AlexR

"Wheelhorse" Rust-eze Trailer restoration

AlexR

This is for my 73 wheelhorse oddball or C120 since it has the sticker for it.

P_20180818_170204_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 4

dells68

Gotta say that is one awesome looking little trailer!  I always like the ones that are a little different.  It would look great behind a horse.  If it were me, I'd keep the lugs on it, kinda gives it a tough almost military look.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

I agree with Dells, that is one tuff looking trailer just the way it is, I wouldn't mind if I was using it on wheel horse at all!

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:

I don't think it was commercially made, looks like a very handy home built trailer. Too much craftsmanship for a mass produced unit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Looks pretty much perfect to me...

just the way it is.   :confusion-shrug:

• Like 4

AlexR
45 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:

I don't think it was commercially made, looks like a very handy home built trailer. Too much craftsmanship for a mass produced unit.

I was wondering the same but if somebody did build it themselves they did a really great job the welds and everything look professional. 

I've been looking around for sheet metal for the bottom but I can't find anything big enough and its looking expensive to get a sheet big enough. I can do like a cherry 3/4 by 2 inch real size by getting some from the restore habitat for humanity and just laying it as slats. Or repair the bottom in it for now and see how long it lasts until I can find some sheet metal cheap.

You can see the hole in this photo on the right side behind the wheel base.

P_20180824_200606_vHDR_On.jpg

Edited by AlexC120
  • Like 1

AlexR
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Looks pretty much perfect to me...

just the way it is.   :confusion-shrug:

Photos are deceiving, but it does look good wet.. Dry not so much.

AMC RULES

Maybe, knock some of that rust down...

and apply a satin clear coat then.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

I have a larger trailer that is very much like this one. Mine is a 4'x6' bed and it has a tag from a manufacture but my title says homemade because someone lost the title at some point. Mine has left handed lugnuts on one side so I know its fairly old. You might check the lugnuts on that one too. 

Randy

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, AlexC120 said:

I can do like a cherry 3/4 by 2 inch real size by getting some from the restore habitat for humanity and just laying it as slats.

P_20180824_200606_vHDR_On.jpg

Great find and great price!

Tires look cool..

Your idea of slats makes some sense...

I would cover the bottom and either leave it that color or paint the metal Regal Red. Could even get some fun WH Wannabe stickers from @Vinylguy... He did a great job for me on my wheelbarrow trailer conversion stickers...

:twocents-02cents:

AlexR
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Great find and great price!

Tires look cool..

Your idea of slats makes some sense...

I would cover the bottom and either leave it that color or paint the metal Regal Red. Could even get some fun WH Wannabe stickers from @Vinylguy... He did a great job for me on my wheelbarrow trailer conversion stickers...

:twocents-02cents:

Yeah I'm not sold on slats either only reason I would consider it is because its cheap.

I will be painting it regal red it does look kinda cool the way it is but it will not match my tractor, and at some point I would get some stickers

AMC RULES

Might be high time then...

for another :wh: tractor.  :teasing-poke:

• Excellent 1

AlexR
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Might be high time then...

for another :wh: tractor.  :teasing-poke:

Too late for that.. One day it will not look like a big pile of tetanus. 

P_20180825_205502_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180825_205559_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR

How it looks with the tractor

P_20180825_141556_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180825_141609_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
On 8/25/2018 at 7:19 AM, AlexC120 said:

find some sheet metal cheap.

If you have a salvage yard nearby you may be able to find a large HVAC unit or something to get a big piece from.

Or ask around at metal fabrication shops for scrap or even new cutoff pieces.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

My early Wheel Horse LTD -24 dump cart had some small rust holes in the bottom when I purchased it .

I decided that the best option was to place a new bottom in it that was tig welded into place and coated with black spray truck bed coating.

I oiled down the ret of the trailer and have since doing oiled it about once a year.

I bought the trailer and a 1958 RJ together and I decided to keep them  in the general condition I found them.

I painted the wheels and upgraded tires and motor on the RJ  but they are a pair for sure.

post-339-0-11164600-1394319189_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-95061500-1409493271_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-91610800-1403489370_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-74955000-1399542175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

AlexR

Hate to say it but I'm gonna have to buy some regular trailer 4.80-12 tires because I can buy 2 of those after taxes and everything cheaper then 1 lugged tire

ebinmaine

Alex you can get lugged tires or AG tires on Walmart size 6-12 for about $57 each with free shipping

• Like 2

AlexR
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Alex you can get lugged tires or AG tires on Walmart size 6-12 for about $57 each with free shipping

And I can get 2 supercargo trailer tires 4.80-12 for $46.51 at Wal-Mart after tax :laughing-rofl: 

Honestly 6-12 might be too big for the wheelwells. I know I know it's not gonna look as cool..

Edited by AlexC120

ebinmaine

What size are the original wheels that came with the trailer? If they are 8 in I actually have a set of 8 in ag tires here that I would be willing to sell you very reasonably.

AlexR
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What size are the original wheels that came with the trailer? If they are 8 in I actually have a set of 8 in ag tires here that I would be willing to sell you very reasonably.

Its 12 inch rim by I believe 4 inches wide if it was 8in I could actually get ag tires pretty reasonably

I do appreciate your offer though.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Are the tires ripped or torn?  Could you just tube them?

• Like 1

AlexR
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Are the tires ripped or torn?  Could you just tube them?

They had tubes and yes you could see through the tires in multiple places otherwise I would have definitely used them again

• Sad 1

AlexR

Sorry guys, new tires. Couldn't justify the price of ag tires for just a trailer, the tri ribs probably wouldn't be too good on the ground with heavy weight. So I just got regular small trailer/boat trailer tires.

P_20180829_182313_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180829_195939_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 6