crankshaft. As far as the ring of deformation goes, it does look like a wheel puller damage. Just my thoughts...

pfrederi
37 minutes ago, Short Circuit said:

It looks like a bolt broken off flush with the end of the crankshaft. As far as the ring of deformation goes, it does look like a wheel puller damage. Just my thoughts...

:text-yeahthat:

Most all crankshafts were drilled and taped for a bolt.  Your bolt head is gone just the shaft remains and it was damaged by a puller

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Maxwell-8
      By Maxwell-8
      So yesterday I picked-up a C175. She was rusting away as she was stored outside. She had a new to her Kohler K341. @squonk The previous owner indeed better had"LET AN ELECTRICIAN      CHECK his  SHORTS!"  as bad wiring shorted the battery out, and exploded/melted. She has a Sundstrand hydro pump with a Filter, is that normal? By the pump I believe it's a 1980. But you never now for sure as it's made in Oevel. Due to the bad wiring, the engine was in no running condition. But don't think the K341 has many hours on it. The hydro I don't know if it works. She was hard to push. So i lift up one wheel, so we could roll here one one wheel and the diff prevented the trans from locking up.
      So first things to do:
      1) get the engine running
      2) replace the steering wheel, but don't think removing it will be very hard as it's already split in two.
      3) replace the axleseals, the oil leak caused a lot of sandbuild up as she was mainly used on for leveling out a horse track.
      4) clean all the acid and remove all the old wiring to do a full rewiring
      5) replace the plastic seat pan with a metal.
      6)...

I'm looking forward on my first C. 
      It's also my first hydro, I don't know a lot about them and prefer actual gears. Simpler and need less maintenance (parts-shortage). 
      But since I couldn't find another project WH and me hearing a lot of good things about hydro's  on the forum..  I finally took the shot.  

• Bill D
      By Bill D
      I bought this K341 and was wondering what it came on originally.  It's a 13 fin block and has been bored .020 over already.  It has a Kohler carb which may not be original.  Bill

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      Rebuilding a C160. everything worked prior to rebuild
      Engine was fairly high time so machined .020 over and rebuilt
      Finished rewiring and made sure all the circuits were in order
      Starter would spin the engine. Made new coil wire and installed new spark plug
      Starter won't turn the engine. Tried several times with and without spark plug Same results
      Starter was what I took off the tractor prior to rebuild but can't say it is orininal
      So.......Am I missing something or is a new starter going to be the answer?????
      Thoughts?  Ideas?
      All help/input appreciated
      BTW:  Don't know if it means anything but the gear does not retract when key is moved back to ON

Bob
    • UK321
      By UK321
      Hi everyone,
      Great to find a forum dedicated to my favourite tractor.

I have three at the moment and one I've just acquired is a C125 fitted with a K321 engine. I bought it as a known non runner and found that the conrod had disintegrated.  I wanted to get it re-bored so, fancying a little more power than my last C125 I had it bored out to 3.5 inches and duly bought a rebuild kit from the US for a standard K341.  My questions are:

If I use the crankshaft from the K321 do I need to get it re-balanced?  It's in good shape though I would get it ground.
      If I don't get it balanced and, bearing in mind it is for mowing so is hardly ever idling, will it shake it to nits? and, finally
      Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a half decent crank from a K341 that might be bought?

Thank to all.
      Martin
    • andrewLL
      By andrewLL
      Hi, and a happy Christmas to all.
      Looking for some advice here, a couple of years ago a bought a cheap K341AS on fleebay, the chap I bought it from said it would not run right and I think he mentioned breathing fire from the carb.  He replaced it on his black hood Wheelhorse with a ‘Chonda’ engine. Since then it has sat at the back of my garage but another recent fleebay purchase was a black hood C105 with new engine.  So time to do something, but not tomorrow! Turkey, but no sprouts is the order of the day.

I thought as a start I should sort the engine out, but can’t easily test it until it can be mounted on the tractor.  I have started to strip it down and the oil is quite clean so hopefully it was looked after.  Now for a few questions:-

The engine is painted grey but normally Wheelhorse have a red engine, could this be a rebuilt engine?, I guess the tractor it came off was mid 80’s so a possibility.

When I took the head off it was all quite clean and only took a light brushing and some carb cleaner sprayed on to clean it up.  However the top of the piston is stamped with .003 and the block with +3.  What does this mean, I thought oversized pistons were plus ten, twenty and thirty thousandth.  Has this engine been rebored?  

Measuring  the valve gaps they are .013” inlet (.008 - .010”) and .020” out (.017 - .019”) is this enough out of tolerance to cause problems?  If so it should be an easy fix to get it going again.

i am thinking of just buying a cheap replacement carb having had problems with a carb on my Raider (K301) after two rebuild kits it still leaked petrol and a replacement carb sorted it all (apart from stopping when v hot, see another post of mine)

The bore of the cylinder is very clean and no scratches so hopefully no problems there.

What do you think?

i don’t seem able to upload pictures from my iPad, it says only allowed 30.7KB,  what’s going on? How do I sort it?

Andrew