Daron1965

How do you clean the grease off?

Digger 66
8 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Elbow grease...does the least amount of damage..

Yep ^^ 

I stay away from all the "wonder degreasers". 

Highly corrosive .

Good 'ol mineral spirits and a paint brush for this lad . 

• Like 2

bo dawg

I am going to try using any of the cleaners mentioned like simple green and then rinse with a 1 gallon pump sprayer. Less damage and still get the crevices clean. I don’t like using pressure washer if tractor is staying put together. Less chance of getting water where you don’t want it. 

• Like 2

Machineguy
2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Yep ^^ 

I stay away from all the "wonder degreasers". 

Highly corrosive .

Good 'ol mineral spirits and a paint brush for this lad . 

That’s something I’ve never tried. You bet I will now on smaller parts for sure! Thanks 

• Like 2

Machineguy

@Daron1965

These guys are a universe of ideas for doing things! Good stuff and I’m glad you asked about it! 

doc724

My three favorites are WD40, Simple Green-straight, and if I am disassembling something, Purple Power.  I wash the machine afterwards with Dawn and finish with a low pressure spray (like you would water your plants) or a mist. 

• Like 1

Machineguy
1 minute ago, doc724 said:

My three favorites are WD40, Simple Green-straight, and if I am disassembling something, Purple Power.  I wash the machine afterwards with Dawn and finish with a low pressure spray (like you would water your plants) or a mist. 

I’ve not tried WD40 on grease but it works unbelievably well on duct-tape residue and bumper sticker glue!! 

• Like 1

cleat

I use WD40 to clean up oil and grease from my shop floor and work bench as well.

Great cleaner and it dries up after a few minutes.

• Like 3

oneroadkingman
33 minutes ago, cleat said:

I use WD40 to clean up oil and grease from my shop floor and work bench as well.

Great cleaner and it dries up after a few minutes.

I was told with WD-40 it breaks down the grease and breaking down the grease with the oil which helps clean it up.

• Like 2

Daron1965
3 hours ago, Machineguy said:

@Daron1965

These guys are a universe of ideas for doing things! Good stuff and I’m glad you asked about it! 

Thank you,  sometimes I feel a little foolish asking some questions. Everyone on here has been very helpful fueling my new wheelhorse addiction :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

I will vote for WD-40 for some of the delicate operations. Just be patient and give it some time to work.  i degreased a honda Gold Wing inside the shop this winter with the engine still in the bike and Just laid a plastic tarp underneath with sawdust to absorb the drippings. WD is probably as paint friendly as anything i can come up with. When you go in the house, your wife will not have so many problems with strong Diesel or kero smells as WD is not so objectionable..

The WD residue left over can be washed off with Murphy's Oil Soap and it leaves it clean with a bit of a shine. You just wipe it dry and no rinsing is required.

A quality spray bottle seems to minimize wasted product.  Some of the motorcycle guys also use tire shine for final detailing and it will cut the light grease. Another trick is lemon Pledge. I just mentioned these products for people who want to not damage their paint....

• Excellent 1

Digger 66
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Some of the motorcycle guys also use tire shine for final detailing and it will cut the light grease.

If you want something reeeealy good for shining your bike , wheeler , ...whatever , go to Home Depot and in the cleaner section pick yourself up a can of https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Commercial-Polish-14-oz-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner/4383171?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Paint-_-TraditionalCleaning-_-4383171:Zep_Commercial&CAWELAID=&kpid=4383171&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1882&k_clickID=df2f7d3a-d9e6-42a0-bf33-dc0f337cf498&gclid=CjwKCAjw_IPcBRAjEiwAl44Qkb0nhm5lQxY2kjmVjRdnvrHNLUQfMfnoupLl6apmq_By_fIe9jDy_RoCitQQAvD_BwE

Zep Stainless steel polish / cleaner .

The stuff's A M A Z I N G ! .

It has a light oily finish when wiped and is safe to use on everything except clear Lexan .

( Yes , even Motorcycle seats ! ) 

My plastics are pretty faded and scratched on the Can Am but 15 minutes with the Zep stuff makes her look like this ;)

o87dSaC.jpg

tAezz1t.jpg

• Like 1

Mikerodrig27

for cleaning clumped up grease i scrape all that I can with a putty knife then a toothbrush and mineral spirits. 

• Like 1