Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Suburban 551 Restore

Coadster32

Finally organizing some pics. I started off with two 551's. The goal is to make one nice one, and the other funtionable.

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

Yeah I know, this one is yellow. (Guess which one I'm restoring though)

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

Between the two, I have almost all original parts!! (exept for the 5.5 Lauson)

I got into electrolosis to clean the parts. I works awesome, and effortless.

DSCF1264.jpg

Before

DSCF1265.jpg

The setup

DSCF1266.jpg

Into the tank for about 3 days

DSCF1267.jpg

Comes out a little stainded

DSCF1268.jpg

Wash with dishwashing soap

DSCF1270.jpg

Paint

DSCF0030.jpg

Time to do the rest of it

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

Whole frame in the tank

DSCF0039-1.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

Sometimes we get distracted

DSCF1107.jpg

It's ALIVE!!

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

I will post more when they come in. The tranny and engine are next. I have three-ribs for the front, and AG's for the rear. All of the links attached to the frame are black, the rims, and seat are off white, the rest is red.

stevebo

Looks great! tell me how that tank set up works....

TJ

Looking good. :thumbs:

Guest fireman

Ya. give us your parts list for electrolosis set up. I want to make one for some of the parts. It will sure beat the sand blaster.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. Or better yet, show up at my house on the 29th and you can help me put it together.

Rollerman

Chris...the 551 is looking great.

I remember reading a thread by Sorekiwi "Mike" about the electrolysis.

Set up my own tank & am impressed too.

For anyone wanting to try it do a search on "electrolysis"

Coadster32

show up at my house on the 29th and you can help me put it together

I'm going to try to make that. I don't want to commit yet, but I'm trying to plan on it. I'll bring my other 551. If I go, I'll definatly help you set it up. I suggest you getting a PLASTIC 45 gallon garbage can, like the one in the pic with the frame. I rusted thru two 55 gallon steel drums. I'll post another thread with pics on the setup for all to see. :thumbs:

Guest fireman

Thanks Chris and hope you can make it to the get together.

Jeff

WHC-125

Looks great maybe I can stop by this weekend or next weekend and check it out (Or whenever the cutter comes in) :thumbs: :whistle:

pickledhorse

Posted your project in the nick of time for me. :thumbs: Just finished taking it all apart and was going to sandblast, but wow, your approach looks much better. Did your potion take the paint off, too? And did you brew everything for 3 days? Also, how do you put so many large pics up, if it's not too much trouble to explain? :whistle:

Coadster32

Did your potion take the paint off, too? And did you brew everything for 3 days? Also, how do you put so many large pics up, if it's not too much trouble to explain?

How long it takes in the tank depends on a few things. Pretty much, you just watch it and you'll know when the part is done. This method removes ANYTHING from the surface of the metal..rust,paint,grease,etc. That's right, you don't even have to wipe it down!! The water can last indefinatly without changing. You'll need to add more due to evaporation though. I will try to get a new thread in this weekend sometime to better explain it. If I do it step by step with pics, people will likely get it easily.

Signup to photobucket,(free). Download your pics at 640X480. When you get them downloaded, you'll see them on the page. Put your mouse over one of the pics, but don't click. Below it a menu will be pop up. In there will be an "image code". Next to it you'll see a "IMG:http//...." in grey. Click on that, and you'll see it turn blue. Then, right click on it, and copy it. When you are typing in your post on this site, just right click and paste your pic. I useually "tab" browse to do this. That way I can throw pics in fast. It seems cumbersome, but once you get the hang of it, it's great. Pics load really fast. You can also preview them before you post also. Sorry so long, but you asked. I hope this helps. :thumbs:

Coadster32

Just finished taking it all apart and was going to sandblast

Sandblasting is a great approach. If you have one availible for free, I say go for it. I am doing this restore project at lunch time at work. So when a part takes three days without effort, that works best for me. If I could sandblast all of these peices and paint them in one day, I probably would. Either method works great. :whistle: I just don't seem to have the time to do this at home. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I remember reading a thread by Sorekiwi "Mike" about the electrolysis.

Here's a link to my post descibing how I've been doing it: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3799

Its a general post on how to set up the tank to clean things up, but what people dont realise is how useful it is to free up frozen parts. The post I linked to descibed throttle and choke cables that would not move at all until I zapped them in the tank, and now they are quite useable. Last week I threw in a frozen clutch/brake linkage which oxy/acetylene wouldnt free up - 45 minutes later I unscrewed the thing with my fingers. It works great for cleaning up parts, but it will do much more as well.

