bigcreek

New to the WH obsession

bigcreek

Good afternoon 

I have a new to me, 314-H, crossing a small ditch I broke the front axle down low on the right side where the wheel spindle comes out the bottom. Not fixable ordered and received a replacement. 

Is this a fix I can do remove and replace, or do I need a shop to do this, I would like to try it have a place to do the repair. 

Side note another tractor, 417 - 8 with snowblower has popped up local for 700, it also has the side discharge deck, he is asking 700. I may grab it for the extra attachments 

Thanks 

23F30129-3E2B-4230-84E3-2A6E5CCCDB53.jpeg

2757C2C8-190A-4E41-A42F-F7BA81EE4A1E.jpeg

A2D5CAF1-ABE4-404C-96F6-BA6D376AB532.jpeg

9A9DB3CE-6F4B-4BBC-94E6-F25EAD0C5FA0.jpeg

Edited by bigcreek
Add images
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Should be able to do it yourself but many of us here are well rounded backyard mechanics. We wouldn't be afraid to coach you on it.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Is it the axle that broke? Or the spindle? I've seen lots of spindles break but never an axle.Easy fix as long as you have the parts.

Edited by Pollack Pete

bigcreek

Here are some views of the axle

ive got a used replacement in hand 

be glad for any advise, keep it clean please these old mowers are a father daughter project. She is interested in a trade school. Nice opportunity to fix something and keep em mowing 

Edited by bigcreek
  • Like 1

formariz

First let me welcome you to this forum and as you already realized it, "the  Wheel horse obsession".. Now let me advise you to put your seat belt on because you will be in for the ride of your life as many of us can attest to.

As for your current mechanical problem, it is easy to fix and you should definitely be able to.Any questions or difficulties can be addressed by countless members here who are willing able and always ready to assist. You will not find another group of individuals as capable and knowledgeable as this one here. They will not only help you but also encourage you in learning all about your Wheelhorse and learning how to perform just about every aspect of maintenance and repairs on it.

• Like 3

midpack

I have a 417-8, It should have an electric lift. I like it so much I looked for another electric setup to put on my other machine!

Pollack Pete

Looks like your tie rod is broken too.Ouch……...

bigcreek

I think the tie rod went and the impending toe out put too much pressure on the axle. 

I have ave not ordered the spindle yet 

Skipper

Perhaps the spindle is OK. Check for play on the new axle. It should be a snugish fit. I would recommend changing tierods in both sides. Rod ends are a good, cheap and stronger solution, and real ball joints is the best solution :-)

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: but no problem, see @wheelhorseman for a replacement.

33 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

but never an axle

You have now Pete

24 minutes ago, bigcreek said:

keep it clean please these old mowers are a father daughter project.

Only way we will have it

Are you saying you got a whole new axle? If so replacing it is easier than you may think if you have even just basic hand tools. I would hold off on a spindle although they are readily available. You may not need one.

• Like 4

bigcreek

thanks Jim, I will order new tie rods, if I have to replace one i might as well do both, 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, bigcreek said:

keep it clean please these old mowers are a father daughter project. She is interested in a trade school. Nice opportunity to fix something and keep em mowing

:WRS:

This is a family friendly site and we enthusiastically support the younger generation becoming involved in :wh:.

As others have said a few hand tools will get this job done. The pivot pin that retains the front axle is held in place by one 3/8" bolt (9/16" wrench) The tie rods will require a 1/2" and a 9/16" wrench. That and a couple of jack-stands and you will be in business.

Feel free to post any questions you may have.

This manual should come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

JAinVA

This is one site that you could view with your daughter,wife,mother or grandmother and never have to worry.There is an abundance of knowledge here and these fine folks are always helpful.It looks like you broke the horse's front leg.Good news is that it can be mended and no vet is needed.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 5

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

• Excellent 1

JAinVA

On a more serious note the damage to the front axle and tie rod could have also damaged the fan gear or steering shaft pinion. The steering wheel is attached to a shaft which travels down towards the frame.Check to make sure none of the gear teeth are damaged.You can see the meshing gears with a flash light and no covers need to be removed.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Daron1965

Welcome to the site,  as a fairly new person here,  all I can say is the people on this site are great.  They are ALL very helpful.:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 5

KC9KAS

@bigcreek :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:  !!!!! 

Family involved projects are the Best!!!!

You have come to the right place for help and information. I predict that additional Wheel Horses will be added to your herd! I needed one, now I have 6!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Best site on the internet - no worries about content. Only great people always willing to help!

• Like 4

bigcreek

Good evening gents, I’ve started the rob and replacement of the 314 broken axle. 

Do I need to remove the belt tensioner on the front to get to the pin that holds the axle out? 

Anyone pulled the front axle off? Any thing I should look for ? I’m replacing both tie rods also 

953 nut
2 hours ago, bigcreek said:

Do I need to remove the belt tensioner on the front to get to the pin that holds the axle out?

The front mount of the axle pivot is a part of the mule drive attachment plate so it will need to be removed, not a bad job.