jcb857

Ridemaster

jcb857

Checking local craigslist and found a ridemaster with two attachments 45 min away and the price was in my budget so well you know I just had to go get it. This is going to be my winter project. The Wisconsin has good compression but I am going to make this one look new. It came with the high clearance attachment and corn sprayer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Very interesting looking rig.

Keep us posted on the rebuild please.

What's the "high clearance" attachment??

jcb857

From what I have learned they used it when cultivating and spraying crops as you can set the back wheel spacing as you desire and front is narrow enough to go between rows.

jcb857

This is what it looked like before I put it on trailer

image.png

• Like 2

ebinmaine

That is some kinda unique.

Lookin forward to seeing this build.

Chris G

Those are awesome machines. Just seen this one over the weekend at a local fair

20180818_224135.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jcb857

That ridemaster looks great. 

Chris G
6 hours ago, jcb857 said:

That ridemaster looks great. 

Ya the gentlemen that shows that particular bolens, has got several really sharp machines. This is a

Ride-A-Matic that he fully restored. 

20180818_224104.jpg

20180818_224113.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
7 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Ya the gentlemen that shows that particular bolens, has got several really sharp machines. This is a

Ride-A-Matic that he fully restored. 

20180818_224104.jpg

20180818_224113.jpg

he is on a couple other forums goes by bolens1000, and he has an online business for some parts, he does some nice restorations.  I have a 57 super ride a matic in line to be restored someday, but I keep getting sidetracked  by these wheelhorses that I keep bringing home

Edited by jabelman
  • Excellent 1

jcb857

Wow they are sharp looking. He does nice work for sure. Thanks for the info. I have been looking around to see what shade of green and yellow everyone has been using.

rjg854

On my Bolens , I basically used Greenbay Packers colors 

• Thanks 1

jcb857

It has been a little slow but I had a fee nice days to work on the ridemaster. New back rims and tires came in sand blasted rims and put some color on them. New holland yellow

image.jpeg

jcb857

Lots of work to be done on steering wheel. But it is going to turn out good

image.jpeg

jcb857

I plan to get the rest of it torn down this weekend and get ready to sandblast. New front blank rims on order and then weld original centers in them. The rear original rims are very nice they will be going on an original ridemaster that will not be restored.

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, jcb857 said:

work to be done on steering wheel

Please post pics of this process.

I'm fascinated to see how that will be done.

WHNJ701

I plan to get the rest of it torn down this weekend and get ready to sandblast. New front blank rims on order and then weld original centers in them. The rear original rims are very nice they will be going on an original ridemaster that will not be restored.

that's surprising on the rims guess they weren't factory loaded, bolens used some nasty stuff that rotted rims 

WHNJ701

Lots of work to be done on steering wheel. But it is going to turn out good

image.jpeg

that's a project buts it can be saved, I have redone a few just as bad, it takes time, a dremel, bondo, jb weld, 12 pack miller lite, and lots of sanding, prime and paint.

I guess i could have replaced a few but I always try to keep the original steering wheel on the tractors I redo 

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

bondo, jb weld, 12 pack miller lite

What are the proper percentages and ratios and sequences and suches and so forth here ??

• Haha 2

jcb857
10 hours ago, jabelman said:

that's surprising on the rims guess they weren't factory loaded, bolens used some nasty stuff that rotted rims 

I am surprised by how good of shape the rear rims are in.They still have some of the decals on them. Maybe they never filled them or the original owner only had the high clearance attachment on during crop growing season and sat in dry barn for rest of the rest of the year. I will get a couple pics of them for you.

jcb857

Pic of decal on back rim. No fluid in them. Not perfect but nice originals for there age.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

jcb857

It is so hot out I don't work on it long after work. This is what it looks like now. Going to make list of steel I am going to have to go get to start making new parts.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

rjg854
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, rjg854 said:

On my Bolens , I basically used Greenbay Packers colors 

IMG_20140622_115810_732.jpg.f8796e16d8f555c6686964b98ef0d677.jpgIMG_20140622_115945_937.jpg.a0c2131e5b1ad96bfcde376b97f946be.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

jcb857

Nice job. Have you ever used it to move snow? I always wonderd how much those walk behinds could push.

rjg854

You bet I used it to push snow, for probably 10 years.  I originally bought it to regrade my yard after a septic system install.  I figured if it could push that much dirt, snow wouldn't be a problem.  The thing is all chain drive with a clutch for each wheel. Thats how you turn it, by disengaging one of the clutches and then spinning on the disengaged wheel.  There's no reverse.  Nothing stops this beast. You could put it against a tree with the clutches engaged and the wheels will continue to turn. Never had to use snow chains . It was actually a lot of fun to use.  Then I discovered Wheel Horse,  been riding ever since :ychain:

• Like 1

Dakota8338

The walkers fill a niche, the small riders cannot and vice versa.  I like the riders better, but for some things the walkers are still superb.  I have an old David Bradley with several pieces of equipment, but without a reverse it can get in a bind occasionally.  I prefer the Wheel Horses, but they are just too small for some things, so larger tractors also have their place in our lives.