There is some more pics of parts that have been zapped at the end of this post:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8138

The project is looking great Chris! :thumbs:

WHC-125

I am going to use electrolysis on some of the parts for my B-80 restore

:thumbs: for all the info

Coadster32

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3799

That is the correct thread. Thanks for posting it mike. I couldn't remember who did it. That's where I got the idea from. For all who want to see how to do it, go to that link. I do it the same exact way. I use a DC variator, and draw about 4 amps untill parts are well done. The more metal you have to conduct, the better. It works by line of sight, so if you can surround the part to be cleaned, the better you will be. I haven't had a need to use it to free up parts, but it is in the back of my head for future refernece. DO NOT use stainless for the conductor. Remember Eric Brochovich?

HorseFixer

Its a general post on how to set up the tank to clean things up, but what people dont realise is how useful it is to free up frozen parts. The post I linked to descibed throttle and choke cables that would not move at all until I zapped them in the tank, and now they are quite useable.

Mike how do you think this would wok on unfreezing a steering wheel off the shaft? What would it do to the rubber? :omg:

Coadster32

Well it certainly has been a while since I last posted an update. I am DEFINATLY not as quick as the Duke, but I have only been working on it at the shop, and only at lunch. Alot of days, I didn't do anything, but eat. Please keep in mind, this is my first restore job, so go easy on me.

DSCF0087.jpg

Checking runout on the axles before disasembly. Total on these was .002.

DSCF0082.jpg

Yucky muck inside.

DSCF0086.jpg

Needed a new shiftfork, input shaft/third gear/first gear/3 bearings/all new seals/and gasket.

DSCF0090.jpg

Pinions and shafts were all in good condition.

DSCF0021.jpg

Reassembled on the bench. Waited a couple of days to fill er up.

DSCF0023-1.jpg

Didn't wait at all to put it all back together.

DSCF0103-1.jpg

DSCF0088-1.jpg

Here's a motor I got to work with. I have the original, but wanted a runner on it so I could drive it around. At first, I was just going to bolt it on and go, but I couldn't help myself. Since I seen it run nice with my own eyes, I decided to tear it apart.

DSCF0090-1.jpg

See what I mean. Anyway, New points, condencer, spark plug, air filter, and a good cleaning. Vavle clearance was good. No need to do anything else as it already runs.

DSCF0109-1.jpg

Sure looks pretty. I also wired in a kill switch as it didn't have one before.

DSCF0024.jpg

Rolling chassis, here wecome!!

DSCF0041-1.jpg

DSCF0042-1.jpg

DSCF0043-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

I moved the local of the uni-drive decal to make way for the licence plate. I also am waiting for my buddy's mother to paint my kids names on the fenders for me. I redesigned a new type hitch pin, so I won't have to beat my brains out in the future. Since I made this out of two 551s, The hood support I had to cut. It seems that the one I had was custom fit to the other frame. When I bolted it onto this frame, it bound up the sterring wheel. Since this motor isn't original,it made it an easier decision to lop it off. I will keep it for the future. When I weld it back on, I'll do it in place, so it doesn't twist the frame. The imp. lever I decided last minute not to include it. I have that in storage, all painted up. I even bought a new rubber peice for it. I will make something for the hitch, as I will be using it to tow the kids around in the radio flyer.

DSCF0044-1.jpg

DSCF0045-1.jpg

I made a custom Horse head hood ornament, and had it chrome plated.

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

These pics I'm not happy to post. The motor I saw run before, doesn't run now. This is a whole other story. :thumbs2: :thumbs:

chamjack

You are doing a very nice job. Nice pics of your progress.

WHC-125

Chris, that 551 is looks amazing :thumbs: Cant wait to see it over the summer and I could picture you now driving that to work :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

Sweet :thumbs2: Like the color combination. :thumbs: :ychain:

HorseFixer

Chris good Job! :thumbs2: I like the black also. :thumbs:

wallfish

Looks great Chris!

Sorry to hear about the motor. :thumbs2: What happened? :thumbs: It was running great when it was pulled off. Is it possible that the kill switch you added is constantly grounding the spark?

Bill

Looks Great Chris, I saw it in a 100 pieces a few times, looks good to see it all together... I think you should take a patent out on that hood ornament before Wh-125 Chris steals the Idea from you... :thumbs: :thumbs2:

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, Chris. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

I think you should take a patent out on that hood ornament before Wh-125 Chris steals the Idea from you...

How does the syaing go.. always copied, never duplicated. It wouldn't be a one of a kind if another was made. The motor is really bugging me. Hinesite I think some of it was self inflicted, but nothing out of the ordinary mainteneince that shouldn't have been addressed in the first place. Untill I get it right, I won't comment further on it. (The kill switch is ok though.) I am not giving up, now it's personal.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I wanted to tow my kids around for fathers day with it. I settled on the Charger12, and 854 for todays towing duties. No heartbreak there.

Duff

GREAT job Chris! Looking sah-weet!!!! :thumbs2:

Duff :thumbs: