rmaynard

42" Deck Questions

rmaynard

I just bought a 42" deck from a member in PA. This deck was attached to a 312-8 that he just bought. Anyway, when I got it home I removed the paint covering the tag on the deck and revealed the following:

deck_tag.jpg.dce964625c4abc5b7c38d9fcae399842.jpg

05-42MS05, indicating that it is a 1986 or 1987 model...however the deck itself has me curious. the area where the spindle pulleys are located is recessed, like a pre-1972 deck, but it is equipped with the tach-a-matic mounting hardware, with no indications of modification.

deck.jpg.e95f3018087053b8e3c3ce68269cdb72.jpg

Any help?

JAinVA

I have 2 42" decks and both are recessed like yours.Neither have tags but the newest one came with a 300 hour 97 model.The deck and tractor are in the same condition which lead me to believe they are the same vintage.

• Thanks 1

cleat

All 42" decks I have seen are recessed.

I had one that I rebuilt and it was recessed without that little raised bit by the right spindle.

That proved a good thing as I made up a 1/8" thick plate to just fit into the entire recessed area and it got bolted in with the spindle bolts.

It was a lot of work to make since the outside oval needs to be cut out then the 3 spindle holes need to be drilled out then the spindle mounting bolt holes have to be drilled out and the belt tension mounting holes have to be drilled.

Belt tension assembly I believe got bolted on top of the plate (I sold that deck a couple of years ago).

Really stiffened up the deck. Not as good as the 48" deck plate but actually more similar to the 60" deck plate.

Whenever I bolt one of these plates on I always coat both mating surfaces with grease to help stop rust.

Cleat

Marv

I just finished redoing my MS02 and it has the recessed area. 

Marv

cafoose

I put 05-42MS05 in the search box on the main page at the top and searched all content. It came up with 49 results. Hopefully something in those results will answer your questions. :handgestures-thumbupright:

rmaynard

Interestingly I found on Partstree that the 05-42MS05 was made for the 300/400 series in the late eighties. So, all is well. 

Tankman

Looks like the 42" decks I've owned in the past. Your deck looks excellent. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Is the Zerk fitting center pully broken off? Typical.

I've used 90 degree Zerks there and the front axle center fitting.

rmaynard
20 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Is the Zerk fitting center pully broken off?

I have not looked closely at that. Been raining here again and it's still in the back of my truck.

13 hours ago, cleat said:

All had one that I rebuilt and it was recessed without that little raised bit by the right spindle.

Yeah, that raised line is curious to me. 

rmaynard
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I have not looked closely at that. Been raining here again and it's still in the back of my truck.

Yeah, that raised line is curious to me. 

The Zerk is missing, not broken off.

rmaynard

So upon closer inspection, I have found that the baffles are missing from the underside of the deck housing.

deck_under.jpg.d2550a9ce80b11676f28dfb0cf20e7f2.jpg

The left spindle is leaning, so the top side of the deck is bent.  Two of the spindles need bearings, and there is some straightening that needs to be done on the front side. I am not a welder or fabricator, so the baffles are not going to be done. There are no rust-through holes although the top of the deck is quite pitted in the recessed areas.

So my question is does it need baffles to work correctly? Should I put some money into this deck, or should I just lick my wounds and resell it for parts?

Very important point here, I am not blaming the seller as he did not have time to inspect it before I offered to buy it, and I had ample opportunity to look it over before loading it into my truck. I just would like some opinions on what to do.

chev0545

looking for something newer

thanks

davem1111

I also have some questions about a deck of this model, and decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.

I have an 05-42MS05 that I'd like to repair, and one of the pulleys is very sloppy. That same spindle seems a little "tight" also but the others seem okay. Bearings shot on idler.

My question is, searching the IPL from the Manuals section here, it's showing the same pulleys for the 42 & 48 inch decks. However, I have 2 48" decks, and the pulleys are significantly larger on those than the ones on the 42".  Do you think someone has replaced the pulleys and maybe spindles on this deck with smaller ones at some point? I'll double-check the model again tomorrow when I can see better, but I'm pretty sure I read it right. Thanks!

davem1111

Bumping this up for visibility. I'm sure there are some here who have some knowledge about this deck.  I'll post some pictures in a while, if that helps.

gwest_ca

Unless the illustrated parts list is an original it fails to identify what assembly uses what parts.

With many lists shared by more than one model it gets confusing.

The top of the parts list will have item numbers for one model with part numbers and the bottom of the list will have some of the same item numbers with different part numbers.

The top parts may be for the 42" decks and the bottom parts for 48" decks.

Pulleys, blades and belts are the common but different parts.

Here is an original parts list so you can compare to an online list.

• Thanks 1

davem1111
37 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Unless the illustrated parts list is an original it fails to identify what assembly uses what parts.

With many lists shared by more than one model it gets confusing.

The top of the parts list will have item numbers for one model with part numbers and the bottom of the list will have some of the same item numbers with different part numbers.

The top parts may be for the 42" decks and the bottom parts for 48" decks.

Pulleys, blades and belts are the common but different parts.

Here is an original parts list so you can compare to an online list.

Okay, I see now.  The side pulley for the 42" is 109967, not 110146.  That makes more sense.   Thanks!