Capsbearsfan

Hit something while mowing...

Capsbearsfan

Hello,  I am new here.  Sorry if this is not in the correct place.

i have a 210-5 (38” single blade) was mowing and hit something hard that shut everything off.  I turned the pto off, restarted the engine without an issue, but now the pto will not engage.  I did check the belt, and not sure what to look at past that.  Any direction would be great.

thabk you.

lynnmor

Does the mower blade rotate by hand?

Capsbearsfan

Yes the blade spins free as the belt allows.

gwest_ca

30" blade? Click on the pictures. Not necessarily the model you have but should be configured the same.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Capsbearsfan said:

now the pto will not engage.

:WRS:

With the engine not running and the key in the on position you should hear a loud click when the PTO switch is turned on. If not there could be a blown fuse or a wire that has come disconnected.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Maybe when you hit whatever, the belt jumped a pulley and isn't in the correct position to rotate easily.

• Like 1

Capsbearsfan

Thank you, I checked the PTO switch without the motor and no click, so I started checking voltages.  Turned out my battery was about dead, and eithe the stator or voltage regulator are bad.  So I charged it (ordered both stator and reg) figured I could mow while it is fully charged.  Mowed about 10 minutes and it caught on fire!!  Not sure if there is a fusible link off the ignition switch, but that appears where it started.  Luckily not too much damage was done.  Now I just need some more parts....

• Sad 1

posifour11

Oh, geez. Hope it works out. 

• Thanks 1

The Gman

Maybe the regulator caused the problem. If not current protected properly, a spike could have caused it to fail. With no voltage control it might have let the smoke out, (blown the diode up) and all hell broke loose. I'm sure when you cut out the burnt remains you'll find out. :wacko:

Let us know 

• Thanks 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Capsbearsfan said:

Not sure if there is a fusible link off the ignition switch, but that appears where it started.

Sorry to hear about the fire, hope this wiring diagram will help. I would have expected the 15 amp fuse to blow first.

• Excellent 1

Capsbearsfan

Thank you, only have had a few minutes to tear into it.  A single wire from the ignition switch had all of the rubber melted off, and what looked lIke the end of a fuse holder in what was left of the charred mess.  Luckily, the fire was mostly contained to the wires directly off the ignition switch, all others are ok. After looking at the wiring schematic ( super helpful, Thank you!)  I am thinking the diode is what the hard parts were in the wiring.  Unfortunately I will not have too much time to dig into it until next week.

• Like 1

Capsbearsfan

Finally had some time to work on it today.  Basically cut out the plug and wires from the ignition switch and retired it.  Everything except the wire from the engine.  So now, as long as I charge the battery, it runs/mows fine.  My winter project will be to get a new stator and/or voltage regulator.  Thank to everyone for all the help

• Like 1