jellyghost

How do you fix a gas tank? And my new purchase...

jellyghost

I went to see this Allis Chalmers for $375.  I love everything about Wheel Horse, but my grandfather was devoted to Allis Chalmers tractors on his farm.  So, I have a soft spot for the name plate.  After going to look at this tractor, I passed on it.  It just wasn't made quite right.  It didn't have the solid simplicity (pun intended) of a Wheel Horse.  The seller is a great guy, and he finally offered to deliver it to me for $270 and my nonworking 10hp Kohler motor.   So it's in my garage.

It has a 1987 16hp cast iron Kohler, and it is the best sounding Kohler I have heard.  When did they quit making cast iron Kohlers?

it has a makeshift gas tank right now, and he gave me the original gas tank that has a significant split.  I can get a picture if necessary.  Is there anyway to repair a plastic tank that has more than a hairline crack?

AC 6.jpg

AC tiller 2.jpg

AC 5.jpg

AC Tiller 1.jpg

AC 4.jpg

AC 3.jpg

AC 2.jpg

AC 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

moe1965

Not sure on plastic tank repairs but red kote fixed a  aluminum one I had. You pore it in the tank and slosh it around worked great.  You could call the manufacture and ask them if it works in plastic.  

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I work in a bodyshop and we have a pretty nice plastic welder that really works. It pushes hot nitrogen through a heated tip so the plastic doesn't get as brittle when you repair it. Also, some plastics just don't repair well. You might find a shop close to you that will do it. I live down south in Harrisonville and work in the bodyshop at Cable Dahmer of KC. If you could get it to me, I would give it a try. 

Randy

• Like 2

Goldnboy

Nice score with all the accessories for that machine, it was only made in 1973 and is a TRUE Allis, not simplicity. I had been debating on that for weeks glad to kept me from doing so, I still favor the parts availability for a horse. Oh there are two more at Mclouth listed  that you may want to check out. 

• Like 2

jellyghost
16 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I work in a bodyshop and we have a pretty nice plastic welder that really works. It pushes hot nitrogen through a heated tip so the plastic doesn't get as brittle when you repair it. Also, some plastics just don't repair well. You might find a shop close to you that will do it. I live down south in Harrisonville and work in the bodyshop at Cable Dahmer of KC. If you could get it to me, I would give it a try. 

Randy

I would like to take you up on this.  I will try to post or send you a picture, and let me know if it is possible.  This would be great.

jellyghost
14 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

Nice score with all the accessories for that machine, it was only made in 1973 and is a TRUE Allis, not simplicity. I had been debating on that for weeks glad to kept me from doing so, I still favor the parts availability for a horse. Oh there are two more at Mclouth listed  that you may want to check out. 

I having been pondering the Mclouth too, but I am not too tempted.  I thought I saw a $250 WH in KC this week, but it disappeared almost immediately.

Edited by jellyghost

ebinmaine
On 8/26/2018 at 10:41 PM, jellyghost said:

16hp cast iron Kohler, and it is the best sounding Kohler I have heard.

Got to agree with that.

My C-160 has a lovely tone.

RandyLittrell
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I would like to take you up on this.  I will try to post or send you a picture, and let me know if it is possible.  This would be great.

I haven't try a fuel tank yet, but I am willing to try! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Randy

DennisThornton

I'd would have bought that in a second! 

jellyghost

Randy, do you think this is too far gone to fix?  I would love a plastic weld fix, but I could imagine trying a sloppy JB weld fix.  I don't know what type of patch to use with the JB weld though.

IMG_0122 (1).JPG

IMG_0123 (1).JPG

Tankman

I believe gone but!

Repaired many “poly” tanks.

Strap the tank to keep the cracks together,  tight.

Slowly, with a soldering iron, melt the pe, the seam will “weld”.

Plastic rod is available. I’ve used plastic strips from milk bottles. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I've "welded" many plastic parts but that looks like a loser!  Never seen a crack that long! You could try a soldering iron but I'd be looking for another tank. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Grandson loves our Allis-Chalmers :handgestures-thumbupright:

Allis-Front_Ags.jpg

RandyLittrell

Here is a pic of the plastic welder we use at work. We do a lot of bumper repairs. 

Ghost, I think its very repairable to me. I am planning on going to the Boonville tractor show in sept if you were going out there. If not, I'm sure we can figure out somewhere to meet.

Randy

np-3-product-large.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell

DennisThornton

There's a heat set epoxy rod that I've had some success with.  Maybe a combination of solder iron welding and that epoxy rod with a torch. I'm concern that maybe there's a design flaw or perhap it was two pieces and never fused correctly when made. 

That epoxy rod is a good thing to have around nonetheless. 

posifour11
On 8/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, Goldnboy said:

I grew up in mclouth. I didn't think anyone else knew the name of the place! Small world. 

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, posifour11 said:

I grew up in mclouth. I didn't think anyone else knew the name of the place! Small world. 

There are some good pulls over in Mcclouth, have been for a few years though.

RandyLittrell
On 8/29/2018 at 8:49 AM, DennisThornton said:

There's a heat set epoxy rod that I've had some success with.  Maybe a combination of solder iron welding and that epoxy rod with a torch. I'm concern that maybe there's a design flaw or perhap it was two pieces and never fused correctly when made. 

That epoxy rod is a good thing to have around nonetheless. 

I haven't seen that Dennis, might check out to have at home. Our pro spot uses hot nitrogen to weld with and is supposed to take the brittleness out of it when you weld the plastic. We have a good selection of different types of plastic rods to weld with. It works pretty well.

Randy

DennisThornton

Randy, that nitrogen welder is new to me but maybe that would have prevented some of my failures.  I done plastic welds that looked good and then completely failed.  Total waste of time!  Then others were fine... 

Spareparts

Good to see some local guys on here, I live over in Lansing. Randy are you related to the Litterell's that ran Fast Lane Engines

raced with the owner years ago,