JAinVA

Name change

JAinVA

This may be only temporary but I think I will change the name of the Big Ugly 520 to the royal pita tractor.I have been using it to gather wood when I noticed that the right rear seal was leaking.I ordered new seals and was going to put them in today.I went to drain the trans when the hex in the drain plug stripped.The wrench was bottomed in the plug,argh! Removing the hubs is a chore but a 10 ton porta power gets it done.I guess it's time to do a refresh on Big Ugly as the trans has to be removed to drill out the plug.Winters coming and I haven't finished the 312A custom yet.Hate to vent but life's fun some times.

• Like 4

953 nut

You may be able to gently drive a TORX bit into the hex hole and get it to come out. May ruin the plug or bit but better than having to drill it out.

Image result for torques bit

• Like 5

JAinVA

Thanks for the tip.This machine had not seen cover since new.I fear that it will be drill and tap time.It may be that Big Ugly might be telling me it's time for some attention. 

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Had same issue on same tranny. @fast88pu had to bring in higher grade easy outs to break it free at @stevebo last fall meet and greet. With right tool he made it look easy.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jerry77
10 hours ago, JAinVA said:

royal pita tractor.

Life's just one big thrill after another..............:(

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

When you install the new plug,wrap it with Teflon tape thread sealer.Also had the same problem as you.I usually buy new plug that has outside square head.Either brass or steel.Makes it easier to remove next time.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

I was thinking about the square head brass plug.I know why they used the recessed heads but I don't plan on going rock crawling on the WH.Thanks for the answers and suggestions.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

EricF

I did my trans oil change on my 520 this spring, and found the plug was either overtightened or in the early stages of seizing up. Hit it with PB blaster every day or so for a week, and it reluctantly came out. Looked like the last time it was put in, they didn't use any thread sealant at all -- just tightened the heck out of it. :doh:Cleaned it up and pit it back with PTFE (teflon) pipe thread sealant on it so we won't repeat that again...

Unfortunately, the wheel horse manuals don't say anything about using any pipe thread sealant on the plug -- but if I'm not mistaken, it uses a pipe thread profile and therefore should have sealant paste or modern tape applied in order to fully seal without over-tightening.

dcrage

Seems like there have been stringent warnings posted here about putting anything on these plugs that could end up in the hydro mechanism. I think thread sealant was supposed to be really bad. Am I wrong on this??

JAinVA

Thread sealant like a brush on may be a problem due to contamination.Ribbon dope or Teflon tape should not be an issue as long as it doesn't project above the inner end if the plug.

Edited by JAinVA